Growing the IBS

Gray fox
IM' referring to GROUP matches. Weikert had (98) + shooters this year.
Camillus got 48 Shooters this year. I have no idea what you charge for matches either..
Shooting score [that is fun], is entirely adifferent game. It was intended to get the average hunter out with his Hunting rifle. Now there are three different types of score shooting {short range}
You haven't followed anything/ The whole thread is about Growing Group shooting. and growing IBS
I wish you folks would stay on subject

As an IBS Score competitor for over 10 years, this is exactly why I have shyed away from attending Group matches....even though they are in close proximity. It's the attitude ******! You want more attendance at Group matches, yet you ignore trying to recruit shooters who already have the equipment, and knowledge, to compete.......Score shooters. Perhaps the IBS should have an annual group/score shoot to bring us back to the same page, because right now we are talking past one another. I have competed against very few cross-over Group shooters, Harley Baker, Bob White, Allie Euber, are a few that I can recall. I don't think most group shooters have any concept of the Score discipline.
As far as the original intent of Score....it died once Custom actions were allowed in the 6x Hunter Classes. The overwhelming participants in score are now in the VFS class ( at least here in the Northeast) which sees basically the same equipment as used in Group.

Last edited:
As far as the sour grapes attitude towards the IBS by those who continually trash it.......I am fortunate to live in the area were Benchrest was born...so I have many clubs where I can choose to shoot.After 2 (or more) generations of shooters from the same families ,it has naturally survived in this area. It is ONLY to the credit of those individuals who choose to do the hard work running these matches that I have this opportunity. I CAN compete against the BEST in REGISTERED competition.....and there's always the possibility of getting in the RECORD BOOKS. This is a BIG DEAL to me. It makes me practice harder, try to keep up with the learning curve harder....just makes me a better COMPETITOR-----not just a better shooter. Those naysayers do NOT have these opportunities, only because they lack the will or work ethic to get a Nationally Sanctioned Club up and running. This is where I have to give the UBR credit, because they did exactly that, and hopefully there will be cross-over of shooters between the two organizations --shooter-wise. I just don't believe there is much to be gained in shooting low level "club shoots", and it is unfortunate that no one is willing to take initiative to take their shoots to true Benchrest level.

Last edited:
"You can please some of the people all the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time"
NBRSA and IBS have provided structured organizations for our ahooting sport of Benchrest shooting. Without structure, very few organizations survive!
Group benchrest shooting was and is at the center of our sport and was born out of a few shooters that strived to make rifles more accurate. These few individuals met at certain times to use their innovations to prove that what they were trying, was a better way of doing things. It was never a "large" group of people....Just those that enjoyed shooting the most accurate rifles, bullets, powders, scopes, and rifle designs!
I do not believe that this fraternity of shooters will ever be very numerous because of the nature of the game. Expense, distant travel, and the ability to try new designs will limit our sport to "just a few" competitors, comparitively speaking. Our sport is not sanctiond by the NRA and this I feel is a large "NEGATIVE" ! With their support would come advertising of our sport in a nationaly recognized monthly publication and thus reach far more people than we can now, but not for free!
Score shooting is a Johnny come lately sport that is really only loosely associated with the original sport of Benchrest Shooting! It is enjoyable and a change of pace for a sport that can become somewhat boring to some people.....and provides a venue for those that really don't have the desire to group shoot.
We that shoot Benchrest enjoy what we do and all structured associations aside, there would and will be Benchrest shooting of some sort to those that wish to seek it!
I do not believe that either the IBS or the NBRSA wish to limit numbers of shooter in our sport but internal political posturing by these organizations is not a positive situation. Internal politics must be removed from these organizations in order to bring the shooting, the rules (which are very necessary), and the structure, which is also very necessary, into complete and total view of the members.
Dues to be a member are also very necessary. No organization can operate without funds, just think about that! Dues could however, be levied on a match by match basis ( XX % of match fees to the organization) rather than a yearly membership. In this way, if a person wishes to shoot in a match, they provide a stipend to the organization each and every time they participate. I'm not so sure that this would really work....but it is an alternative to the current way of doing things.
Awards.....these are necessary evils of all sports. Some want a trophy or plaque, some want certificates, some don't care. For those that would rather compete for money, why not have a structured Calcutta before each match....auctioning off competitors one at a time. These can provide for rather large payouts and cost those that don't wish to participate absolutely nothing!
WE are all in this sport together and should strive to cooperate with one another to bring the sport together, not to drive it apart!
Just my very humble opinion....
Mark

Mark,

What you wrote is probably the best summary of what is going on in Benchrest (not "benchrest") today. I have been a member of both the IBS and NBRSA since I started shooting in 1995. The numbers have declined, and that seems to be attributable a number of factors: cost, entry barriers, travel distances, occasionally political infighting, shooters dying off and many simply quitting. I view simple apathy as the biggest deterrent to our sport growing. There are quite a few more shooters who own competitive equipment than shoot registered matches. And this is not an easy and inexpensive game to try and be truly competitive at. And there are more shooters quitting or deceasing than are joining our ranks.

There are quite a few well-intentioned officials in this sport who have who are trying to grow our ranks. But, it seems that the antagonists and shear apathy eventually wear them down. We should thank each and every one of those guys and gals who volunteer to run our matches and make great efforts to make the matches attractive.

I love shooting benchrest. When I can't go to a match, I often go to our local range and try some different combinations simply to relax. But, if we didn't have some sort of registered match, sooner or later the simple range-only exercise becomes seemingly useless.

In my capacity as an NBRSA director I have looked at this sport and wondered how to grow its ranks. I am convinced that it is a three step process:

1) The one-day local, non-registered matches (I call it the "Dick Wright-Harrison, MI Model") where you can shoot what you show up with still draw more shooters than some of our local two-day registered matches. Giving someone a venue where they aren't turned away and can try the match environment brings them in and often back. Harrison has factory, custom and benchrest class. I would venture a guess that Harrison may have brought at least 50 or more shooters into Benchrest in Michigan since I started shooting; including a Super Shoot winner Steve Robbins and several Hall of Fame point earners.

2) At these local non-registered matches you need to have someone there who may be viewed as a mentor and the full-blown equipment gets showcased. The guy who got me "hooked" in Benchrest 17 years ago was the same guy who I battled out for the Two-gun at the Eastern Regionals last weekend. Jim Hutchison is truly one of those mentor types. They are at the local ranges and if they help the new guy get started off on the right foot, the sport will continue. Having these shooters at the local matches are the best ambassadors to the sport.

3) We need to bring the guys who have shot in the past back into the game. Whether it’s by having more attractive matches, more money shoots, a reintroduction campaign, calling and invitation, bribery, whatever coercion it takes. But, the biggest losses we seem to be having at our registered matches are those who have competed before. I still believe that shooting Benchrest is less expensive than any kind of hobby that involves wheels or a propeller (air or water).

We certainly need to get the sport back into the limelight of what it truly is; the state of the art in accuracy and precision in the shooting sports. Whether it’s by association with the NRA or by whatever marketing means available, this is critical.

I agree with Mark R, there will always be a gathering of like-minded shooters to compete with benchrest-style equipment. There are just too many of us who like to shoot these rifles and try and push the limits of accuracy and precision. How that continues formally is up to all of us to try and pull together.

Joe Krupa
NBRSA Eastern Region Director (until after the Nationals in October)

let me tell you one thing..BULLSCHIT...
had a national sanctioned club..that was schit upon by the east coast dominatated iBS.
well documented.
just another person from the north east with rose collered glasses.

mike in co

mike in co
As far as the sour grapes attitude towards the IBS by those who continually trash it.......I am fortunate to live in the area were Benchrest was born...so I have many clubs where I can choose to shoot.After 2 (or more) generations of shooters from the same families ,it has naturally survived in this area. It is ONLY to the credit of those individuals who choose to do the hard work running these matches that I have this opportunity. I CAN compete against the BEST in REGISTERED competition.....and there's always the possibility of getting in the RECORD BOOKS. This is a BIG DEAL to me. It makes me practice harder, try to keep up with the learning curve harder....just makes me a better COMPETITOR-----not just a better shooter. Those naysayers do NOT have these opportunities, only because they lack the will or work ethic to get a Nationally Sanctioned Club up and running. This is where I have to give the UBR credit, because they did exactly that, and hopefully there will be cross-over of shooters between the two organizations --shooter-wise. I just don't believe there is much to be gained in shooting low level "club shoots", and it is unfortunate that no one is willing to take initiative to take their shoots to true Benchrest level.

I have read this thread with great interest. It reminds me of two quotes from Winston Churchill:

1) "It is good that you have enemies. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

2) A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."

We may all be better off viewing Benchrest as a single community, with several interesting but diverse disciplines. I heard our new Eastern Region Director Jack Neary make this comment at our recent Regional get-together (and I don't have a cite on who originated this one): If you are not part of the solution, you are definitely part of the problem.

Last edited:
joe,
i read your post and saw no issues.
the question was how to grow.
the problem is too many want no growth they like thier private club.
and too many ignore that there are issues.

we get post for you cant do that, it will not work, and i like how it is , its great.......

it would appear that the current membership( those left after we left do to the way we have been treated) have no desire to change a single thing PERIOD

i agree if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the probelm...the problem is the current membership does not think there isa PROBLEM to solve.

mike in co
I have read this thread with great interest. It reminds me of two quotes from Winston Churchill:

1) "It is good that you have enemies. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

2) A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."

We may all be better off viewing Benchrest as a single community, with several interesting but diverse disciplines. I hear our new Eastern Region Director Jack Neary make this comment at our recent Regional get-together (and I don't have a cite on who originated this one): If you are not part of the solution, you are definitely part of the problem.

Mike,

When you get close to something (and I believe that I have been as close to the politics in Benchrest as anyone), you can see all the worts and scars. I basically wonder how our lives would change in this sport if we didn't have any sort of governing (some may call it "solidifying") organization under which to hold matches.

I'm viewed as one of the younger guys in this sport (which is part of the problem because I will be eligible for Social Security in less than two years). All the Bullschit aside, I simply like shooting competitive benchrest; even with all of the cumbersome rules. And I want to have some place to shoot and someone to compete against in the future. Otherwise, I have a lot of usable equipment that I won't be able to sell.

joe,
you have done well, and are in the golden triangle( well rectangle) of the core of iBS.
i have nothing against the people who live and shoot there.
the title of the org is INTERNATIONAL BS...and they cannot get out of the north east...
i built a rifle to shoot iBS long range, and within a year of that, iBS is dropped from the club..because of the way they were treated( again well documented).
part of the issue is three disticnt disciplines..so i started three thread do keep the apples from the oranges..and immediately got slammed by hal.....
so much for moving forward positively.
mike in co

bob split it in three groups..varmit,hunter and sniper(heavy bbl)...split the varmit/hunter by case capacity....good old 30-30 works for the begining of hunter.

mike in co
I would like to try a factory sporter class( No not the one we have now which is just another light varmit class less the 22's). Maybe a factory action with a # 5 contour limit and sporter stock. The use of bipods if one doesn't have the money for a rest like we normaly use.Scope power could be discussed. In my club we have a factory sporter class but only the ones with the factory Sako's in PPC win . I for one would not burn out the barrel on one of those fine rifles so that is why I am say you could rebarrel. I am open for discussion on this.
Brush

I, once again, feel the necessity to ply my poor typing and grammar skills.

IMHO.....Benchrest, at it's inception, was not intended to draw throngs of shooters, nor was it intended to be turned into a shooting sport for all ages and rifles.
Benchrest shooting was started by a loose knit group of like thinking shooters that wanted to be at the forefront with regard to improving rifle accuracy through inovation, PERIOD!
What has evolved is a shooting sport that feels the need to satisfy everyone even remotely interested in shooting a rifle off a bench in some kind of competition. Somehow, we now feel the need to draw crowds of people to one of our matches. We feel the need to develop a "class" for anyone that is interested.
A few examples (I hope no one takes offense because none is intended) would be Factory Class, Hunter Class, and Sporter Class.
Factory Class- I believe was intended to bring in those entry level people that think that they might be interested in benchrest shooting. This has turned out not to be the case because everyone wants to win and therefore will make any modification necessary to their "factory" rifle including triggers, scopes, re-crowning barrels, changing stocks as long as they might have been offered on that rifle at one time...on and on ad infinitum also to include cheating the rules, all in the vein of winning.
Hunter Class- Really a true benchrest rifle in most aspects except using "hunting class" type ammunition and a 6 power scope. I believe at one time may have really been intended as a "hunting rifle factory class".
Sporter class- I've got no idea where this came from as it is nothing more than a LV rilfle that must shoot .230 bullets or larger. It appears that this class was developed with the single intent to exclude 22 caliber rifles.
So, I have mentioned three classes that have been brought into the Benchrest game that really don't meet the original intent of the Benchrest game, and are there solely to potentionally bring more shooters into "benchrest shooting"
I may be wrong here, but I don't believe that "Benchrest" conpetition was ever intended to have extremely large numbers of participants. No one was ever turned away from a shoot because of technically inferior equipment, nor were the rules changed to coddle those that didn't exactly see it the way it was.

How to "grow" the IBS, or the NBRSA for that matter, I don't know that it can be done effectively and for that matter, I really don't know that it should grow...beyond it's natural bounds.
You can offer free hamburgers at every shoot and many will ask if you've got any fish sandwiches. Once again, you can't satisfy all the people all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
gentlemen and ladies,
the split to three seperate thread was to remove the in fighting and to zero in on topics relevent to each discipline. there were/are obvious discipline topics views subjects.
mike in co

The best I can say at this time is my knowledge as a Benchrest shooter has been passed on to help convenience the new Benchrest this is a tuff sport but if you hang tuff you will succeed.

I have been told that I am a magnet to the New Shooters coming on board and I really do not mind as I have always put my best foot forward in trying to help the new shooter and steer them in the right direction to becoming successful in this sport.

So bring on the New and even the Old Benchrest shooters as I will always try to make my self available in providing the best knowledge and information that I know about this sport and hobby.

Russell

Growing IBS

There's a new thread thought about benchrest shooting . it pretty good too.

I think there s alack of will at the top about promoting Benchrest Group shooting

Group shooting is way way different then score shooting although I must admit score shooting is also a lot of fun.

IBS for some reason has marketed score shooting more then group shooting.
Maybe it's because score In shooting is way easier to run match's and you can have more match per year in score.
Maybe it's the $$ long range is doing better but not really all that big.
Of course we have another rule change to be voted on this year another for Long range.
IBS should spend some money promoting group shooting if they want It to survive.
The post mentions shows my views on what needs to be done Local clubs are not going to spend the money to promote any kind of shooting from what I've seen.

I'm going to put this o the line here .
I've spent a few K $ promoting match,s only to be criticized for doing so by a club President For what reason Ill never Know.
It appears as though it was petty, or lack of appreciation It kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth swallowing that BS .
Here's some of the stuff i was told It's too much work' We can't shut down the club for the shoots Hey you shouldn't spend your own money for prizes .
WE don't need the money, etc etc And that guy scores the match collects the fees and always over shadowed you .
He also didn't like the idea of having more then 1 match even after the matches made a profit of 2 to 3 K$ on a match after expenses.
what would you call a person like that? Is he a friend of Benchrest?

Last edited:
"I think there s alack of will at the top about promoting Benchrest Group shooting " - GerryM

You're right given the current face of the situation. However, there's been tons of folks that have worked like hell to promote group shooting much to no avail. That said, there really is no "top".

Growing IBS

That depends on which way you take my statement.
IBS wasn't doing all that much to promote Group.

I promoted it and spent quite a bit to keep it going and get better turn outs.
IBS Is a closed organization these days ONLY IBS directors have a real say on Issues.

Once upon a time Clubs had a lot to say about the direction of that organization and vote on the important issues { like spending money to promote the games}
Now it a different story Only IBS directors have a say in the direction of that organization.

The annual meeting is lightly attended these days.

I don't have the knowledge to know if what you say has basis. I didn't think the IBS had directors but rather thought it was solely run by the membership. Actually, the membership can do whatever they please given that enough members are on the same boat. That doesn't happen very often!

There was no intention there either way but I confess that I didn't read carefully enough to quote your words. I apologize.

Back