Yikes! XR-100 Discontinued!

Tomorrow im also going to be getting my xr 100 beddit and trigger set to

It seems the xr 100 remington is the toast of the town

Willeboy

I don't guess anybody ever answered your Question.

There are three different action lengths in the series that traces it's roots back to the 721-722.

There is the standard long action, the standard short action, (which includes the 40x), and the (for lack of a better term), the super short, which includes the old 600-660 series, the XP-100, the model 7, and the XR-100. The best way to quickly identify a super shorty is the single scope mounting screw in the rear. The long and standard short have duel screws front and back.

In fact, they all share the same "three rings of steel" barrel tenon. Within manufacturing tolerances, you can just about interchange any of the barrels.

A few years ago, I went to Wall Mart and bought one of those cheap "tupperware" stocked Remingtons in 308 to rob the action off of. A friend of my sons had a old Remington ADL in 243 that had water get in the barrel and rust it. We took that brand new 308 barrel, screwed it onto the 30+ year old 700, and it worked fine...........jackie

mr. jackie, you probably have

a few handfulls of recoil lugs---makes it really easy to switch em out when you got just the right thickness of lug---most times the lettering isn't indexed correctly. AND this brings a question up.....Do the guys at the factory have an assortment of lug thickness to use? surely they don't adjust headspace on a lathe?? I assume this is why I have several lugs differing in thickness?? They must stamp the letters after assembly????

Remington headspace

I was told years ago that Remington used the bolts to determine headspace. In other words they changed bolts until the headspace was correct, Then they scribed the serial # on the bolt.:)

Jim

Hippy I never

even thought about it that way---- they could solder different length lug/bolt face assemblies to the bolts and just have a bin with different lengths. Always two ways to do the skinning--my dad always preferred the most difficult or labor intensive method to any task.

Mbp

We didn't care where the lettering, or the sight screws came out. The Rifle had a scope. I just used the same recoil lug. Worked just fine. He
was happy he got a brand new barrel for nothing.

And before everybody jumps all over me, we checked it with a 243-308 headspace gage. Don't do this unless you know what you are doing.........jackie

Discontinued Remingtons

My understanding from my dealer is that Remington has now droped the Model Seven:eek:

jackie

I did not mean to sound sarcastic. I have two with the letters in the wrong spot--one a horse fell on and it was really bent and another that was left in a feed room and got really rusted. I don't care about the letters either. It really does help to have an assortment of lugs----I still would like to know how rem. does it if anyone knows for sure???? thanks marc

Marc

Not just Remington, but every mass production manufacturer.

I wish I had 10 remington bolts, so I could check the dimension on each from the back of the luggs to the face of the bolt. I have a gut feeling that they would all be within a couple of thousanths of each other, or within the manufacturing tolerances set forth by the build specs.

The difference between a go and no go gage is pretty generous. Maybe they are able to hold all of the criticle dimensions on thye various pieces close enough so that when the parts are assembled, they fall within that range.

Be nice if someone from Remington, Winchester, etc could log on and say what the assembly procedures are.........jackie

mr. schmidt

I agree, the bolts are pretty close. The recoil lugs I have all vary quite a bit---I could not tell you what they came off of( 700,722,721,78 sportsman,40x) so I am inclined to think maybe they headspace with different lug thickness??? I also wish someone could tell me how the do it. They could hold everything close enough to work out, I haven't thought about that either, seems logical, but why are there different thickness lugs?--- marc

Last edited:
I don't believe Remington lugs are made in different thicknesses... they are all "about" the same for being stamped out of a sheet of steel.

I don't think they make their bolts heads in different lengths either. Bolts are close to each other in specs, only out small differences due to manufacturing tolerances.

I suspect they finish chambering (headspace) with the barrel installed on the action. They do headspace each barreled action to the specific bolt during assembly and I suspect any drilling and tapping and any print stamping is done on an otherwise finished barreled action.

dennis

I just measured 8 lugs about+/- 1 thsds 0.187 to 0.192 (depending upon where you measure them) I was thinking there was more spread on them. they are all within 5 thsds. I am still wondering if this is intentional since the lugs measure everywhere in between the above #'s. marc

I think that is a normal spread for the cheapest bulk 3/16 flat stock you can buy...

I suspect the reason is ===lack of sales.

Now that I think of it I dont ever recall seeing one in a case at a gun shop.
Probably why sales are down.

look at the front of the action...

see the belt sander marks ....that is how they set the headspace....Roger

Big Green is about the Green and the Green is in Black

If you missed something we are in two wars right now. Big Green has been bought by a parent company who is all about making money.

The civilian market is shrinking every year.

The back bone of Big green the model 700, model 870, and formerly the 1100 have been surpassed by better, more reliable and in some cases less expensive products.

Big Green has seen how the only growing civilian market was the Black rifle market. They jumped on the band wagon with both feet.

For the civilian who wants a top end model 700 the custom clone maker have taken that market.

For the civilian who is looking for a less expensive hunting rifle Savage has about taken up that market.

For those wanting as mid range priced target center fire Savage has taken that market too.

I hear Remington is going to market a handgun at the shot show. That is a market they have been out of for 75 years. I fee sure they will have a difficult time with Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Sig, H&K, Springfield, Browning, and a list of others already competing for that market.

In the business world success follows the money.

History will tell us the end of the Big Green Story.

Nat Lambeth

Hippy

even thought about it that way---- they could solder different length lug/bolt face assemblies to the bolts and just have a bin with different lengths. Always two ways to do the skinning--my dad always preferred the most difficult or labor intensive method to any task.

They do that with their Semi-Auto... mark

Back