Growing the IBS

Don't know about the IBS but the NBRSA allows for any new shooter to shoot his first registered match without being a member of the NBRSA. He/she will still have to pay the match fees though. I'd like to see these waived for the new shooter too, but that is a match director choice, not the NBRSA's. I think most match directors would go for that. Sure, it would be a loss initially, but if the shooter gets hooked and becomes a regular it would pay off in the long run.

Last edited:
Take it FWIW, but UBR does not currently require membership from competitors.

That's good to know; now, if I could just convince myself to drive nine hours (round trip) to shoot.

Don't know about the IBS but the NBRSA allows for any new shooter to shoot his first registered match without being a member of the NBRSA. He/she will still have to pay the match fees though. I'd like to see these waived for the new shooter too, but that is a match director choice, not the NBRSA's. I think most match directors would go for that. Sure, it would be a loss initially, but if the shooter gets hooked and becomes a regular it would pay off in the long run.

Thanks for the information; maybe I'll ask the Shamrock guys to waive the match fee also -- for a first-timer with a factory gun. I"m sure that would be enough to get me to the line. :eek:

Last edited:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing that being specifically addressed in either rule book, but I have seen it done and think it's a good idea. IBS does have a junior program that allows for 1/2 price membership, already.

and this attitude is why my club has a waiting list to get in and yours does not.....
narrow minded approach to fixing the problem...you on the inside..SEE NO PROBLEMS....

PLEASE NOTE:
i was an iBS MEMBER for years
..i only recently did not renew...sorta when the 1000yd disaster hit the colorado rifle club....

put your blinders on, and continue as you have......
i apoligize for the poor manners of those who have attacked me, instead of following your thread.
mike in co
Wilbur Question:

Can this forum be adjusted to if you are Not a IBS or NBRSA member you will not be able to post or can we start a section for members only.

This is not directed to anyone specific but I feel the registered shooters that particitate's in the sport should be able to voice there opinions on a Particitate Competitive Benchrest Shooting Level ( PCBSL )

We’re here to prove that you can compete with the best of world benchrest, without deep pockets, and with a limited amount of components, and with a limited amount of time. It can be done with a ‘never quit’ attitude, and with the help of friends in the benchrest community.

Why should you drive nine hours, one way, to go to a shoot? We owe that to the people who sacrifice their week-ends: the target crew, the scorers, the kitchen crew, the range officer, the people who organized the event - and the best way we can support them is to participate. If we don’t show our support to those most important people, who are the most often taken for granted - then we’re the ones who are failing.

Ask us why we love to see our friends in western Michican, in Detriot, in Weikert, in Kane, in Ohio. We go to the Supershoot because all our friends from around the world will be there, and they know who we are, and we want to get caught up with them.

In what other sport do we have the privilege to travel around the world? To look over the shooting range in South Africa and feel like we’re at home. To stand at an awards ceremony with friends from other countries, and be proud to stand for their national anthem. And to have them stand for ours.

There’s been a lot of churn on this thread, and folks are more focused on the ‘why we can’t’ rather than ‘how we can’ grow the sport. Let’s move on with some positive ideas on how we can get there.

Well
I spent my day off getting the Albuquerque range ready for next weekends match,raised 4600.00 from generous sponsers,have about 2000.00 in door prizes. Expecting a pretty good shoot.Sometimes you just have to make it happen.I do want to grow the sport.Todd Tyler

Tyler, "Sometimes you just have to make it happen."
Thanks to people like you, we have shoots to go to.
Keep the faith - George and Vera

Well
I spent my day off getting the Albuquerque range ready for next weekends match,raised 4600.00 from generous sponsers,have about 2000.00 in door prizes. Expecting a pretty good shoot.Sometimes you just have to make it happen.I do want to grow the sport.Todd Tyler

Would like to make it, but we had already committed to go watch my grand daughter in a soccer tournament in Dallas that weekend. Not much I'd rather do than watch soccer. Yeah, right.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing that being specifically addressed in either rule book, but I have seen it done and think it's a good idea. IBS does have a junior program that allows for 1/2 price membership, already.

I don't think it's in the rule book. It might just be a courtesy. The only reason I know is because I have brought three new shooters into the sport the last three years and was told each time that they needn't register for their first match. They were, however, charged match fees.

What is a PCBSL competitor,sorry if its a dumb question but I am Irish by birth

Jim you might be irish but I'm pretty sure you can read ;) (couldn't resist that) it means Participate Competitive Benchrest Shooting Level ( PCBSL ) it's what R Rains referred to in post #102.......Ian

and this attitude is why my club has a waiting list to get in and yours does not.....
narrow minded approach to fixing the problem...you on the inside..SEE NO PROBLEMS....

PLEASE NOTE:
i was an iBS MEMBER for years
..i only recently did not renew...sorta when the 1000yd disaster hit the colorado rifle club....

put your blinders on, and continue as you have......
i apoligize for the poor manners of those who have attacked me, instead of following your thread.
mike in co

Mike you have pointed out that you used to be a member of IBS and you have mentioned about the location and format of the meeting.........while your club has a waiting list to join (which I can understand due to shooters wanting somewhere to shoot and clubs limiting membership) IBS and NBRSA don't own ranges (to the best of my knowledge)

Shooters join ranges - some ranges promote and hold competitions these competitons can be run under club rules or be a IBS or NBRSA registered match.

Since you are no longer a member what would it take for YOU to rejoin and participate in IBS or NBRSA matches??

The OP stated, "We need shooters ... and I feel nothing is being done about trying to increase attendance." Assuming the OP meant he was interested in more shooters, not just more members in the organization, I replied in my first response (post # 24) that, "I think the registered matches need a factory class, with no requirement of being a member of any organization." My point in the post to which you responded was that the cost of registered matches (which includes the requirement to be a member of an organization) and the assurance of finishing at or near the bottom is a turn-off to a factory-gun shooter.

Why does a shooter have to be a member of an organization in order to shoot? What would be wrong with having a factory class in a registered match?

So, do you want more members or more shooters?

My thoughts on this are that there is room for a factory class since there were classes that catered for these rifle years ago and as time passed evolved into something different.........but for a factory class to work you need competitors.......now if as you propose "with no requirement of being a member of any organisation" how do you propose the running costs of these classes be funded??
The easiest way to bring about rule/class changes is for enough members of the organisation to vote in favour of them.......non members don't get a vote.

That's good to know; now, if I could just convince myself to drive nine hours (round trip) to shoot.

I can understand not having the funds to travel, but to have to convince yourself to drive nine hours round trip to shoot, I can not understand.......George and Vera answered that one very well.......but I have to say if I took your attitude I would have never started shooting Benchrest, as my nearest competition is a 18 hour round trip (driving).

Since you aren't a member of IBS or NBRSA can you please put it in words what it would take for YOU to join and compete in IBS or NBRSA competition......afterall it's non members that need to answer this question so the organisations get an idea of what they need to do.

I used to have this discussion (growing the sport) with a friend, we never did come up with an answer but it comes back to some people want to join and compete others don't. Who are the people who want to join and compete and how do you attract them?
Some people come into this sport via friends who already compete, others come with a friend, like what they find and stay or don't and leave, those that stay make more friends and look forward to catching up with those friends at shoots. Myself I was interested in accuracy and Benchrest, found out where it was held and went along, since then I've made a lot of friends and enjoy their company at the shoots and also socially.

I don't think cost is the biggest barrier to Benchrest......perhaps it's the percieved intimidation of being the new kid at a competition...............Ian

Jerry S and I both have mentioned this before Classes. marksmen, shapshooter, expert, master.
something like that or rookie, novice, expert, master this puts shooters of like skills together shooting against each other and THE MASTERS, recogntion for new shooters. Clubs could give certificates or small trophys to winners in
each class. maybe an IBS sticker with a different class wording.

you have lost touch with reality if you do not think that cost is not the biggest barrier to br competition TODAY.
THE ECONOMY SUCKS.

if you cannot create an entry level class that is local..you have little chance of gaining membership....

mike in co
I don't think cost is the biggest barrier to Benchrest......Ian

here is a question for all...
how much money do you think it cost to start shooting BENCHREST...
assume the shooter has a single stage press and reloads for his hunting rifle and maybe his 9mm/45acp.....
used rifle/scope/rest/bag/cometition reloading set up/competition components/neck turner/ spotting scope.......
add up the cost......
do you honestly believe the average shooter has that kind of money sitting around in todays economy ??
list some numbers...
tell us what you think it cost to start today????

no borrowing a rifle or gear...cost to BUY into the sport today.
mike in co

the economy has to change....
a range somewhere near to shoot .today i cannot afford the time it takes to travel to a distant match.
i currently work 6 sometimes 7 days a week to barely pay the bills.
i am in the shooting sports industry......sales of reloading equiptment and components suck..as in there is a vacuum.
outside of br, most people who reload, do so because it FITS THIER BUDGET.
thier budget has taken a large hit in the last 3-4 years.
in my experience they are buying about 25% of what they bought 5 yrs ago.
ammo sales are good, practical gun sales are good.
the economy has to change....

mike in co
Since you are no longer a member what would it take for YOU to rejoin and participate in IBS or NBRSA matches??
Ian

I personally shoot BR cos I like it.I am also addicted to IT.I shoot for the pleasure of the game and enjoy seeing good /great shooting.I have a bit of luck occasionally and get stomped on frequently.Its either in you or not.Many people dont like to compete because it proves if their dribling or actually capable of what they claim.Talk is cheap opinions are free but to actually step up to the line and take on the best on the day is thrilling and to have a win make me feel all warm and gooie inside.Changing the rules etc. means you dont want to shoot BR.It needs to be more accessible but I have no idea how.Numbers go up and down all the time no idea why ecomony moons orbit ??what ever.BUT dont go changing the rules to suit a few that generally wont hang in there.JMO jim

I just got into benchrest shooting this year and thought I would weigh in. I am much younger, 30, than most of the competitors I have seen at the matches. I think the two biggest obstacles to overcome to get younger people into the game are the cost of the equipment and the intimidation factor of all that goes into it, reloading, reading the wind, tuning the load, etc.

First on the cost aspect while you have to have the top of the line equipment such as Farley coaxial rest, Leupold or March competition scope, BAT/Farley/Panda action, etc. to go to a match and participate, you do if you want to compete. Add in cost of barrels, reloading components including match bullets and it really adds up quick and can be overwhelming.

Second the intimidation factor of all the new things you need to learn is big. There is a big difference between reloading and reloading for benchrest. I know when i was just reloading for my hunting rifle that I thought people who were neck turning and measuring in 1/10 of a thousandth were wasting their time. Learning the process of neck turning, what bushing to use, tuning your load and all the other things that go into it takes time and alot of patience.

The two things that I think can help with these problems are a factory class and mentors. At the matches I have attended there is usually one or two people shooting a factory rifle. They seem to have a good time, but can't compete with the custom guns. While just going out and shooting is fun I think that anyone who really gets into benchrest or another type of shooting wants to compete and win. I don't know the history of benchrest and all the classes, but I think the creation of a factory class in benchrest could bring in more participants. Some or most of those participants may never move up to the other classes or stick with it, but I have to think that some would. If I had not had someone to show me the ropes, recommend equipment and let me use their gun at a few matches before I had one of my own I know I would not still be competing. The most important thing any one member can do for benchrest is to take someone under their wing and get them involved. Having a clinic or demonstration is great to raise interest, but if the person getting involved doesn't have someone they can call when they are having an issue when necking up 6mm BR cases to 30BR or when they can't seem to get their new barrel to shoot then they probably are not going to stick with it for long.

This is just the two cents from someone who is new to benchrest.

Back