What's Your Ride?

Al Nyhus, Where is your 409 car?

Butch, I paid my way through school buying and selling complete 409 cars and parts as the collector status of them soared. Sad to say, none remain in my possession. :( Here's my favorite from the "I should have kept that one" file:

A pal's beautiful '62 Biscayne 409:

409's are just too cool.....:cool:

Last edited:
Lee

Found the shoebox and some photos. Won't get them posted today. Do a search for Hot Rod Magazine April 1979. That's my car on the cover. It belonged to Shawn Steele who got it from the guy I sold it to. Shawn had it for sale shortly after it made the magazine cover. The motor and drive train were all new. He even junked our air induction system and put the stock grill back in. I ran into Shawn again about 10-15 years later at Sacramento Raceway. He hadn't seen the car since he sold it. My son has tried for several years to locate the car. He burned copies of the magazine cover and would post them "Have you seen this car, contact etc. etc.". The last time he did this was at the Nostalgia Drags in Bakersfield. Nothing. He thinks it will be found someday in a shed in central California. Who knows.
Mort

Last edited:
Butch, I paid my way through school buying and selling complete 409 cars and parts as the collector status of them soared. Sad to say, none remain in my possession. :( Here's my favorite from the "I should have kept that one" file:

A pal's beautiful .62 Biscayne 409:

409's are just too cool.....:cool:

Nice car Al. Those 2 door posts look nice, especially black. I don't have enough ambition to keep a black car clean. Barely enough to keep my black HD clean.....

Nice win with the '64, Dave! :cool:Great video and I love the tin hat. Those 409's have a sound all to themselves, don't they? Another local pal has a '63 409/400 (a 409/425 but with a single AFB) going together...should be sweet.

Good shootin'. -Al

Nice looking ride/video Jackie. I am running Mickey Thompson 10.5X28" slicks with the stiff sidewall that these heavy cars need. Below is a couple of pics on start up. I had a guy from California named Jack Gibbs build by engine. As of a couple years ago he had built over 500 409's. The block pictured and is in my car was the 7th block produced for the 1965 production year. There were 2,828 409 cars sold in 1965 with the 409 production ending in February. The 396 became available then. The 409's had some rod and top end problems, but then everyone probably beat the crap out of them also. I still have the original 409/340Hp engine from my car and have a 1962 block and heads matching numbers I bought in 1992. I took the heads off the engine, put the complete block in a 55 gallon barrel, put the heads down beside it, and filled the barrel full of used oil. It is still marinating.

The shoes are just for racing...............

We had a couple of real 409 aficionados here in East Houston back in the '60's. Fains Auto a supply and Machine had an entire attic above their shop stacked with blocks, heads, cranks, just about everything. One of my Hot Rod mentors, Tommy Thacker, had a 63 that he ran in NHRA SS, and he did go through a lot of parts. Piston weight, I suppose, was the big culprit. Modern slugs have changed all of that.

I really like your '64. Watching that thing almost carry that left front through 60' is about as cool as it gets.

I plan on getting to the track soon. My big problem is no driveshaft loop. I went out to The Big Track in Baytown right after I got that Holley Fule Injection on, and the Tech Guy looked under and said no driveshaft loop, no run. With that 3 inch X Pipe exhaust, I am trying to figure out a way to install one. Not much room left.

I tried to tell them that with those street tires, it wasn't going to break anything, but they would not bend.

Anyway, I have a lot of fun just driving my Malibu. It does just exactly what it's supposed to do. Get a lot of attention.:cool:

I bought a Yenko 69 Camaro new and should have never sold that one, but who knew and I needed the money when I sold it. :( Same with two Baldwin Motion Cars.

Bob

Nice win with the '64, Dave! :cool:Great video and I love the tin hat. Those 409's have a sound all to themselves, don't they? Another local pal has a '63 409/400 (a 409/425 but with a single AFB) going together...should be sweet.

Good shootin'. -Al

Ya Al, the tin hat is going to be the annual traveling trophy. The guy in the tower told me one time the same thing about the sound of the 09's. Actually, after all the really fast cars that run, he said my car kind of shook the tower. I was kind of flattered he would say that about a street car. I had never raced a car at a legal track until 3 years ago..... I had raced my Harley once in the early 70's though. When I sent the engine off to be built I had no intentions of racing, but after I got it back and felt that torque.............I had no choice but to start racing. I could probably buy 2 modern engines with more power than what I have invested in that 09.................;)

That's a nice ride you have there Al.

Later
Dave

Found the shoebox and some photos. Won't get them posted today. Do a search for Hot Rod Magazine April 1979. That's my car on the cover. It belonged to Bob Steele who got it from the guy I sold it to. Bob had it for sale shortly after it made the magazine cover. The motor and drive train were all new. He even junked our air induction system and put the stock grill back in. I ran into Bob again about 10-15 years later at Sacramento Raceway. He hadn't seen the car since he sold it. My son has tried for several years to locate the car. He burned copies of the magazine cover and would post them "Have you seen this car, contact etc. etc.". The last time he did this was at the Nostalgia Drags in Bakersfield. Nothing. He thinks it will be found someday in a shed in central California. Who knows.
Mort

Thanks Mort. My dad has Hot Rods from the late 60's - early 2000's. I'll dig out the April of '79 issue. And if you get a chance to scan your photos I'd love to see those too.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

My nailhead starting up years ago when I lived in a townhouse (the neighbors never took a liking to the car for obvious reasons).

The first few seconds are the electric fuel pump. After that you can hear the cam. It's on old-style Schneider grind.....big lift, big duration, and really tight lobe separation. 106 degrees if I remember correctly.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

My nailhead starting up years ago when I lived in a townhouse (the neighbors never took a liking to the car for obvious reasons).

The first few seconds are the electric fuel pump. After that you can hear the cam. It's on old-style Schneider grind.....big lift, big duration, and really tight lobe separation. 106 degrees if I remember correctly.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

That's a knarly sounding nail head.
That fuel pump sounds like an old Holley "Blue Pump".

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Nice, Lee.

Went on NHRA today and was checking out Ronda and the thunderbolt and came across on the right hand side is a picture of 2 women, looks like they are hugging or something with the words, YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, so I was, without a doubt, interested, and then found out it was the old Microsoft SCAM, so beware. You have been warned.

Back