Tuners Suck

Benchrester

Howdy Benchrester!
Not tuner related (yet), but do you have any knowledge of the Brno #3S (Stecher) target rifle? They had double set triggers that were adjustable to a very low trigger pull weight. They were supposed to have been used by the Czech 1956 Olympic team. They were also supposed to have been very difficult to outshoot in the 1950's.

It is one thing to get information here in the States, it would seem that information from you could be very helpful if you have better, more helpful resources.

Thank you!
Greg

Squatty,

I've been watcching this thread waiting for your reply, and it's exactly as expected.

There's a law called the "law of diminishing returns". Generally used in economics but has application here too.

For instance, I need a paperweight. Half pound of lead will do, so there's no further return if I use 40 pounds of lead. I just have to lift more lead.

The affect on vertical seems to maximize at around eight ounces. Calfee set it years ago. Some people use more weight and it might be beneficial in some places, but probably after ten ounces you have virtually no return. Four ounces will help some, but two ounces is going to be barely noticable.

Just try what I said, you'll find it to be true.

I think what many people in this country have tried with very heavy tuner weight is that they do not, in fact, "tune" the barrel but overwhelm the barrel vibration with excess weight. I believe they realize that over time that process results in a gun that will shoot well sometimes but often not. Might I ask, in your country, what equipment do you have available for bench shooting? Are there some enthusiasts?

There are many enthusiasts. It's really the only way to own a gun, but those restrictions have been eased over the last few years. The equipment is similar to your own. I use a Ferarri front rest and yes it's made by the car company. Most European equipment is easy to come by. Eley really is not, but Russian or Chinese ammo is unavailable, so there are ammo shortages. You must pick and choose when you shoot. I spend much time in the United States now as I do have roots here or I have roots in the Ukraine depending on how you see it. The easy access to guns in general is not there, but to sporting rifles, I would say it is comeparable except there are no custom gunsmiths. At least not in name.

To answer 404, I have seen many BRNO 3S, but never one with double set triggers although I do not doubt they existed. They may have been hard to beat back then, but probably not now.

Re Last

Sorry Benchrest but you are talking rubbish that your Benchrest is made by the car company Ferrari, it's actually made by a little old Italian man and for those that want to check out the Ferrari rest here is a link: http://www.ferrariotello.com/ I am sure all would agree if it was the car manfacturer it would much better website, and the other question is why would the car maker want to make benchrest!!

Go figure!

AndyD

Well Andy,

From what little I could see from the home page photo, the rest was made with skill and pride by someone who cared. I am sure you are right about it not being part of the car company's product line.

Benchrester, I am glad to see your views on this forum. While there is a bit of bull tossed here from time to time, some of the world's best benchrest shooters post here. A wise man can learn from some of these posts.

Concho Bill

Sorry Benchrest but you are talking rubbish that your Benchrest is made by the car company Ferrari, it's actually made by a little old Italian man and for those that want to check out the Ferrari rest here is a link: http://www.ferrariotello.com/ I am sure all would agree if it was the car manfacturer it would much better website, and the other question is why would the car maker want to make benchrest!!

Go figure!

AndyD

Well, like I said, I'm new to benchrest. i was just going by what I was told. I thought maybe Italian companies were like Japanese companies. Make everything

I'm sorry, there is a reason that equipment lists are not made. Matt may be able to advertise, but I am not.

Go figure!

AndyD

I so love the English.

nice looking rests, well made. some possible ferrari colors. fast steering.

I understood your question and did my best to answer it without going into detail. It was a simple answer.

Tuners suck. I know this will not be greeted with overwhelming joy, but I know tuners can suck if you have the type of personality that wants to fiddle around with the darn things. Don't really have a good fundamental of how to get the best use out of a tuner. Don't understand what a tuner is capable of doing for your rifle.

For every shooter that asks a turner maker how to adjust his tuner, I'll bet a hundred more don't ask.:D

Benchrester

What kind of tuner do you use or have you tried? Have you shot a score target to find out what kind of scores your rifle is shooting?

after testing and studying all that was posted on this forum for the past 2 years,I figured anywhere from 60-70% of all benchrest rifles were not tuned properly. I now think that figure is low.

Back