Tuners!!!!

Tuners

Who's front rest do you all use, joystick driven or gear driven? No 1 pc rests need apply. I use a Bald Eagle.

Who's front rest do you all use, joystick driven or gear driven? No 1 pc rests need apply. I use a Bald Eagle.

Many different front rests are used. Both joy stick, gear driven, and belt driven.

Joy sticks are not as popular as the others but more and more are showing up at the matches.

The jury is still out on if there is an advantage one way or the other. The joy stick is faster but sometimes speed kills and not in a good way.

TKH

I would say IMHO it probably offers no advantage nor disadvantage to any large degree with either type as long as you properly set up and align your rest.
I have mostly shot off of, first a Farley for many years, currently a SEB.
As Harper has said, it is likely easier to go faster and perhaps get careless with one. That said, I do like the fact that in certain conditions, you can move to the sighters quickly and back should you need to and that can be quite helpful.
In that regard, the SEB gives you a very wide range, especially side to side.

I just got my Farley back

from Dave Short who rebuilt the top giving a number of improvements. It's lovely now. He does a great job.

Pete

Tuners

What is the thread size of the screw in weight on a Harrell’s tuner? What is the thread size of the screw on bloop tube of a Harrell’s tuner? Thank You for the help.

I've seen a few

Harrel tuners that have been lightened. I have a barrel that is pointing to wanting a lighter tuner. Is there an alternative solution, i.e. another tuner that is lighter than the Harrell? I've likely had one in the past and sold it. Just my nature I guess . :)

Pete

Harrel tuners that have been lightened. I have a barrel that is pointing to wanting a lighter tuner. Is there an alternative solution, i.e. another tuner that is lighter than the Harrell? I've likely had one in the past and sold it. Just my nature I guess . :)

Pete

A common belief is that you shouldn't turn the muzzle down on a rf rifle. But if say, you have a .900 straight and only need to turn it to 7/8 and thread 32 tpi, I've never seen any affect on bore size. Yes, if you wanted to turn it way down, to say 1/2-28 or similar, I can bet you the bore of a button rifled barrel grows, by about a tenth. Without getting into if that hurts accuracy or not, I've never seen or felt any indication of the bore growing if you only take off a few thou.

What I'm getting at is that there's nothing else that says a rf tuner must be clamped on. You can lose the weight of the adapter as well as that extra joint in the whole system by directly attaching the tuner to the barrel by threading it for the tuner. This method has some benefits and no down side that I've been able to measure. Again, I'm not advocating turning the end down more than a small amount. My standard tuner without the clamp adapter weighs right at 7 ounces and the new model is right at 5 ounces.
Take this for what it's worth and if not comfortable, then don't do it this way. Sometimes what we "think" matters, matters as much or more than what we "know" matters. I've done several this way and they all shoot great.
This isn't the end all, be all video but it's a good video/article on the subject
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2021/07/barrel-end-threading-bigger-diameter-is-better/

And what, pray tell, does a nice video about 30 cal barrels relate to 22RFBR barrels if I might inquire ?
Out of curiosity, what potential benefit might threading yield?

Last edited:
And what, pray tell, does a nice video about 30 cal barrels relate to 22RFBR barrels if I might inquire ?

If you have to ask, you probably wouldn't understand. And if you read a little further and/or better, you'll see that I said, if you're not comfortable, then don't do it and that the video is not the end all, be all on the subject. It never fails that you know more than me about everything. So why don't you tell us the answers Tim? Pray tell...how much does your bore grow and at what sizes and bore diameters, how many have you checked or done, button or cut, how'd they shoot? You know, things that I've done and posted results of in my post...with plenty of disclaimers for the doubters. Don't take my advice and just move along. No harm, no foul, right. There's no point in me trying explain anything to you. You always disagree. If I said the sky is blue, you'd say its something else. My post left a lot of room for you to just skim right on by it without commenting, but you apparently want to argue..again. It's a waste of my time and I have better things to do. Bye Tim!

I once had

a Rimrock with a Kostyshin 1-17 twist barrel on it in a 30 BR. That barrel was real big on the chamber end but had a fairly tight choke for the last two inches at the muzzle. That barrel was one of the 4 or 5 hummers I've had the good fortune to own.

I personally think barrels are barrels. Rimfire barrels are in the same category as all the others. They all shoot in varying degrees of accuracy. I have no doubt that some people can identify good and better ones before they are chambered, probably more so Rimfire barrel fitters. I have never used a CF barrel fitter who checked any of the barrels I sent them in that respect. The good thing about CF barrels is most of them can be made to shoot. A few never shoot competitively and a very few will shoot whatever one throws in them. Most of them require careful care and feeding.

Pete

a Rimrock with a Kostyshin 1-17 twist barrel on it in a 30 BR. That barrel was real big on the chamber end but had a fairly tight choke for the last two inches at the muzzle. That barrel was one of the 4 or 5 hummers I've had the good fortune to own.

I personally think barrels are barrels. Rimfire barrels are in the same category as all the others. They all shoot in varying degrees of accuracy. I have no doubt that some people can identify good and better ones before they are chambered, probably more so Rimfire barrel fitters. I have never used a CF barrel fitter who checked any of the barrels I sent them in that respect. The good thing about CF barrels is most of them can be made to shoot. A few never shoot competitively and a very few will shoot whatever one throws in them. Most of them require careful care and feeding.

Pete

Craig K certainly made some really good barrels. Do you know who wound up with his equipment?

and what, pray tell, does a nice video about 30 cal barrels relate to 22rfbr barrels if i might inquire ?
has anyone proved that rimfire barrels flex with small amt. Of powder shot thru. Them.

Dan Muller bought it on The Court House Steps pennies on a $!

Thanks Slick! I seem to remember hearing that, now that you mention it. It seems that equipment is still making good barrels, then. I think the men behind the machinery are the most important part of barrel making but it's good to know they both made good stuff with that equipment.

Its interesting

If you have to ask, you probably wouldn't understand. And if you read a little further and/or better, you'll see that I said, if you're not comfortable, then don't do it and that the video is not the end all, be all on the subject. It never fails that you know more than me about everything. So why don't you tell us the answers Tim? Pray tell...how much does your bore grow and at what sizes and bore diameters, how many have you checked or done, button or cut, how'd they shoot? You know, things that I've done and posted results of in my post...with plenty of disclaimers for the doubters. Don't take my advice and just move along. No harm, no foul, right. There's no point in me trying explain anything to you. You always disagree. If I said the sky is blue, you'd say its something else. My post left a lot of room for you to just skim right on by it without commenting, but you apparently want to argue..again. It's a waste of my time and I have better things to do. Bye Tim!

how some people seem to think Rimfire barrels are unique. Rifle barrels are rifle barrels. Designs differ but they are all made the same way on the same machinery.

Pete

how some people seem to think Rimfire barrels are unique. Rifle barrels are rifle barrels. Designs differ but they are all made the same way on the same machinery.

Pete

Yes Pete, and if you had a clue you’d realize it is after they leave the machinery that separates the OK ones from the consistent match winners or better.

State of the art, RF rifle thread, found below, post #9, paragraph 6

Last edited:
Back