Tuners Suck

James,
Craig keeps that Duke gun locked up and just brings it out on special occasions. I think he's saving it, and I don't blame him, it's a good one!

Martin: The Von Ahrens and Harrells tuners are the same principal and tune exactly the same way. One might be easier to get into tune than the other but the rifle won't know the difference once tuned. Prove it to yourself. I did. The RVA is easier to clean (and tune) tho in my opinion. Its a bloop tube thing. Once tuned who cares...... bob finger

do you know how much the harrell tuner w/o any weight
or cap weighs? how about the von aherns w/o anything?
it doesn't say in killough's ad. i thought the harrell's run
8 or 9 ozs bare, and the von aherns about 4 ozs. and if anyone
knows i have one of the old hoehn-harrell tuners that came
on my suhl did that weigh 9oz plus 3oz permanent cap. thanks.

Tom: Thats close. I can't find my notes right now and both rifles are tuned and ready for the weekend so I don't want to remove anything to weigh them again. You are within 1/2 ounce on both of them I suspect.

Every tuner is going to be a bit different too depending on how big the bore hole for the barrel is. bob finger

Tom

I have both style tuners on my guns. The harrel that I have weights in at 8.8 oz bare with no extra weight. The Von Ahrens that I have weights in at 3.8 oz bare with out the bloob or 1/2oz cap.

Beau and james, tuning with 3 speeds as I have been doing the only advice I have received is maybe 2 extreme velocitys would do the same and a chronograph would be helpful. other than that not 1 from a educational backround has said wait a minute. only those involved emotionally. if setting a tuner untill the rounds drop and open into flyers and backing form there and selelecting the least vertical is wrong please tell me. you can't. all you can do is name calling. because something has been wrong and shooters have found a way to make it work for 20 years doesn't make it sound judgement and a reason for it to continue to do it that way for 20 more years. when I went to the firing line this year, looked at every rifle saw bloop tubes, barrel dampners and tire weights as tuning weights it was pretty obvious what rifles are tuned. James you may sell a product and Calfee may sell a product but the only product out there capable of tuning a rifle without modifications is the Von-Ahrens tuner and weight set. you guys might not like that answer but that's the way it is. if not prove me wrong with logic not emotions. all your supposed knowledge on tuning I've been waiting for someone to discuss extending the collar on the tuners but not one of you experts has asked what that would do. because you flat out don't understand what a fired barrel really does. someone made you guys a rifle and said go shoot it. and that's about the extent of it.

And you decided that someone put you on earth to tune rifles, yet you never say how. I don't beleive you can tune any better than anyone else or that you know anymore than anyone else. Tuners will not do what any of you think.

benchrester i read your post about the pappas tuner, were you
saying you thought moving the slide to cover or uncover ports
seemed to have more effect than where the weight was actually
placed?

benchrester i read your post about the pappas tuner, were you
saying you thought moving the slide to cover or uncover ports
seemed to have more effect than where the weight was actually
placed?

That has been my experience, yes. I believe, although I have not tried this, if the Papps bloop tube was made slightly smaller in diameter it would have an even greater effect. I have no way to prove that and I do not endorse making it the size of a typical bloop tube. Just slightly smaller. But it works the way it is, just a little too long. But cutting is not a probelm.

Benchrester...who are you ..really ?????

Why did you come on this forum ??? Just to blow smoke outta your hind parts ??? Your grasp of the English language is too good to be a former Rusky

My observation

First as an outsider reading all of this it appears not to add up for instance reading what benchrester claims that slapping ONLY 8 ounces of weight is all one needs but yet he is using a harell tuner and a papas slider that has been cut down and using the collar. if you add that weight my guess his tuner would weigh in around 11-13 ounces he actually has more weight than what he claims and more weight forward of crown not even going to guess where his tuner is set and states he see's a visible difference. :confused:

Second martin hammond claims that more than 60-70% of the rifles are not tuned especially the calfee rifles and states that number could be a lot higher. I believe i have a understanding of what he is doing but don't understand why he is so persistent to state that the top shooters really don't understand how to tune a rifle and his way is the only way but for myself this back and forth stuff is getting old. I assume he is trying to help with what he has found to be true. What i would like to see is for martin to sit down with a top shooter use his tuning technique on their rifle and see if his findings make that drastic difference in competition. Indoors would be the best test though there still are variables but not like it would outdoors and we just might see more 250's with 25x's

Later

Martin Hammond

To think that people are winning with untuned rifles is in my way of
thinking a contradiction. Sitting on the line with a tuned rifle is by no means a guarentee, but in the long run, tuned rifles will win more often in the hands
of those capable. That they are not tuned in your way of thinking does not
mean they are not tuned. They must be on some plane

Why did you come on this forum ??? Just to blow smoke outta your hind parts ??? Your grasp of the English language is too good to be a former Rusky

You need to do more research. Education is where one generally learns to write a language. My grasp of certain Chinese dialects is equally as good, but that does not make me Chinese.

To each his own. I dont believe tuners are legislated, yet. (Keep Pelosi away next week.)

If the gentleman dont want to buy/use one-fine.

Glynn

It is not uncommon for Europeans to be fluent in 5 or 6 languages.

What drives me batty is my inability to understand the accent of someone in India trying to talk me through a computer problem!:eek:

Even more annoying is the realization that, technically speaking, they have a better use of English than I do! :eek: Grammer and all that stuff I should have paid more attention to in school.

I'm just trying to picture the look on their face as they explain "the Kentucky accent" to their co-workers!:D

Take care,
Greg

Tuners will be here a long time

Why not give these guys a wide berth. They will either add to their
credibility or get burried in it

Call it science or call it superstition or something in between, I really don't care, but my gun shoots better with my tuner on it and set.

So there.

Concho Bill

It is not uncommon for Europeans to be fluent in 5 or 6 languages.

What drives me batty is my inability to understand the accent of someone in India trying to talk me through a computer problem!:eek:

Even more annoying is the realization that, technically speaking, they have a better use of English than I do! :eek: Grammer and all that stuff I should have paid more attention to in school.

I'm just trying to picture the look on their face as they explain "the Kentucky accent" to their co-workers!:D

Take care,
Greg

I keep thinking the next time I have a puter problem, I'm going to call that Bobby Gindel fellow, I can understand him on the TV.

after testing and studying all that was posted on this forum for the past 2 years,I figured anywhere from 60-70% of all benchrest rifles were not tuned properly. I now think that figure is low.

So you're assuming lots of the top shooters actually post here ?

You need to do more research. Education is where one generally learns to write a language. My grasp of certain Chinese dialects is equally as good, but that does not make me Chinese.

Kudo's my friend, not only a command of a different language but a fair grasp of the art of the "snappy retort". Keep up the good work.

Back