What Happened to RBA? what will happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely. At that match there was ample time for anybody to make any contribution, many did, and did so for quite a while, only then was it put to bed. Did not seem heavy handed in the least IMHO.

Tim,
I think you have summed up the IR5050 meeting the best of anyone who has posted on this issue.

As you and others are aware, I was the one who brought the sporter changes up and played devil's advocate for the changes. When it was apparent that the majority of shooters did not want the changes, Wilbur did the right thing by going on to other topics and that was the end of the discussion.

The end result of the discussion showed what the shooters wanted for rules, which in most cases is the right thing. Afterall, without shooters, the game will disappear. To be successful, the games have to be for the majority of those shooters actively participating in them. Otherwise, they will simply go in another direction, leaving the organization to die an unglamorous death at the hands of the minority.

Dave, if the rule changes are brought up next year, it will not be by me.

Kent, you can keep the snakes, but I'll shoot a broomhandle stock if you will.

Gary

Guys,
Please don't forget, this thread is supposed to be about the problems with RBA and has nothing to do with Wilber or IR 50/50, no one can please everyone, but most seem happy with the way IR 50/50 is run and if a person wants to shoot IR 50/50 he goes by Wilber's rules or he goes some place else to shoot.

This is about the RBA and member involvement, or non-involvement as the case may be. RBA is not a privately owned club or run by one or a few people, it's supposed to be run by the shooters and for the shooters that pay dues, and from what has been said so far that's not what has been happening, it's starting to sound like one of the "good old boys clubs", not a good thing when other members are paying the freight.
S/S

I think the changes were made to try to increase shooter participation. If you have any other ideas on how to get more shooters, your thoughts would be welcome.

"I think the changes were made to try to increase shooter participation"

That may be so, but the way it was done probablty was not the way to do it, now you may want to re-think what has been done and figure out some way to keep the members you have.
S/S

Gary, I beg to differ and ask you to reconsider. Firstly I would not call you the devil's advocate, on the contrary the measure of a healthy and vibrant organization is the ability to voice any rule to either change or verify it. The discussion was civil and thought provoking. The fact that nothing happened this year should not make you feel the least bit reluctant to bring it to the table down the road. This sport has always balanced change and tradition, it's a constant work in progress,no?

SS,
I apologize for even getting in on this thread at all. I shot RBA for several years, and I was a MD too. I enjoyed shooting 3-gun RBA a lot. I like all the organizations, IR5050, RBA, ARA. However last year I decided to shoot just one org instead of trying to shoot two of 'em and be competitive.

I DO disagree with the person who started this thread and placing all the blame for whatever was wrong with Bob Collins. A true Bob Bashing thread! Makes about as much sense in blaming him for some of the bad targets I shot last year. Bob didn't vote all those proposals in himself either. Mr. Cadillac Jack should have given Bob a call or emailed him if he wanted to voice his opinion. Bob usually answers the phone!
As Fudd said, I don't have a dog in the fight. I don't even own a dog?

PS- GAry I was kiddin' bout the snakes--I hate snakes!
Oh yeah Gary--I'll shoot sporters with you standing up in a canoe, if you got a canoe? You probably do:) We just gotta find a range with a lake or river.

Last edited:
"Did you mean to say WE may want to re-think what has been done and figure out some way to keep the members WE have"

I stand corrected, see how easy it is to make a mistake, see also how easy it is to apologize, now how do WE correct things and make sure it doesn't happen again.
S/S

Kent,
I agree, this could or maybe should have been handled privately between that person and Bob Collins, then "if" a satisfactory answer could not be had, bring it to the attention of the RBA members. I don't think Bob C. or any one person is to blame, if an un-justus was done to the general membership it was done by more than one person.
S/S

"How about Single Shot for President of RBA 2009 ?"

Not a bad idea Rod, I've been around the block more than a few times and have been involved in many different Associations in an official capacity in the past 50 + years, and all were very successful, but not a good idea either, in the condition I'm in I may not be around in 2009.
S/S

SS,
When something is put on an open forum, you know how it works, all us ne'er do well's sitting round just gotta dive in there too, whether we have a horse in the race or not. I never could quite figure out whether the complaint was "lack of communication" or disapproval of the proposals? From a shooters point of view (and I use the term shooter loosely, the way I've been shootin') all of the proposals looked good. More shooting, chance to win some bucks, sensible sporter rules too. I just don't think Bob or any of the people who voted for those proposals were trying to ruin their organization. I know most all of those guys and they're all good people. I just can't sit idly by, gotta throw my 2 cents worth in.
I apologize for talking about Wilbur in the RBA thread. Maybe I should start a Wilbur bashing thread to even it out:)

SS,
Please accept my heartfelt apologies for intruding on your thread. If it'll make you feel better, I can delete my post.

Gary

Message for All concerned

Prior to making my initial post I called Bob Collins, Left a message asking for him to call me back. To present I still have not heard from him. He is the President of RBA; an obilgation he voluntarily and willingly accepted. At the very least in his position as President he should follow the bylaws of the organization he is running. This thread was not meant to be nor has it turned into a Bob Collins bashing. Rather, I believe when taken as a whole, it has been the most widely thought provoking discussion concerning the status of RBA. On this forum everyone has an opportunity to voice his/her opinion concerning RBA and its future.

Frankly in 2007 RBA membership declined; it appears headed for more decline in 2008. A number of clubs that shot RBA in 2006 quit shooting in 2007. Now once again it appears some clubs are intending to drop RBA for 2008. My intention with this post was to stop the bleeding and hopefully reunitify RBA shooters.

I want to thank each and every person that viewed or posted on this thread. At the very least it has brought to light that RBA has some serious problems that MUST be addressed , if RBA is to grow and flourish.

I would suggest a good President MUST listen to All members,allow All members to voice their opinion, mediate dissagreements and promote and encourage new members. Further, when a problem does arise, the President has a responsibility to become involved and attempt resolution.

I would suspect this is the most viewed and lengthly discission ever concerning the RBA. Yet, our President has not joined in this discussion and advised RBA Members of his point of view or how he anticipates resolving these important issues.

Gary,
No apologies needed, and no need to delete your post. I only wanted to remind everyone that the thread was about RBA problems, not IR 50/50, in fact you didn't intrude on my thread as it's not my thread, it's cadillacjacks thread.S/S

SS,
Actually since this is a public forum, it's anyone's thread to comment on until a moderator steps in and decides otherwise.

I think the point most were making, with respect to the IR5050 comments, is that an organization needs to listen to its shooters and go with what is best for the group overall.

Gary

"our President has not joined in this discussion and advised RBA Members of his point of view or how he anticipates resolving these important issues"

cadillacjack,
"Our President" may not have replied to your call or joined in this discussion because he may not be near a phone or a computer at this time, I'm sure he will reply, he cant not reply to something like this as it's way to important. What surprises me is that the vice president or the Business Manager, or any other official has not responded. I may be wrong but It seems most of the MD that responded did so in a negative manner.
S/S

"Actually since this is a public forum, it's anyone's thread to comment on until a moderator steps in and decides otherwise"

Ok,
That's fine, I just thought that it would be best to keep the thread on topic and that comments should be about RBA as that's what the thread was all about.
S/S

As a former member and RBA Match Director I would like to add my 2 cents to this discussion. IMO, Bob Collins was doing a good job during the time we were shooting RBA a few years back.

I never had a problem making contact with Bob, and he was quite helpful in getting us up and running.

Don't remember any shooters complaining about the rules, but we were green and probably wouldn't have spotted a loophole or biased rule anyways.

Sounds like things have changed for the worse, but sure hope they get straightened out as I was hoping to go back to RBA in the near future.

Perhaps a short term limit for BOD's and Officers might help, if there are enough folks willing to do the job instead of just complaining.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back