What's Your Ride?

Haven't seen one in a long time but it looks like a nailhead. - Mort

Yep, it's a nailhead out of a '62 Buick. This one is a 401 we bored 0.060" over (~414). It has custom 12.5:1 pistons so it takes a little more than pump gas. The cam is a really "big" Schneider. Induction is by way of two fours on a Offenhauser manifold....straight linkange, meaning both sets of primaries are always open. I was shocked when told to set the Offy up that way but it'll idle all day and never loads up. All of this is in front of a Borg Warner Super T-10.

Looking forward to seeing more photos of your '55 if you find that shoebox.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I gotta hear more about this one. What sort of ET's?

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Never made it to the strip with this one, strictly a street car. I did have the engine in a 1,000# heavier car that run mid tens back when mid tens was really hard to do. The Honda has an honest 650-700 hp and weighs 2300 lbs, hooks up great, so take it from there. I can remember a time when a Vette from Grand Rapids would pull up to the line and run 11.40's and everybody would stop what they were doing and run to the fence and watch. Now 11.40 seems really slow unless you are in the car!

My favorite ride is a 1982 MasterCraft; it looks similar to this >>> https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=56264 and this >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxyGD64PBuw. It's got a 351 with the Power Slot transmission and is more fully explained here >>> http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2749&d=1128790865 (click the "Open" tab).

It's not terribly fast (top end is only about 45 mph), but it gets there fast. If you want to go FAST all you need to do is hang onto a 35' foot rope and run a slalom course with the boat going 36 mph; no telling how fast you're going when you hit the wake. :)

Last edited:
Never made it to the strip with this one, strictly a street car. I did have the engine in a 1,000# heavier car that run mid tens back when mid tens was really hard to do. The Honda has an honest 650-700 hp and weighs 2300 lbs, hooks up great, so take it from there. I can remember a time when a Vette from Grand Rapids would pull up to the line and run 11.40's and everybody would stop what they were doing and run to the fence and watch. Now 11.40 seems really slow unless you are in the car!

I have found that people who think 11.40 is slow, (especially in a real Street Car), have watched too many episodes of Gas Monkey Garage and have never been in a car that would come anywhere near that.

Here is a picture of my younger Brother's hot rod. 2016 ZO-6 Vette.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17424&stc=1&d=1455644573

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
1964 gto

455 dyno'd at 600HP, 600 lbft torque. Not mine but belongs to a friend I work with. We have taken a few test runs. This will run in the 10s, tested at the track.

Attachments

• 100_0099.jpg
    100_0099.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 242
  • 100_0103.jpg
    100_0103.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 232
Loud, hot, and unforgiving. 500 HP @2550 lbs. on a 90" wheelbase is what I'd call "challanging".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 268
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Hey Matt,

Which one do you tote your drop port to the range in....LOL

]

27 tall T turned into a roadster. 348 W block with original GM tripower
37 Chevy 383 stroker.[/QUOTE]

1987 Suzuki Samurai "Tin Top" with a 1995 16 valve fuel injected engine swap which doubles the power to a wapping 120 HP!

5" lift, 33" tires running 15 psi, Center Force Clutch, 3.73 rear, 4.60 transfer.

Everything but the body is custom.

My wife hates it, but my dogs love it.

Attachments

• Samurai.jpg
    Samurai.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 189
1987 Suzuki Samurai "Tin Top" with a 1995 16 valve fuel injected engine swap which doubles the power to a wapping 120 HP!

5" lift, 33" tires running 15 psi, Center Force Clutch, 3.73 rear, 4.60 transfer.

Everything but the body is custom.

My wife hates it, but my dogs love it.

That thing is just itching for a little Turbo Charger. Make the boost match the tire pressure,
Double the power, double the fun:D

"Everything but the body is custom". I get that a lot with my Malibu. People will ask, "how much is original"?

My reply is...."the windshield wiper motor.....and I have my doubts about it":)

Mrspraldn

Like the truck but like the engine in the roadster more. It's one of those things you just don't see anymore. A friend of mine ran a Tri Power 58 Chevy in D or E/S.The guy was really sharp and worked for GM. He gave classes to the guys that worked at the dealerships when anything new would be coming down. We went to highschool together. He's the only guy that got A's in auto shop.
Nice ride

Last edited:
Al Nylus

I doubt the spectators have any idea of the amount of work and engineering it takes to make these stockers go fast. The guy who helped me build the race engine for the 55 is still at it and races a K/SA Pontiac. Won class at Indy a few years back. He was too quick so the NHRA added horsepower to his car. He races out of Division 7 - 7515. It's been sitting for a couple of years now. He's to fat and old to crawl underneath his car so he plans on putting in a hoist this year.
Good luck with your car!
Mort

Bob

Back when I had more $ then brains HaHaHa 62,327 60 over crane roller, tunnel ram 565 hp on the dyno

Is that a B/MP machine? Looks like 7" tires. I like the wrinkle wall. Used to run 6 lbs. If you happened to move the steering wheel on a powershift things could get a little hairy.

That thing is just itching for a little Turbo Charger. Make the boost match the tire pressure,
Double the power, double the fun:D

"Everything but the body is custom". I get that a lot with my Malibu. People will ask, "how much is original"?

My reply is...."the windshield wiper motor.....and I have my doubts about it":)

Jackie,

Last week I destroyed pinion shaft! I think if I used a Turbo much more would be destroyed the first time out.

Let's see now....If I swapped to Toyota axels, then, then, then

Back