Growing the IBS

how about you fund it and i will come ??
i think i was pretty clear that time and money are not available in todays economy....not for me any way.
( ps i tried and iBS screwed our local club so well they left the (lack)of organization).
mike in co

Hows about you come out and play with us NBRSA and IBS shooters some time instead of just playing chin music...:cool:

what do all these personal attacks have to do with FIXING your broken iBS club ??

( see when people cannot face the facts, have nothing positive to add, they attack...non productiive)

off to work......

mike in co

Adding a marketing plan, i.e., fliers and gun show etc, is good, but it's also good to look within to see what changes can be made to help with the ultimate goal of sustaining and growing benchrest. That's not meant negatively, but constructively. There seems to be a fair number of people that believe a change in rule making procedures and video meetings would be a move in the right direction, and promote the sport in a positive way by giving all members a voice without the travel and expense of physically making a trip to Pa. to have the same. This is a hobby, and I don't know anyone making a living shooting BR. Only a select few have to time and resources, along with the desire needed to make that trip from most of the country for a hobby. We must keep that in perspective before declaring that we all have the opportunity to have a voice at the meeting. It's simply not so from a practical standpoint. With the technology we have today, there is no reason to require members to do that.

From what I am reading the people that shoot benchrest but don't shoot sanctioned matches have a lot to say as I appreciate their opinions they remain a big part of the problem. Just think if each one attended a registered match or two each year. Club matches are fun but nothing like a registered match.
Mike Mastrogiovanni

Maybe the probhlem at kane is not honoring IBS cards its an NBRSA match.
Maybe there are TOO many score shoots and not enough $$$ to go around, You can forget Canastota,
I was asked if Camillus wanted to buy their targets and backer supplies.
Yes Joel the rat pack is at it as usual. By the way thier big money maker long range shoot was a Flop.
Unless there is a plague and the rat pack dies don't expect any changes soon'
The booth at a gun show idea is an old one, I remember one being at the syracuse show.
Michelle Sutton and some others ran one some time ago.
There is no fall match as usual because of attendance' After the National shooters don't attend for some reason.
As you know Camillus use to have a late match in the fall.
If attendance was big enough we could do it , providing we got a big enough turnout.
Herb use to have one , but attendance was only about 30 shooters.
with all of the work that has to be done its really hard to justify a match for 30 shooters.
The nats should be The Traditioal Labor day weekend

Gary not that Kane won't honor am IBS card but that NBRSA wont allow IBS card. that is what needs to be addressed -Ed

From what I am reading the people that shoot benchrest but don't shoot sanctioned matches have a lot to say as I appreciate their opinions they remain a big part of the problem. Just think if each one attended a registered match or two each year. Club matches are fun but nothing like a registered match.
Mike Mastrogiovanni

I can shoot a single-yardage, one-gun club match (25 record shots) for $10, or a two-yardage, one-gun club match (50 record shots) for $20 with the chance of winning back some of it; if I shot a registered match I could shoot two yardages, twice (100 record shots) and it would cost me $150 (including the association's membership fee), and I'd be at or near the bottom of the results list with my factory rifle. Not trying to be confrontational here, but help me understand the additional fun I'd have at a registered match.

Last edited:
six classes, $5 per rifle, shot in less than one day...all score....every month unless there is snow on the ground.
so why should i spend gas money, entry fees and org fees for the right to say i shot in a "registered" match....
explain that to me again ??

start with a club level, score(less equiptment) true factory rifle class...any cal or hunter or varmit...bedding, crown, trigger..nothing else, limited to true production rifles...on the list or not in the class.
campaign to at more clubs at this level...then try adding score br classes and maybe group club( no backer) and then national group......small steps

mike in co

Another area for growth within IBS is to allow bipods. As I understand the current rules, you must have at least 1/2" of sand between the gun and the rest. That knocks out the bipods, and several new shooters have them but not an $800 Farley. There are other shooting sports that do allow, and encourage bipods. Wonder where these potential new shooters go?

well I guess your are afraid of being beat or just frugal. Registered matches bring out the top shooters and you compete against them. Nothing like beating a hall of fame shooter.

well I guess your are afraid of being beat or just frugal. Registered matches bring out the top shooters and you compete against them. Nothing like beating a hall of fame shooter.

Oh, I've been beaten plenty, at registered matches....Heck, I'm getting used to it this year.

Wilbur I respect your reasons and concerns but, that is why I post my thoughts because of reasons and concerns.

Well...I should have just written that post to myself because I read a post and say to myself..."that won't work", read another..."that won't help" etc....and soon I'm at the end of the thread. Further, I would suspect that everyone involved would admit to the same if they told the truth - thus the term "conundrum".

I don't belong in this thread as far as making specific suggestions but I can generalize. I've been an IBS member off and on, mostly off. Experience with the NBRSA taught me a bit about people and a lot about myself. The thoughts about the annual meeting reminded me of a stand I took at a regional meeting where a southeast member proposed that changes within the NBRSA be voted in or out by the entire membership (as the IBS does) rather than regional directors. I knew that the membership was comprised of about 40% active competitors and that the remaining 60% could possibly gain some kind of unknown control. Additionally, if that "control" blew up in our faces, we had no avenue of return. I don't remember whether or not the regional membership forced me to take that motion to the board meeting but I was adamantly opposed - and still am. Not opposed because I really thought it a bad thing but rather opposed because I couldn't venture a guess as to how it would turn out for the everyday active competitor.

OK, here's the reason I wrote that. There may be some validity in the concern as to where and when the annual meeting is held. Ask yourself why the meeting is held where and when it is now and tell yourself the truth. Likely, you'll find something similar to the above.

and this attidude is why you have no membership......
imike in co

MikieCo, Russell Rains started this thread titled "Growing the IBS" to get some input on improving IBS attendance and involvement. Since you don't belong to the IBS and do not shoot IBS I find it difficult to see why you would be interested in this conversation. If you wish to join the IBS and help, fine, we'll be glad to have you.

Like everybody else who's posted here, I haven't any idea how to "grow IBS". Or "grow NBRSA" for that matter.

When I wanted to go benchrest shooting, after several years of "egg shoots" of one variety or another, I went seeking IBS. They didn't have to become attractive to me, offer me special incentives, or have annual meetings in my hometown. Just so you know, I live in the "Northeast" and don't consider PA as close.

When we started registered matches at my local range, we actually would have gone "group" if it hadn't been so difficult to get a moving backer system. I believe "score" to be more difficult to shoot than "group" but there's something about those little fuzzy holes that are rewarding.

I am a strong supporter and encourager of Factory Class shooting and don't see any real problem with instituting one.

The expense of benchrest shooting is what it is. What other hobby can you do for less? For the cost of one snowmobile you could buy all three of my BR rifles and all my reloading equipment. Or a camper trailer. A good camera set-up is more than a BR rifle. Et cetera ...

I have now come to believe that if you cannot afford, or choose not to participate in, benchrest shooting, then stay home. I don't want benchrest watered down, marketed to people who apparently have some lack of desire, or manipulated to include some mysterious group who haven't heard of us yet. I don't think I'm an elitist and I'm certainly not in possession of much money, but benchrest shooting is for those who strive to be the best, enjoy the camaraderie and "want" to be here.

You can spend as much as you want for a super-duper new custom rifle, thousands of dollars on mostly unnecessary "equipment", the best of everything there is, but the bottom line is you have to come to the range, read the conditions, and punch holes in the paper in the proper location. You can't buy your way in, you have to shoot your way in. If there's no hunger or "fire in your belly" to do that, nothing will entice you. I have dozens of shooting friends and hunting friends who I can't even get to come to the range and "see" a benchrest match. That's OK. It's not for everybody ...

Like everybody else who's posted here, I haven't any idea how to "grow IBS". Or "grow NBRSA" for that matter.

When I wanted to go benchrest shooting, after several years of "egg shoots" of one variety or another, I went seeking IBS. They didn't have to become attractive to me, offer me special incentives, or have annual meetings in my hometown. Just so you know, I live in the "Northeast" and don't consider PA as close.

When we started registered matches at my local range, we actually would have gone "group" if it hadn't been so difficult to get a moving backer system. I believe "score" to be more difficult to shoot than "group" but there's something about those little fuzzy holes that are rewarding.

I am a strong supporter and encourager of Factory Class shooting and don't see any real problem with instituting one.

The expense of benchrest shooting is what it is. What other hobby can you do for less? For the cost of one snowmobile you could buy all three of my BR rifles and all my reloading equipment. Or a camper trailer. A good camera set-up is more than a BR rifle. Et cetera ...

I have now come to believe that if you cannot afford, or choose not to participate in, benchrest shooting, then stay home. I don't want benchrest watered down, marketed to people who apparently have some lack of desire, or manipulated to include some mysterious group who haven't heard of us yet. I don't think I'm an elitist and I'm certainly not in possession of much money, but benchrest shooting is for those who strive to be the best, enjoy the camaraderie and "want" to be here.

You can spend as much as you want for a super-duper new custom rifle, thousands of dollars on mostly unnecessary "equipment", the best of everything there is, but the bottom line is you have to come to the range, read the conditions, and punch holes in the paper in the proper location. You can't buy your way in, you have to shoot your way in. If there's no hunger or "fire in your belly" to do that, nothing will entice you. I have dozens of shooting friends and hunting friends who I can't even get to come to the range and "see" a benchrest match. That's OK. It's not for everybody ...
Reed, I agree with everything you said, but the same desire and dedication applies to IDPA,ISPC,USPSA,3 gun and tactical, as well as the shotgun only sports. The money is about the same, if not more than BR. But what you said about it taking the right kind of person in indisputable. The level of action is different, but not nearly as much so as outsiders think. If I'm shooting well, there isn't time for boredom...I'm locked in and focused on what I'm doing, and what the flags or conditions are. This feeling may never come to the casual shooter, the first timer, and almost certainly, spectators. Once they feel THAT adrenaline, it's very much like the action shooting games. They must reach that point to appreciate it. I think and hope we all know that feeling. When I can't get that anymore, I may do something else. So, all that said, the biggest difference I see is the travel and opportunity to get involved. Of course the person has got to have some competitive fire in the first place.

There it is! Reed put his finger on one method to "catch" a competitor. Take him to a match and do everything you can to put him in the situation Reed described. Hand him the most killer rifle that's ever been. That's the only way he can see the game as it really is first time out - and that's likely the only shot you're gonna get to catch him.

What's that...yeah, I'm fully aware of what I'm sayin' and the pain involved. Who wants to drive 400 miles and loan a guy his good rifle - or worse, watch him shoot sighter after sighter through that killer barrel.

benchrest shooting is for those who strive to be the best, enjoy the camaraderie and "want" to be here.
Agree too Reed/Wilbur +1

EVERY "HOW do we attract new/more shooters to our sport - thread"......... Those that "Want to" will find us / it...
Has been so, will remain so.... But all members should continue to entice/encourage new people to their respective BR disciplines. I do as often as possible.

cale

Back