Bouncing off the "parallel Node", Calfee

just a fifth tought

isn't that the water theory is an excuse to obscure THE FACTS THAT THE STOPPED MUZZLE IS BELLY DANCING?????
:D
maybe center fire and rimfire shooters are similar in finding exotic excuses for stupid shoots they made??? :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Friend Dennis

Freind Dennis:

Just came from the range testing SPEC 4.........the action I have five barrels fit to, to help Roger develop his Solid Muzzle device....

Dennis, your question.....Dennis, I'm sorry, but there's so many folks with funnies on here I don't know where to find your original post....sorry...

Man, I think you asked if the pressure caused by a cooked round, didn't mean more than the water in the bore?

Friend Dennis, if this is what you asked, the answer is NO.......if this ain't what you asked, I apologize.....

Good God...wouldn't it be awesome, if folks could have a conversation about accuracy, without all the funny folks wanting to be part of it.....?

Oh, Dennis, one other thing......in a few days, when the facts about the "cooked round" are exposed, for the first time in 60 years, there will be folks coming out of the woodowrk claiming they knew it all along......just like they've done about my muzzle devices........

Welcome to centerfire benchrest.....

Dennis, I'm tired.....we'll start again when I get some sleep.....

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Bill,

I am sorry if this comes across disrespectful, I genuinely am, I know I have made a few "funny" comments myself along the way.

You might want to give some thought to how many topics you have started and never actually ever said anything substantial on that people can work with. This is just another topic that you want to talk about but never actually ever get around to saying anything.

If you want to talk about it why not cut out the irrelevant ramblings and actually say what you want to say. If you dont want to talk about this stuff then don't drop tid bits and expect people to get all keen to figure out what gem of information you are offering up this time.

To say you want to have a serious discussion about accuracy but never actually get around to saying anything substantial combined with just dropping bits of information and not following up the comments people make is the very reason that you get people making the "funnies" and not entering into proper adult discussion.

I am sorry Bill, you are you own worst enemy in respect to why these threads turn into the very thing you dislike.

Bryce

I spell as bad as kathy writes.......but the word that come in my dumbass hillbilly mind is "astroscopic" means when a liquid attracts moisture. I sure am glad that "Single Barrel" dont do this...........

HOLey SMOkes Bullwinkle!!! THAT's FUNNY!!!

"astroscopic" :D

Man we better not even START with this one!

LOL

al

Mike,
Thanks for the great explanation.
And thanks for the tension meter offer but I should be able to rig something up in the future if I try a minimum neck turn chamber.

Jim

Friend Dennis

Friend Dennis:

I'm one of them guys that never thought to save for the day I got old and couldn't work.....so, I find myself an old man, broke, living in a shack in Borden and having to work every day or I don't eat.....so I simply can't live on this forum, like some folks can........sorry....

I have a couple of minutes.......Dennis, please read this carefully, it is extremely important......

Friend Dennis, you're at a match.....you have four shots in a hole, time running out......you re-load, just about to pull the trigger for the fifth shot when you notice the flags make a big 180 degree swing.........you sit for a few seconds, hopeing the condition will return.......you decide it ain't going to, so you make the decision to go to the sighter............you do, and fire that round.........there has been 16 seconds between the time you fired your 4th record shot and this sighter..........you quickly reload....time is running out....you check the sighter shot, then go to the record, make the required sight change and pull the trigger.....five seconds have passed between the time you fired the sighter and your fifth record shot......you blew the group!

Dennis, water in the bore is the dirty little secret that I thought every competitive shooter in the world, at this late date, understood......

This is the biggest surprise I've seen since I've been posting on Wilbur's fine forum......that no one knows the truth about the affect of water in the bore...

Dennis, on the group I described above, there was 16 seconds worth of water in the bore when the sighter shot was taken.....when the record shot was taken, there was only 5 seconds worth of water in the bore.....no wonder that shot didn't go to the same place.......

When you fire a round, water starts forming in the bore the second the bullet leaves the muzzle.....if you shoot a five shot group, with different time lapses between the shots, you not only have to contend with all the normal things that can cause inaccuracy, but you have to contend with what may be the biggest factor, different amounts of water in the bore.....

I'm hungry, if I don't get to work, I ain't going to be able to eat....

More when I have time....

Your friend, Bill Calfee

I hope you serious Benchrest shooters have benefited from this....

Okay, there is water in the barrel. How did it get there? Is it from the air or a chemical reaction? There is no proof that there is water in the barrel that I can see.

Water from where.

Bill:
Have you ever given any thought to where the water comes from?

Please tell us where you think the water comes from.

We want to hear your explanation.

SteveM.

Elapsed time

I have heard of a shooter, who is no longer with us, who use to run two clocks when he shot. He shot every 30 seconds regardless of what the conditions were. I suspect he didn't shoot a record shot every time but he shot his rifle every 30 seconds at something. He is reported to have been a master of the wind so he was not afraid to shoot at the record target. He had a 200 yd range outside his shop and shot every day.

The man held a number of records in his day. There may be something to learn here.

Pete,

Harry Pope is reported to have done this. If this is who you're referring to it was a long time before real accuracy developed.

al

Myfriends

Myfriends:

Been a long day......this thread is getting so long and I don't know how to go back past the last page and pull up a quote......mine.....so I'm bringing my last post forward........I'd start another thread but I don't know how to move my last post over to it.......sorry...

MY friends, I really don't know what to say.....water in the bore is one of the major factors in producing accuracy......or producing inaccuracy.....

Friend Pete Wass: I quote you my friend:

"There may be something to learn here."

MY friend, yes there is........

My wonderful centerfire friends: I don't every want to offend anyone....life is too short....I don't make funnies on other folks threads.....nor demean them in any way.......so I don't want what I have to say to be taken wrong....please.....but, I'm in complete shock about the lack of knowledge over the issue of water in the bore of a rifle barrel being fired.......I'm sorry..

I'm going to bring my last post forward, if I can.....please re-read it carefully.
As I have time we'll wade through this issue and I'll do my best to bring you folks up to speed......

Kathy

Friend Dennis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friend Dennis:

I'm one of them guys that never thought to save for the day I got old and couldn't work.....so, I find myself an old man, broke, living in a shack in Borden and having to work every day or I don't eat.....so I simply can't live on this forum, like some folks can........sorry....

I have a couple of minutes.......Dennis, please read this carefully, it is extremely important......

Friend Dennis, you're at a match.....you have four shots in a hole, time running out......you re-load, just about to pull the trigger for the fifth shot when you notice the flags make a big 180 degree swing.........you sit for a few seconds, hopeing the condition will return.......you decide it ain't going to, so you make the decision to go to the sighter............you do, and fire that round.........there has been 16 seconds between the time you fired your 4th record shot and this sighter..........you quickly reload....time is running out....you check the sighter shot, then go to the record, make the required sight change and pull the trigger.....five seconds have passed between the time you fired the sighter and your fifth record shot......you blew the group!

Dennis, water in the bore is the dirty little secret that I thought every competitive shooter in the world, at this late date, understood......

This is the biggest surprise I've seen since I've been posting on Wilbur's fine forum......that no one knows the truth about the affect of water in the bore...

Dennis, on the group I described above, there was 16 seconds worth of water in the bore when the sighter shot was taken.....when the record shot was taken, there was only 5 seconds worth of water in the bore.....no wonder that shot didn't go to the same place.......

When you fire a round, water starts forming in the bore the second the bullet leaves the muzzle.....if you shoot a five shot group, with different time lapses between the shots, you not only have to contend with all the normal things that can cause inaccuracy, but you have to contend with what may be the biggest factor, different amounts of water in the bore.....

I'm hungry, if I don't get to work, I ain't going to be able to eat....

More when I have time....

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Maybe we can help as well.

Maybe we can help you as well, Bill.

Where do you think the water comes from?

A) Product of Combustion

B) Condensation due to atmospheric conditions in the bore

C) Write in answer - Essay form

This is not "Funny" in any way.

No Al

Pete,

Harry Pope is reported to have done this. If this is who you're referring to it was a long time before real accuracy developed.

al

More recent history. Dwight Furrow (SP ?). He was a 6 power shooter from Maine. He died young from cancer. He is still a legend here. There are a couple of travler trophies still given in his name.

Last edited:
I'm dumb as ass too and I need clear direction or I can't do nuthin'. This is all starting to make sense to me now, the guy who fired a shot every thirty seconds regardless of record or condition; every thirty seconds pull the trigger, same amount of condensation every time, bullet should go in the same place everything else being equal.

I wonder if the same phenomenon exists in rimfire (or any for that matter) too? and to what degree? I'm going to ask on the rimfire board.

Thanks, Douglas

Back