Yikes! XR-100 Discontinued!

I believe the .308 Win version was a Gander Mountain exclusive. The first XR100 I saw was there and indeed, a .308 Win.
Last year, for my retirement present, I bought the XR100, in .308, at Gander Mountain. I put a Bushnell 4200 Elite 8-32x40 on it, and it drives tacks! Hard to believe that with Savage bringing out a true F-class rifle, that Remington would discontinue such a fine rifle. I really thought they might expand the caliber offerings to the .260 Remington, for example.

It looks like Remingtion is concentrating on the AR-15 concept.

Best,
Dennis

i bought the xr-100 in .308 and was not impressed with the way it shot at all .9in 5 shot group at 200yrd with168gn nosler custom competition bullets was the best i could get from it .75 5 shot group at 100 same bullet,tried different seating depths, cleaning methods, and bullets but those worked the best , I also found it to be a constant struggle to keep the copper out of the barrell even when cleaning after each 5 shot group.had it pillar bedded tryed different scope, different mounts, new brass nothing seemed to work to make it shoot nomatter who was pulling the trigger. but on the other hand the action worked great to build a new rifle off of it, Krieger #17 barrel in 6.5x .284 win new hs. precision stock just getting brass formed and barrell broke in shot .3 in at 100 and we havent even started workin a load up yet.

Nitro, I've had the opposite, though with a different bullet. I originally tried Black Hills, .308, with a 168gr BTHP. It shot just under 1"@100 yds with factory ammo. I tried some different powders, but used the Sierra Match 168gr BTHP, and it neatened down to .5"@100 yds. It holds to 1"@ 200 yds. I couldn't ask more for a factory rifle with no stock work.

Best,
Dennis

Business is business. Perhaps they took it for vote with share holders and it was thumbs down.I don't care for that style of stock,but so what who am I. I bought a Cooper classic instead.Sorry to here of that lemon LV-SF those look cool to me. Especially their response.I had a Rem 700 sporter in 300 RUM it was a great shooter,after I replaced the trigger and put a Hough after market stock on it.They look great but you always seem to have to tune them up. Savage looks like tupperware . Sako or custom for me.
Worker, not to put too fine a point on things, but Remington has no shareholders, a la publicly owned corporation. They are owned entirely by the Cerberus group, a privately held equity fund. They also own Bushmaster, which is probably the genesis of the the new AR15-type Remington markets.

The management decisions are only subject to the scrutiny of Cerberus' management.

Best,
Dennis

Well I am just in a happy dither here in SW Montana!
Even though its been to windy to go to either one of my ranges to shoot (for going on 2 weeks now!) - I got a new (to me) Rifle in the mail today!
And I am just thrilled with it!
I bet this happy dither lasts all day long!
Anyway the Rifle is a Remington XR-100 in caliber 22-250 Remington!
And I want to publicly THANK both the cyber-space fellows who helped me come to own this Rifle!
One posts here under the "name" Chisholm and he was kind enough and thoughtful enough to take the time to give me direction to this Rifle, that was being offered for sale on another Shooters Forum!
I went there and got in touch with the nicest guy, that was from the Boise, Idaho area who was patient with me while I asked 100 questions about the Rifle he had offered up for sale!
The Rifle got here bright and early this morning and like I said I could NOT be happier with the Rifle or with the effort these two cyber-space guys went through to fill "the gap" in my Varminting arsenal!
Not only did the Rifle get here in a matter of just a couple of days since I became interested in it - the Rifle is EXACTLY as it was advertised!
Not only that, the cyber-guy from the Boise area took the time to include his best load info for me to get started with!
Not only that, he was thoughtful enough to include with the Rifle an odd little Allen type tool to work on the Burris Rings that came with the Rifle!
This kind of camaraderie (espirit de corps!) renews my faith in the world!
Thanks to both of these guys, and if ever there is anything I can do for you please honor me by allowing me to do that favor for you!
I can't wait to put together some loads and buy (or rob!) a scope for it and get out and shoot it!
Thanks again, to both of you!
VarmintGuy

VarmintGuy
I'm glad to hear that everything worked out for you. I would have felt really bad if there had been problems after posting the lead here.
James

Chisholm: James, no need for any trepidation on your part! I inquired as much as I could regarding the Rifle and I made the final decision to send the money for it.
Win, lose or draw with the Rifle from here on out I still appreciate the "lead" you gave me!
Winds are gusting to 40 M.P.H. here today so no chance of shooting just working on the new Rifle (robbing a scope for it off of another Rifle - and making up some precision handloads for it).
Thanks again James.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

40 mph winds?

So how cold is it? How much would that blow a bullet at 100 yards? Never been in those conditions ,I'm from Kalifornia I'm wearing shorts and feel oppressed by horrible gun laws.

Worker: The national weather information site says its 27 degrees and the wind is a steady 24 MPH! Both I feel are a bit lagging behind. My thermometer says 24 degrees and the wind is gusting to 35 MPH, I am certain!
Its just grundgy here in SW Montana and thats UNUSUAL.
One of the Rifles I need to do my initial load testing for is a 222 Remington - I am guessing a cross wind of 35 MPH would move its bullet about 4 inches!
Shorts for you huh?
Sheesh!
I was just in Phoenix, Arizona for a week in early January doing a body guard assignment and it was 71, 72, 73 and 68 degrees (for highs) while I was there.
THEN, I came home on the day it was -17 degrees (17 degrees BELOW zero!) here, now that was culture shock!
But it has warmed up here since then - its just the wind won't calm down and I can't go shooting!
Sorry about the gun law situation in California - to bad for law abiding Americans!
You guys are still Americans aren't you?
We should all be real careful WHO we vote for.
Hope things improve for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I put 200 rounds through my XR-100 308 last week, while the weather broke.

Narrowed down to 2 loads, 48 grains Varget, 155 Berger VLDs. shot .3's and 47 grains varget with 155 Lapua Scenar shot .2's and .3's for several 5 rounders.

Nathan's rifle (same as mine) shot .2's for several groups of 168 SMK's with Varget powder.

Hornady SST's in 165 and 180, not worth a toss. Swift scirocco's shot poorly also.

Update on my XR .308

I ended up crossing my fingers and got the Weaver T-36 scope and I am pleased with it so far. Now I can see that tiny pencil dot on the target that the BR guys are shooting at. I'm getting consistant .5's with factory Rem 308 match ammo. Adding a thicker recoil pad to lengthen the LOP made a world of difference in they way the gun fits me.

I have ordered my manual, press, primers, VV 150 and Varget powder, and some match king 168's to start out with. I have a helluva a lot to learn
but I have a couple of super nice guys at the range who are helping me shorten my learning curve. I've loaded shotshells by the tens of thousands in the past 11 years so I am not a complete newbie to loading ammo.

I'm looking forward to learning to load my own ammo and becoming a better rifle shooter.

Talon1959: that is some great shooting with factory ammo! Good for you and the XR-100.
I am just the opposite in my loading experience - I have never loaded a shotshell nor a pistol cartridge (I got FREE pistol ammo for 29 years!)!
But I taught MYSELF to reload Rifle ammunition when I was 12 years old and that was nearly 48 years ago! I have been "going strong" loading Rifle ammo ever since.
I do a couple thousand Rifle handloads a year minimum.
Best of luck with the handloads now in your XR-100!
Also this - are you are large person?
I am 6' 3" tall and the XR-100 stocks of my three Rifles fit me to a "T"!
I am puzzled that you needed more length of pull for your best fit.
I do have a short neck though.
Sounds like your shooting (.5" groups with factory ammo!) is just fine.

Bnhpr: Yours and your friends Rifles are shooting so well I am continuing my quiet search for one of Gander Mountains "special" 308 XR-100's and doing so with a little more urgency now!
That is some amazing shooting with a factory Rifle in 308 caliber!
Good for you guys.
I did run into an XR-100 (NIB) in 223 Remington for $650.00 and I may push myself to buy that one, even though I already have ONE in that caliber.
Keep up the great shooting.
Wind was just blazing along here in SW Montana again today - this has been by far the windiest winter here in SW Montana since I moved here nearly 11 years ago!
I am 3 Rifles behind now that need sight in verification and one that needs a bit more load development!
Cursing the wind does NO good - I have found.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I'm a Knuckle Dragger

I'm 6-2 and 260lbs. No neck and long arms. LOL! :eek:

I would love to keep shooting the factory Rem ammo, but it's $30 a box. I have enough Rem brass to last a good while. One of the guys that shoots BR at the range gave me 3 of his reloads and the rifle really showed me what it can do.

Talon1959: that is some great shooting with factory ammo! Good for you and the XR-100.
I am just the opposite in my loading experience - I have never loaded a shotshell nor a pistol cartridge (I got FREE pistol ammo for 29 years!)!
But I taught MYSELF to reload Rifle ammunition when I was 12 years old and that was nearly 48 years ago! I have been "going strong" loading Rifle ammo ever since.
I do a couple thousand Rifle handloads a year minimum.
Best of luck with the handloads now in your XR-100!
Also this - are you are large person?
I am 6' 3" tall and the XR-100 stocks of my three Rifles fit me to a "T"!
I am puzzled that you needed more length of pull for your best fit.
I do have a short neck though.
Sounds like your shooting (.5" groups with factory ammo!) is just fine.

Bnhpr: Yours and your friends Rifles are shooting so well I am continuing my quiet search for one of Gander Mountains "special" 308 XR-100's and doing so with a little more urgency now!
That is some amazing shooting with a factory Rifle in 308 caliber!
Good for you guys.
I did run into an XR-100 (NIB) in 223 Remington for $650.00 and I may push myself to buy that one, even though I already have ONE in that caliber.
Keep up the great shooting.
Wind was just blazing along here in SW Montana again today - this has been by far the windiest winter here in SW Montana since I moved here nearly 11 years ago!
I am 3 Rifles behind now that need sight in verification and one that needs a bit more load development!
Cursing the wind does NO good - I have found.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I have to admit that the LOP is a little short for me, I am also 6.3"

But, LOP is a preferencial issue, and to me, has a lot to do with the bench setup

Worker: The national weather information site says its 27 degrees and the wind is a steady 24 MPH! Both I feel are a bit lagging behind. My thermometer says 24 degrees and the wind is gusting to 35 MPH, I am certain!
Its just grundgy here in SW Montana and thats UNUSUAL.
One of the Rifles I need to do my initial load testing for is a 222 Remington - I am guessing a cross wind of 35 MPH would move its bullet about 4 inches!
Shorts for you huh?
Sheesh!
I was just in Phoenix, Arizona for a week in early January doing a body guard assignment and it was 71, 72, 73 and 68 degrees (for highs) while I was there.
THEN, I came home on the day it was -17 degrees (17 degrees BELOW zero!) here, now that was culture shock!
But it has warmed up here since then - its just the wind won't calm down and I can't go shooting!
Sorry about the gun law situation in California - to bad for law abiding Americans!
You guys are still Americans aren't you?
We should all be real careful WHO we vote for.
Hope things improve for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I'd like to live in Nevada because its a gun friendly state and close to the desert. As an Iron Worker I deal with the elements daily. Working on the bridge many days I was forced to wear thermos ! But dang man those temps you quoted Well what do people do when it gets like that? Ice Fishing? Are there homeless people up there? What sheltered life I've lived.....

Ok, Here's the pic of my xr-100 someone asked me about. Note, I machined off the forearm with a fly cutter in a mill. It is flat and paralell with the barrel.

I also have an aluminum piece that goes between the pistol grip and rear swivel stud (not show) paralell to the forearm.

This helped the rifle track much better in the rest/bag.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 327
XR-100 Discontinued?

I heard the same thing about the discontinuation and have also heard they're just revamping it with some other items and may be out next year as "new and improved". None the less, I went out and bought one in .204 and although it doesn't really like 40 grain bullets, which is fine with me, it'll shoot my pet 32 grain Sierra BK load under .5" all day. That, and I haven't really tried to work up a load for it yet. And I haven't done anything to it either. Other than put a Leupold 6.5x20x50 on it so I can see. Couldn't be happier with it and I only paid $625 for it. I lied just a second ago, oops! I did glue in a couple of lead bars in the forend for added weight to help keep it on target so I can see the little critters go away. I'm also tall at 6'5" and will probably add a recoil pad for extra length. Might pillar bed it then glass bed it also to see if that'll shrink the group sizes.

Love the round and both my .204's - LRPV and XR-100!

Reading all these glowing reviews makes me wish I had not bought a Savage 12BVSS .223 back in late 2006. Should have picked up the XR-100 in .223 instead , sounds like I would have been far more satisfied. But I do own two 700s that perform exceptionally well - a 700LTR and 700SPS in HS Stock - both in .223.

Reading all these glowing reviews makes me wish I had not bought a Savage 12BVSS .223 back in late 2006. Should have picked up the XR-100 in .223 instead , sounds like I would have been far more satisfied. But I do own two 700s that perform exceptionally well - a 700LTR and 700SPS in HS Stock - both in .223.

How does the savage shoot?

I know they handle like crap with the tupperware stock, but my friends model 12 .308 will give me a run on my xr-100 .308

How does the savage shoot?

I know they handle like crap with the tupperware stock, but my friends model 12 .308 will give me a run on my xr-100 .308

Actually my 12BVSS has a very nice laminated stock and is very stable off a rest. The rifle has shot some very nice groups just not consistently. At first I attributed this to the rough bore which I thought would smooth out over time. About 300 rounds later things have not improved. The bore has to be cleaned quite often.

I have used two different scopes - A Weaver V16 duplex and Burris Fullfield 12X. I may mount a second V16 with target dot for the next range session.

The trigger while not a Jewell , is a Sharp Shooter Supply unit installed and adjusted by Fred Moreo of SSS and set at around 14oz.

As far as my ability to shoot consistent groups , it is not a problem with my two 700s.

I have thought of installing a Lothar Walther Supermatch but will probably try to trade it. Unfortunately I have a feeling the Savage , even with the great accuracy rep, will not have a lot of value.

Actually my 12BVSS has a very nice laminated stock and is very stable off a rest. The rifle has shot some very nice groups just not consistently. At first I attributed this to the rough bore which I thought would smooth out over time. About 300 rounds later things have not improved. The bore has to be cleaned quite often.

I have used two different scopes - A Weaver V16 duplex and Burris Fullfield 12X. I may mount a second V16 with target dot for the next range session.

The trigger while not a Jewell , is a Sharp Shooter Supply unit installed and adjusted by Fred Moreo of SSS and set at around 14oz.

As far as my ability to shoot consistent groups , it is not a problem with my two 700s.

I have thought of installing a Lothar Walther Supermatch but will probably try to trade it. Unfortunately I have a feeling the Savage , even with the great accuracy rep, will not have a lot of value.

There are some folks on here that have reported good luck from the pac-nor savage drop ins.

I'm a 700 fan as well though.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Back