What's Your Ride?

Jackie,

Let's see now....If I swapped to Toyota axels, then, then, then

That's what's addicting about Hot Rodding. You start out with an idea as to what you want to build, (usually something with more power than we have brains), and it turns into an endless array of modifications that you have to do because you did something else.

But that's where the fun is. I have had my car since 1991, and as impressive as that array of equipment that I have assembled to make it what it is, it is still not "finished".:p

Truth is, it will never be "finished:p:p

Sounds a lot like Benchrest a Shooting, doesn't it.

Last edited:
Is that a B/MP machine? Looks like 7" tires. I like the wrinkle wall. Used to run 6 lbs. If you happened to move the steering wheel on a powershift things could get a little hairy.

Yep B/mp last run was in the middle 70,s Could run just under the National record (don,t remember what it was then) but there were guy,s running quicker But nobody eould set the record then they would have to spot more! HaHaHa Don,t care for it anymore since they don,t run classes. Oh well still had some fun This is my current!

Attachments

• bino,.s 081.jpg
    bino,.s 081.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 205
My ride...

a 2007 GMC 2500 duramax/Allison pickup. don't get much better. Reluctantly sold my 1941 Chevy YS 1 1/2 ton truck a couple years ago for lack of use. That was a fun vehicle. Always gravitated toward the commercial stuff. If I want to go fast I take a ride in a passenger jet.

Aint nothing like the rumble of a v8..unless
it is the rumble of 30 v8's at full throttle,
going thru the old turn 2 of laguna seca race track.

NEVER OWNED A V8....love the sound!

October Bracket Race

Had a 16 car field. Everything from 8 and 10 second cars to 15 second cars. Got lucky and won with my old school 409-4 speed, 4,240# ride, the Crusher......... street car;) Also is a picture of the trophy. This is going to be an annual event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8crQLXyV7KU

Later
Dave

Attachments

• Crusher Trophy.jpg
    Crusher Trophy.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
V8's are becoming a thing of the past:-(

Ford's new Raptor will have 500 HP out of a V6 with twin turbo chargers and a 10 speed trans.

I'm keeping my 7.3 diesel.

Had a 16 car field. Everything from 8 and 10 second cars to 15 second cars. Got lucky and won with my old school 409-4 speed, 4,240# ride, the Crusher......... street car;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8crQLXyV7KU

Later
Dave

What sort of heads are you using Dave? I know Walden, Edelbrock, and probably another make aluminum heads for those. Really slick car you have there.

My dad's best friend had a dual quad '63 409 (blue/white rag top convertible). Eventually it upgraded with a 505C magnum Isky roller, headers, slicks, breaker-less ignition, etc. The only downside is he couldn't keep the rear-end together. Apparently he broke a lot of 4.88 sets. The car was run at local DC tracks but mostly on the street. I'll have to ask him what it turned in the quarter. BTW, there were a couple of famous 409's in the area back then (well, one was technically a 427). My dad knew Malcolm Durham and Mousie Brown pretty well.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

What sort of heads are you using Dave? I know Walden, Edelbrock, and probably another make aluminum heads for those. Really slick car you have there.

My dad's best friend had a dual quad '63 409 (blue/white rag top convertible). Eventually it upgraded with a 505C magnum Isky roller, headers, slicks, breaker-less ignition, etc. The only downside is he couldn't keep the rear-end together. Apparently he broke a lot of 4.88 sets. The car was run at local DC tracks but mostly on the street. I'll have to ask him what it turned in the quarter. BTW, there were a couple of famous 409's in the area back then (well, one was technically a 427). My dad knew Malcolm Durham and Mousie Brown pretty well.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Thanks Lee
The heads are from BWR(Bob Walla Racing) from Indiana. He unfortunately came out with his heads the same time as Edelbrock did. I bought them for my Wife's Valentines Day present last year. Drove over to a shop near Chicago and watched them do the flow test and headed for home. Previously I was using the old 690 heads with a p&p job. Never did know how much they flowed, but I picked up a couple tenths with the BWR's.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Lee
The heads are from BWR(Bob Walla Racing) from Indiana. He unfortunately came out with his heads the same time as Edelbrock did. I bought them for my Wife's Valentines Day present last year. Drove over to a shop near Chicago and watched them do the flow test and headed for home. Previously I was using the old 690 heads with a p&p job. Never did know how much they flowed, but I picked up a couple tenths with the BWR's.

Later
Dave

Dave, are you running slicks or some type of DOT drag radial?

Gets me to the closest airport to a match, but then carrying a 17 pound rifle and all the equipment on a folding bicycle is a problem! 0-60 is pretty good too. Gas mileage isn't though.

Bob

Attachments

• 340-A.jpg
    340-A.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 206
Nice looking ride/video Jackie. I am running Mickey Thompson 10.5X28" slicks with the stiff sidewall that these heavy cars need. Below is a couple of pics on start up. I had a guy from California named Jack Gibbs build by engine. As of a couple years ago he had built over 500 409's. The block pictured and is in my car was the 7th block produced for the 1965 production year. There were 2,828 409 cars sold in 1965 with the 409 production ending in February. The 396 became available then. The 409's had some rod and top end problems, but then everyone probably beat the crap out of them also. I still have the original 409/340Hp engine from my car and have a 1962 block and heads matching numbers I bought in 1992. I took the heads off the engine, put the complete block in a 55 gallon barrel, put the heads down beside it, and filled the barrel full of used oil. It is still marinating.

The shoes are just for racing...............

Attachments

• DSCN2192.jpg Gibbs.jpg
    DSCN2192.jpg Gibbs.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 254
  • DSCN2187.jpg Gibbs.jpg
    DSCN2187.jpg Gibbs.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 246
  • 409 Shoes.jpg
    409 Shoes.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
shall we call those
Coots Boots

Nice looking ride/video Jackie. I am running Mickey Thompson 10.5X28" slicks with the stiff sidewall that these heavy cars need. Below is a couple of pics on start up. I had a guy from California named jack Gibbs build by engine. As of a couple years ago he had built over 500 409's.

The shoes are just for racing...............

I doubt the spectators have any idea of the amount of work and engineering it takes to make these stockers go fast. Mort

Yeah, that's the truth. Stockers are very limited as to what can be changed. The engine has to have the same valve lift as originally produced (.390/.410 hydraulic in my case), stock compression ratio, stock valve sizes (1.94/1.50's on mine), heads cannot be ported and intake and exhaust runners must hold the cc's of an unmodified stock head, original intake and carb required (cast iron and a QJet on mine) and so on. So you scratch for every 2-3 h.p. or .002-.003 hundredths of a second. Tuning is critical on these cars. Even with all the restrictions, a good one will make 1.2 h.p./cu.in. and an exceptional one will make 1.3.

The NHRA index for G/SA is 12.00. At 3,140 minimum wt for the class, it went .71 under last season in 3,200 ft Density Altitude.

Heading to the dyno next week after doing some off season work on the oiling system to try a free up a couple of more horsepower.

This splayed valve 358 cu in small block Chevy for a pals SS/AM car made over 2.3 hp per cubic inch. No power adders, all motor.

Back