What thing(s) you do not like on the seb rest?

Don,
Some "BWS" (balance weight system) will be sent to the US dealer Ernie Bishop on the next shipment (around first week of April) - so you can get it from him.
His email is ernieemily(at)yahoo.com

Unfortunately I can't go to the SS this year. Conflict of time,....and money!;)

My offer will still be valid anytime you wish.
A little "tip" about the BWS...you can set the tension a bit loose with the use of the BWS. Be sure though that the rest top doesn't move when you "shake" it (means that the tip of the tension screws still must "touching" the pressure plate inside..you can feel it when adjusting the screws).
Trust me, with proper counterweight your rest will 100% hold/stay - even during recoil! It would have smoother movements also.

Price?
BWS for gun under 20 lbs = around $ 15.00 (one piece, around 1 lbs)
BWS for gun 20 to 40 lbs = around $ 20.00 (one piece, around 3 lbs)
BWS for gun over 40 lbs = around $ 35.00 - or more (two pieces & adjustable, around 5 lbs or more)
Plus shipping.
Made from s/s round stock. Comes with counter nut.
(That's the estimate USA pricing).

Remember, the BWS is basically a chunk of s/s. You can make a counter weight yourself for your seb rest if you have access to a lathe.

seb.

Thanks Seb,
I have emailed Ernie to save me a counterweight when they come in. Jerry on this post mentioned "Tension screws" he obtained from your previous Rep. Said they smoothed out the movements in his rest. Are they still avaiable?
Don

Ok Pete....

that my bank is a very conservative bank but I felt if they weren't willing to do the transaction to your country there was a pretty good reason for it.

License someone in this country to make your rests and there won't be an issue then.

Ok Pete; better shuck the Lapua brass and go back to Remington, Winchester, or Federal. Oh...and no more Vit powder either.;)

virg

It's only an issue because you make it one. If he had them made here he'd probably have to raise the price to a level where they wouldn't sell. And just why should he do that anyway. He's an entrepreneur in his own country and good for him. If you're so against him selling his product in this country why don't you start your own company and build a rest as good or better than his and sell it for less. That is the American way not freezing out competition.

+1 I agree completely

24qixih.jpg

SEB,
While waiting for a reply from Ernie on buying a counterweight (He hasn't responded to two emails in a couple of days) I decided to try building one. I don't have a lathe ,only a drill Press. I did have a length of 1" Ø Brass rod and some Nylon Rods I use for wind flags. A 4" length of the brass rod weighs a little less than one pound. I replaced the front stop with the simple nylon stop to reduce interference.

While I haven't taken it to the range yet, it seems to dramatically smooth out the movements.

My question:
If a 1 lb counterweight works so well, why isn't it included as standard on your rests?

I currently have a Farley Compact and have been considering upgrading to a Seb. I like the 'reverse' action of the Compact and the Seb appears to the the only other press that can be set up this way.

I have been cogitating on the 'BWS' and have come to the conclusion that it is only applicable on a rest set up for the 'normal' movement instead of the reverse movement. Is this correct or am I missing something? Hmmm, or would the balance weight go on the knob end of the joystick ???? Possibly the joystick itself is the counterweight in the reversed action ???

Ray

24qixih.jpg
SEB,
My question:
If a 1 lb counterweight works so well, why isn't it included as standard on your rests?

He probably never thought of it until recently and many people are probably happy with it the way it is. All kinds of 'improvements' can be made to an item once you have 100's of people using it versus the guy that made it getting it into production and then moving onto the next project [ ie making a living ].

24qixih.jpg

SEB,
While waiting for a reply from Ernie on buying a counterweight (He hasn't responded to two emails in a couple of days) I decided to try building one. I don't have a lathe ,only a drill Press. I did have a length of 1" Ø Brass rod and some Nylon Rods I use for wind flags. A 4" length of the brass rod weighs a little less than one pound. I replaced the front stop with the simple nylon stop to reduce interference.

While I haven't taken it to the range yet, it seems to dramatically smooth out the movements.
That's a nice BWS, Don. Congrats!. So you also find that it can smoothen the movements.;)

My question:
The "BWS" is invented when Paul & I were discussing & modify a rest for "The Fist of God" (a Heavy Gun) sometime ago at the SuperShoot 2008.
Maybe Dick Wright can explain about it better than me...

seb.:)

PS: It seems that Ernie out of town(?) - he usually respons to emails promptly.

Last edited:
I currently have a Farley Compact and have been considering upgrading to a Seb. I like the 'reverse' action of the Compact and the Seb appears to the the only other press that can be set up this way.

I have been cogitating on the 'BWS' and have come to the conclusion that it is only applicable on a rest set up for the 'normal' movement instead of the reverse movement. Is this correct or am I missing something? Hmmm, or would the balance weight go on the knob end of the joystick ???? Possibly the joystick itself is the counterweight in the reversed action ???

Ray

Ray, if I can catch yours correctly(?) - you can use the BWS either on the "front" side or the "rear" side - depends on how you would use the rest/joystick. As you might already knew, my rest has "double side" feature so you can move the rest top & joystick in the same direction, or in the opposite direction simply by reversing the joystick & coax unit. It's the only one in the market....and I would probably patent it.

seb.

Pete and others ...

I will admit that my bank is a very conservative bank but I felt if they weren't willing to do the transaction to your country there was a pretty good reason for it.

Nothing personal and there are a lot of things about your rest that I find attractive but in this time of financial upheaval in this country and the unemployment rate at 10% and going up, we need to think about keeping our money in our country as much as we can. Francis is right on the mark as far as I am concerned with this issue. Our balance of trade has been "Over the Moon" for far too long and we need to get it back to where we can at least see it once again.

License someone in this country to make your rests and there won't be an issue then.

The balance of trade deficit for this country is in the hundreds of billions of dollars. Last year alone it was 677.1 BILLION. That was down from $700.3 BILLION in 2007. The January 2009 figure was revised slightly downward to $36.0 Billion.

I seriously doubt that anyone in the Benchrest community buying one rest or even 5000 from Seb is going to make an appreciable difference in our International Trade Deficit. If someone is inclined to buy one; do it. Keeping Benchrest suppliers alive and well, both in this country and outside of it, helps maintain the longevity of our small but vibrant (some would say declining) Sport.

Is there anyone who is inclined not to buy Lapua brass because it's not made in this country ??? Very few I would suspect. How about March scopes ??? Made in Japan I believe. We need both international and domestic suppliers.

Looking at a much larger industry or industries (like the DOW and/or the S&P 500 components) to peg our concerns to would be more appropriate. ;)

My Seb is reversed----

Ray

And I use a counter weight. My weight only weighs 6 oz and that seems to work for me. And as I mentioned, at one time Paul Schimt offered a set of replacement tension screws that seemed to help some. after adding the counter weight, I feel that I have the perfect set up. I too was going to go with the compact because I cant get used to the "bassakwards" way the standard works-- Took me forever to get back on target-- My mind works as if I move the butt stock to the right, my bullet is going left. I can shoot much faster with the reversed Seb. Keep in mind that I'm a backwards type person.

P.s.

Ray, what you may be missing is that the stud that the joystick fastens to sticks out on both sides on Seb rest. That is why you can reverse the whole top unit. It slips off the base and can be turned arround.

I think the major advantage of the 'reversed' action is that your hand is closer to the bench top when you are on the record target of a group target. Also on a score target I shoot from the bottom to the top so your hand is moving closer to the bench top for the later bulls. I feel that having your hand closer to the 'base' [ bench top ] allows for more precise control.

Crb,
Like Jerry, personally I prefer to use my rest in "reverse" motion. But actually, you can ONLY TWIST the joystick when moving from sighter to the record (or from the bottom to the top, or vice versa). With this way your hand will be solid on the bench top, not hanging etc. Mike Ratigan once explained me that my joystick must be more bend, for that reason. (Thanks you, Mike! :)). I have changed them on my newer rests. They are more bend now.
seb.

Last edited:
Seb,

Mike and I received your rest last summer and used it a lot last fall. We had to slightly modify the counterweight to clear the front screw. We probably wouldn't have had to do that but we use it for hunting rather than BR shooting and needed more than the normal amount of movement.

The rest is for our 43 lb. bench gun (The Fist of God) and as far as we are concerned it works perfectly.

Did you get a Feb. 09 issue of Precision Shooting? The article about the rifle, rest, etc, was in that issue.

Keep up the good work.

Dick Wright

Dick,
Thanks you for your informations!
Once again, I would like to thanks you & Mike for your confidence to asked me to make the rest. Without that I & Paul would not find the "BWS"!
Also thanks you so much for including the rest in the PS mag!
I still didn't get/read the mag, but heard about it from a friend and he would send a copy to me very soon.

Free play in handle

Seb,
After using my rest for approximately 18 months (2 or 3 times a week) considerable free play developed in the joystick. I tracked this down to a worn bearing and replaced both of the bearings in the rest with Teflon coated bearing and this has smoothed out the movement and removed almost all free play. I don't know if anyone else has had problems with a bearing.
Regards
Allan

Ah Greed

The balance of trade deficit for this country is in the hundreds of billions of dollars. Last year alone it was 677.1 BILLION. That was down from $700.3 BILLION in 2007. The January 2009 figure was revised slightly downward to $36.0 Billion.

I seriously doubt that anyone in the Benchrest community buying one rest or even 5000 from Seb is going to make an appreciable difference in our International Trade Deficit. If someone is inclined to buy one; do it. Keeping Benchrest suppliers alive and well, both in this country and outside of it, helps maintain the longevity of our small but vibrant (some would say declining) Sport.

Is there anyone who is inclined not to buy Lapua brass because it's not made in this country ??? Very few I would suspect. How about March scopes ??? Made in Japan I believe. We need both international and domestic suppliers.

Looking at a much larger industry or industries (like the DOW and/or the S&P 500 components) to peg our concerns to would be more appropriate. ;)

You can try to pass this off anyway you want to. One's greed must be satisfied, no matter what, aye? Every little bit helps ( remember the lesson of the little boy who stuck his finger inthe dyke?)

We benchreste shouldn't have any special status. We should all do our part to help our country. If you don't care enough about the way things are here to help then so be it. It's the Large Companies that have taken us ino this mess so we can't look at them for anything except stealing from us all. We are the only ones who can do anything to help.

The cases I made this winter were made from 308 Remington brass and I just finished fireforming them yesterday. They will be as good as the Lapua that I normally would have used. They were made mostly from cases others had thrown away at the range; not caring about what they did by throwing them away. If you think you need to keep the economy of Scandinavia clicking along by buying their products fine but one could go in a different direction if they wanted to help their country.

Last edited:
Seb,
After using my rest for approximately 18 months (2 or 3 times a week) considerable free play developed in the joystick. I tracked this down to a worn bearing and replaced both of the bearings in the rest with Teflon coated bearing and this has smoothed out the movement and removed almost all free play. I don't know if anyone else has had problems with a bearing.
Regards
Allan

Allan,
Thanks you for your valuable input! :)
I have tried my best before, but I could not find a better bearing overhere in Indonesia.:eek: Yes, I do feel that finer bearing should improve the seb rests. Would you please give me info on the bearing you use?
seb.

Seb

The reason behind wanting an easier method to adjusting the tensions is I have one rest, and three rifles. Their weights are 17lb, 13.5lb, and 10.5lb.

Going from the 17lb to the 10.5lb means I have to adjust the tension for smooth movement, and vise versa.

I would love a quick and simple way to adjust the tension.

Maybe like a course and fine adjustment that can be adjusted my hand, no tools.

I am interested in this counter weight!

Cheers
AI

AI,
If you have access to a lathe(?), you can even make your own BWS.
One inch rod (stainless steel, brass, whatever), about 5 inches long should be okay for your rifles.
But I can prepare one for you if you want.
Contact Rob Carnell, please. It will be a shipment to him in a few days.
Or maybe Rob can easily make it, if you ask him.

Back