Bouncing off the "parallel Node", Calfee

Friend Dennis

Friend Dennis:

Run test one off of sand bags......you'll get the same results....the return to battery was to eliminate human error....but it really ain't at all necessary.

I appreciate you getting a copy to friend Lynn...

Dennis, I mailed thirteen letters today.....had fifteen wanting the tests but two folks, one from Fort Collins, CO and a gentleman from Redding, CA didn't include a self addressed stamped envelope...all others did including a countryman of yours from a little town north of Calgary, Alberta, and he included a self addressed envelope with a United States Currency dollar bill inside for postage......

So friend Dennis, you and friend Lynn ain't the only folks with the tests...

NOW MY FRIENDS;

When I get some time I want to explore my idea of how we may be able to determine if we have a stopped muzzle....

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Dennis

You are correct, to ascertain the validity of any test, you should remove as many errors as possible.
That being said, if Bill would simply post the test procedure on this Forum, I would be glad to take my RailGun, and do exactly what he wants.
I always have friends with me at Tomball who could insure that we follow his procedures to the letter,and to be witness to the results.
So Bill, there it is. I am an experienced Benchrest Shooter, I have EVERYTHING at my disposal to do exactly what you want, and I also have a first class Rail Gun to perform the test with. I will be back from shooting the Texas State State Unlimited Monday.
Simple. What say you..........jackie

vibe
Interesting test.

Weighing the patches before running them down the bore would be useless though. They'll be collecting more carbon than water.
Weighing at steps 7 and 9 are the only important measurements.

I also see no reason to weigh the baggies or use two of them.
Remove and weigh just the patches in the "wet" state.
Dry in oven and reweigh.

I also think it imperative to dry the patches in the oven before conducting the test to remove the natural atmospheric moisture content from them.

Someone somewhere suggested in this post that the open bore contributes to water accumulation by drawing in cool air. Or something to that effect.
Either way covering the bore is not a natural state and should not be a parameter of the test.

Is there water in the bore?
I'm way to scientifically challenged to formulate my own opinion on that.
My best scale is an Acculab and I would be surprised if the weight variations between step 7 and 9 were great enough to reliably come to a conclusion.

My Acculab is still not without its own demons. No power filter probably is the biggest culprit.
Good enough to weigh powder charges but condensation ??????
I have been surprised before though.

There is no doubt that Bill Calfee is one of the best Rim Fire smiths around. But to convert RF data to CF.........I just don't think it is gonna happen. And Jackie, I would bet that Bill will not take your most kind and generous offer......Donald

My friends

My friends:

Man what a pretty Sunday morning here in Borden....We had a great match yesterday.....90 degree heat but pretty good shooting conditions...some big time scores were shot...

My firends, this idea of mine about how we may be able to determine if our muzzle is stopped belongs on a new thread.....this one is just too big....

I suppose this big thread was actually useful as it did shed the sunshine on an issue that I thought was settled 30 years ago....

The old idea that a "cooked round" is what causes a flipper sometimes, after a gun has been fired and allowed to set for a minute or two, just passed away, forever........

Again my friends, the biggest surprise I've had since I've been viewing Wilbur's fine forum was finding that some folks still cling to the "cooked round" idea....

My friends, it's funny how folks come to believe things....soneone, years ago, I guess, started the notion that a hot round caused the flippers....they told somebody, then that somebody told somebody else....etc......no one ever questions these things.......

Well Bill Calfee is an idiot, and I ain't got no learning from school, but when I first started centerfire benchrest work, and saw the problem, I had to know why................it was very easty to determine the true cause.....that was 30years ago.....

My old dog, I called him "old dog", died 10 years ago today....He liked soup bones so each year I take me a soup bone and put on his grave.....(actually, what happened was, I went on vacation out to the Dakotas to dig dinosaur bones, my hobby, and when I returned 10 days later old dog was gone.....after I searched for a few days and realized I'd never see him again I made a little grave down on the banks of muddy fork, where me and him used to walk) Man I could tell you folks stories about old dog............

When I get a chance I'll start a new thread so we can explore my new idea...

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Remember this?

Here is my proposition for you.
Post the test procedure that you have developed, concerning moisture in the bore, here on Benchrest.com, and I will be glad to perform the test, with my Rail Gun, (a proven winner), to your exact procedures. I have all of the required components, I am a experienced Benchrest Shooter, and I feel like I could, (with my friends at Tomball), give your test an honest effort.
The only person that might have a better chance of getting good, believable data would be Gene Beggs with his tunnel.
I feel safe in saying that the entire World will be watching, so, I will enter into the test with no preconcieved conclusions. You have my word on that.
Simple. What Say You........jackie

How about it?

What I expect is that people on this forum will not accept claims of proof by anyone without evidence. Not just 15 people, but actual proof posted here, on an open forum where the claims are actually being made. This top secret, "for my friends eyes only" stuff will not pass the muster on the internet.

In order for Bill's claims to be accepted here, the proof must be shown here.

This forum is not for the purpose of promoting tact and good manners. You also may want to look up the definitions of the words "allude" and "elude".

SteveM.

What I've seen

Up until now I haven't said anything, so now I will. I personally don't know if Bill's testing will change much in centerfire BR, but at the same time, I have no plans to shoot it down. Like most of us here, I will try anything to enhance accuracy. I do believe Bill likes to string us along, but I think for him, it's all out of fun. He gets excited about something, and like a little kid, he can't keep it to himself before all of his test are completed. He shares his thoughts to keep our minds thinking also.

Now for what I've seen. When I let a round cook in the chamber, it has a greater chance of going outsde my group. If it is the second round fired, it's not as much of a problem as if it is the fifth round going into an even hotter chamber.

After I clean the barrel, I run one dry patch through it. This may not be the way others do it, but I don't like a very dry bore for my first shot. I feel that the bore has less chance of copper fouling if it is not completely dry. The second shot has carbon to act as lube. My first shot out of the cleaned barrel will usualy be .25" below the next, and then it is stable for a group.

Now today I fired a group with the 30-30, and I expected the same thing as always. The group should have been setting on top of the first shot. After the fouler, the next four shots printed in the same place, so I included the fouler in my group. The group measured .160".

What's interesting to me is when I only shoot about 6 or 7 rounds, I will shoot another match before I clean the barrel. This is when you would think that no fouler is necessary, but it is. In humid environments, while I load ammo with the bolt out of the gun, the carbon in the bore absorbs moisture. When I return to the bench 15 or 20 minutes later, the first shot seems to always print lower than my group does.

Let me know if any of you have experianced this, or maybe I'm the only one who skips a barrel cleaning now and then.

Michael

Back