Yikes! XR-100 Discontinued!

Does anyone know if the XR action screw spacing is the same as the 700 short action? or maybe the model 7? or is it completely different?

Worker: Eleven years ago I moved out of the "homeless people" capitol of the world (the Seattle, Washington area!), I dealt, as a law enforcement type, with homeless folks thereabouts for 29 years!
Some of those "homeless" types were mentally impaired folks (tragic this!) and some were substance abusers (serves them right) and some were regular folks who were down on their luck for a time.
LOTS of them out there on the coast - but then again it doesn't get down to 35 degrees below zero out there like it does in Montana, and the local governments here in Montana do not cater to substance abusers!
Next to NO long term homeless types here in Montana - some hermits but next to no homeless.
Day before yesterday I got a report from a friend near Wisdom, Montana (elevation 6,100') that it had gotten down to 6 degrees BELOW zero there overnight! Next to impossible to be homeless, even in late March, hereabouts.
Ice fishing is VERY popular here in Montana. I have even tried it a number of times myself!
I would rather spend my winter days reloading ammunition and Hunting Coyotes though.
Another contrast - if I might digress - is moving from the Bank Robbery Capital of America, Seattle, Washington to Dillon, Montana - where the last bank robbery occured more that 110 years ago! The ill fated bank robber tried to speed out of Dillon on his horse only to have it slip on ice and break down allowing the Sheriff and his posse to catch up and take him into custody!
Culture shock - is the best way to describe my move to Montana!
Long live Montana
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Craiger5658: I sure hope you are right about the XR-100 being revamped and available again in the future!
That would be fine with me!
Also my XR-100 in 204 Ruger caliber shooting 32 and 35 grain bullets seems to hold still enough at the shot for me to see my bullets impact.
How much lead did you add to your XR-100's forearm?
I have one in 223 Remington and may try your modification on it to improve its stability at the shot.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Montana sounds like Maine used to be.
Now, with crippling taxes, we are socializing ourselves into similar community.

The state, is now the largest employer in the state.

Anyway, good idea about adding weight.

My picture is lousy, but I milled the forearm flat, and it tracks a lot better in the rest.

Ben

Montana is Looking Better and Better

I gotta at least take a vacation to Montana. Especially during the summer. Montana and Wyoming are on my "bucket list". :rolleyes:

This could be the reason

If you have a XR100 in .223 do a chamber casting they are chambered off from the center line of the bore. I had one that would not group and did a chamber casting an found that the lands ran all the way to the case neck on one side and about .050 up on the other side. I sent it back to Remington they said they would fix it. but after two mounths i called them they said they were wating on a barrel assembly. I bouth another one to rebarreled to 17 Fireball. Did a chamber casting on that one and found it had the same problem SN was 2347 higher. Called Remington and told them what i had found. They told me that it is a discouned rifle that no part are avable so they would not fix them so what did i whant them to do with the one they had. Not a very good way to run a bussnes.

Cannon30: Yikes - that is some sorry quality control you ran into there!
I don't think I am going to be doing a chamber casting of my XR-100 in 223 Remington - it shoots so well that even if it had some defect I would just keep shooting this one!
I am going to look at my XR-100's chambers with my Siebert Bore Inspection Tool, and will pay special attention to the case neck and symmetry of the rifling - where it starts.
If I understand the defects in your two XR-100's - I am puzzled how they could have done this. Again if I understand your description correctly then the only thing I can think of is the folks at Remington chambered the rifled barrel with a chamber reamer that was defective in some way or did not have a proper "pilot".
I simply don't know how this could have happened and to have happened to you twice is also very puzzling!
In any event the folks at Remington SHOULD have bent over backwards to correct the situation as quickly as possible - two months would have been way to long to correct - let alone however long you are going to have to wait!
Sheesh - come on Big Green - get it together!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

what remington sad

Remington sad they can not repare the rifle they have no barrel and action assemblies and they can not rebarrel a rifle so they will buy it back from me or return it to me as is. I am havein it returned and i will buy a throating reamer and try to clean up the throats on the two rifles. shoot them both and hope one of them will shoot then rebarrel the other to 17 Fireball like i planed other wise i will have to rebarrel both. What realy makes me mad is i have purchesed 4 remingtons in the past year and a hafe a 40xb i love a .375 gun a 700 sps 270wsm that you had to pry the empemty off the bolt face that i sent to ther minnesota repair center when the rifle came back to me the bolt face locked like a bever worked on it. and now two bad xr100 i will no longer buy remington

Canon30: Can't blame you for your decision to nix the Remington folks.
I have bought a double big batch of Remingtons over the years - I am sure at least 140 of them and have as yet to have occassion to send one back for "warranty work"!
Back in 1995 I did get a registered letter from Remington asking me to send back a Model 700 PSS in 223 caliber that "might have a metal part in the trigger housing that was provided by a jobber that was possibly not heat treated properly"!
Thats the closest I have been to sending a Remington back. I hand carried taht amazingly accurate Rifle to a Remington Repair Station and had a new trigger put in.
In fact I am currently shooting 42 centerfires that have the name Remington on the side - and all of them perform just fine!
I am bewildered by YOUR run of bad luck!
I am not saying Remington equals perfection but your batting average for fouled up Remingtons is about .800%!
And that is outrageous.
I sure hope your plan to fix the XR-100's works out for you, as my XR-100 in 223 Remington is just a "barn burner" accuracy wise.
I was just down stairs in my loading room and took the time to un-vault my 3 XR-100's and check their chambers. They all look fine to me and each shoots very well indeed.
Today I am loading for a Remington 700 VSS in 17 Remington caliber - it was a limited edition offering made back in 2,002. It is an all stainless steel Varmint Rifle with a 26" heavy barrel.
It is a very consistent grouper (5 shots at 100 yards) in the 4's!
I even checked its chamber with my Siebert Bore Inspection Tool and it looks A-OK to me as well!
I think Big Green should step up and pay about $100.00 towards your rechambering jobs!
Each of them!
I just bought an XR-100 in 22-250 Remington in early February of this year. It shot the first load I tested in it so well I decided to use that loading!
Maybe I am just "blessed" with the Remingtons I have owned.
Oh and this just came to mind - I do have another Remington 700 in caliber 223 Remington that on occassion does not fully eject the spent cases all the way out of the breech of the action. About one out of six spent cases flicks around and ends up lying backwards on top of the magazine follower or loaded rounds in the magazine! I use this Rifle for Colony Varmints so that is a problem I can live with, and have lived with since it was new.
A "normal" person would have had every right to ask that deficiency be corrected - but again I have lived with it and make do. In fact it keeps me from looking around in the grass and sage for the spent shell casing.
I sure hope your "luck" with Remingtons changes - for the better.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Xr-100

Varmint Guy:

I have the .223 and it shoots! Would you be so kind to tell me where I could buy a Siebert Bore Inspection Tool? I called Sinclair, no go. I searched the web and found Siebert optics, but he knows nothing of the tool. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Roger Q.

varmint guy

check general discussion (remington xr100 .223) i allso posted it ther seem i am not only one with problem but his will shoot

"Would you be so kind to tell me where I could buy a Siebert Bore Inspection Tool? "

The email address for Wally Siebert is hwsieb@yahoo.com

Glenn:D

xr-100

i just looked on remingtons web site for new 2008 rifles and it does list the xr-100 on that web page.

Hkcarbine: Pardon my slow reply I have been busy reloading bullets today.
Someone posted Mr. Sieberts E-mail address and I am sure that will be a good place to start.
Over the past 16 years or so I have bought about 50 of these super handy tools from Mr. Siebert - I have bought them 10 and 12 at a time and that might be the way Mr. Siebert "prefers" to sell them - I'm not sure.
I have sold them all and that was my intention - not to make a profit so much as to enhance our sport.
I have sold many of them to friends and gun trading acquaintances.
I am down to just two right now or I would sell you one.
I keep one in my gun room for bore, crown and chamber inspections of my Rifles and one in my travelling Gunshow gear for inspection of used (and new!) arms as I travel around the country to Gunshops and the aforementioned Gunshows.
I have NEVER once demonstrated the use of this tool to an interested person and had that person NOT buy the tool!
They sell themselves.
Mr. Russ Haydon of Haydons Shooters Supply - Gig Harbor, Washington used to sell these as well.
He's on the web.
Good luck - no luck about it though, if you buy one and don't like it - I will buy it from you! Your satisfaction is guaranteed in that respect.
Enjoy, and remember when you get one, the tool is reversible (they don't come with instructions) - one way it focuses on the chamber, leades of the rifling and first couple inches of the barrel, reverse it and focus on the rifling from about 3 inches down the barrel to 8 or 10 inches down the barrel.
AND it works from the muzzle end as well although this takes either three hands or a nice Rifle vise.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Varmit guy:

Thanks a bunch for the info. I've described the scope to several of my shooting friends and am sure I could do a group buy. I'm in Taiwan for several more months, but will order when returning. I love that xr-100. The first time I shot it in HBR, factory class, I won first place. Mine is .223. I originally bought to make a .20 Varton, necked down .221FB. Glad I shot it first.

Take care and shoot well. I'm normally in sin city, Las Vegas.
HKcarbine

I think something is strange regarding Remington not being able to re-barrel a XR-100, because they are discontinued..........? The XR-100 and 700 use the same barrel. My first .204Ruger was built from a very old ADL 700 in .222 using a new/take off barrel from a XR-100. The XR was just released and I got the take off, 204 barrel. Screwed it on my action, the headspace was .005 long (well within Remington spec's) but I chucked the barrel in my lathe, turned .005 off the shoulder and viola, had a great shooting rifle. Call Remington back they could be short on actions but definitely not barrels.

Rodger Rodbolt: You answered the question I had - the XR-100 and the 700 have the same barrel threads then.
Good to know.
I just hate to see Cannon30 get the "brush off" from Remington!
I would have expected more from them!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Back