Is benchrest dying?

With a one year waiting list to get a rifle built I don't think there is any lack of demand for the sport.

Dwight,..I think any one year wait is created by the lack of barrels and other components..and keep in mind the rifles being made by gunsmiths are a variety of hunting, long range, rimfire and othe disciplines as well as repairs in their shop...IMO

Eddie in Texas

The answer to waiting for arifle to be built is to pick up a used one. TThere are plenty of really decent rifles for sale , right here from time to time.
They are a lot easier to retrofit.

Being in br shooting for my whole life, i have my own opinion of the current downturn in short range br shooting. For 20 years plus we have seen the family atmosphere at the big shoots disappear. The nationals used to have many families with children at the event. Now kids stay home and shoot on computer. The family life in america has changed. Also the cost to take kids to shoots today with added costs of components leaves some shooters to leave family at home so they can afford to go themselves. This takes the kids from getting involved. With families not able to afford to go to shoots many shooters must chose time with family or shooting. Happy marriage means choosing family in most cases

One other reason is the commitment one must make if you want to win. When my father won unlimited nationals in 1971. He practiced once before leaving and shot 2 or 3 groups before the match started. How much do you think top shooters practice today? A new shooter coming into game also sees the amount and expense of top shooters spend and time required to win and is overwhelmed and turned off by this and goes to other types of shooting. You have to admit br is very annal and requires alot of commitment. This why i no longer shoot. I just do not want to commit so much time and cost of family time. I still attend matches all over world for business and i find it less stressful but enjoy the people. I personally would rather run a match than shoot one. Sorry Super Shoot is enough now with our business growing unfortunately not in short range br which now is less than 10% of our business.

BR shooting short range has gone thru this before and came back stronger than before and i hope same happens again. Someone posted that BR shooting is growing in other countries, i do not agree. In most countries Kelbly's has business, long range has taken over and short range is on decline. Some countries that are new to BR shooting, it is growing but many of the established countries it is holding level to declining. The WBSF has 27 or more countries affliated with it. And i would guess less than 20 will be in Australia

The best we can do to help BR shooting is get new people involved, which for many BR shooters is hard to do as this sport is a singular sport as far as how we train and compete

Got to go cheryl and i are on business and holiday in Italy driving with friend from venice to rome, first time i have missed the 4th of July. Enjoy your freedom today and everyday it is looking like freedoms are becoming a thing of past and people today are just a flock of sheep herded by our government

Jim

Is Benchrest dying? Only if you think it is. I got into competitive Benchrest upon retiring. Raising a family and pursuing a career was first priority. This is not an inexpensive sport if you intend to pursue it at its highest levels. You can spend thousands of dollars on competitive rifles and scopes and that does not include all the other peripheral items needed.

In my humble opinion, one of the things that has slowed down shooting amongst current shooters and any new ones coming into the sport is an insufficient supply of reloading components. Do I blame that on the government? Hell no. I blame that on the paranoids that see a boogeyman around every corner and that includes my brother if the truth be told. I could kick him in the head. He used to have a brain.

The manufacturers are working around the clock and the firearms industry is the fastest growing area in this economy. Things will improve as soon as the snowball of hoarding, driven by fear, slows down and hopefully peters out. It may take a couple years but things will improve.

The World economy has changed which has also changed our economy along with the many consequences that accompany it. Things will get better. Hang in there. :)

Have components, but am tired.

The last two posts are very thoughtful and I'm sure are correct. I have plenty of components, more through luck that foresight. I have no kids and an understanding wife who comes to some shoots with me. I work a difficult job full time and have a long commute. I do not have it to drive more than 90 minutes to compete. I could shoot in a two day this weekend at my "home" range but I am worn out. I'm taking most of the month off from shooting to rest. I have some vacation days for short sightseeing trips with the wife. Wish I could retire or semi-retire but that's not in the cards for a few years. Like many seniors, the finances need to accumulate a while longer.

I think if more of us had good practice facilities close to home, we'd shoot more. Building a range in Vermont is problematic, even on your own land for private use. A neighbor with a good attorney can make it very expensive or impossible. I'd like to buy an isolated ravine somewhere for cheap with 100 yard sight distance, but then you have to worry about keeping the riff-raff out and liability issues.

Health enters into it too. As I have posted, I just had double hip replacements and even at 62 years young, that will slow you down. I also just had my hearing tested and find I need hearing aids in both ears just to hear normal conversation. How much longer do I want to shoot knowing that I'm going deaf? Fortunately, insurance pays for all this and custom molded ear plugs too.

In Georgia, I had my own testing range with a "muffler" that I shot through. It was a blue plastic 55 gallon drum with holes in each end and packed with fiberglass insulation held in place by wire mesh. It kept the sound down pretty good but magnum rounds would compress the insulation somewhat. Maybe that is what we bench shooters are coming to if we want to not get sued out of existence.

If certain people in politics continue on there agenda the only Benchrest shooting will be with an air rifle.
I agree with James Kelblys statements as to where when and why, it's pretty much on the button.
Take this into note, what would keep shooters in the game? That is beside $$$$ theirs no way to work up gradually you have to shoot at the top just to start.
They need Classifications IE marksmen sharpshooter expert Master a little recognition for each person in each class keeps them in the Game.

Right on

Is Benchrest dying? Only if you think it is. I got into competitive Benchrest upon retiring. Raising a family and pursuing a career was first priority. This is not an inexpensive sport if you intend to pursue it at its highest levels. You can spend thousands of dollars on competitive rifles and scopes and that does not include all the other peripheral items needed.

In my humble opinion, one of the things that has slowed down shooting amongst current shooters and any new ones coming into the sport is an insufficient supply of reloading components. Do I blame that on the government? Hell no. I blame that on the paranoids that see a boogeyman around every corner and that includes my brother if the truth be told. I could kick him in the head. He used to have a brain.

The manufacturers are working around the clock and the firearms industry is the fastest growing area in this economy. Things will improve as soon as the snowball of hoarding, driven by fear, slows down and hopefully peters out. It may take a couple years but things will improve.

The World economy has changed which has also changed our economy along with the many consequences that accompany it. Things will get better. Hang in there. :)

Well said Jerry, I agree.

Gene Beggs

As a fairly new BR shooter

I’ll share my observations and thoughts. I’m sure some won’t agree with what’s posted here but this is what a new guy sees. Remember, they’re worth exactly what you paid for them…

This is either my 3rd or 4th year of going to registered matches for short range BR. I shot at our local club with some of the guys around here for a year before that.

First, Benchrest is hard. There are so many variables that can cause big groups on the target. From having a bad front rest/rear bag setup to not having the gun in tune, bad bench techniques, starting at the wrong time, or a gun that simply isn’t competitive… all of these things individually cause bad groups. Which leads to…

Benchrest has an enormous learning curve. There’s tuning the gun, differing theories involving neck tension, bullet seating depth, different powders, barrel makers, barrel twist rates, etc. Learning and getting to the point where a new person understands these things takes lots of time and dedication. Unfortunately, today we live in a society of instant gratification. We can pick up our phones and within seconds can check the weather forecast, send a text or email, or see what the latest is with the Paula Dean ordeal. Nothing about BR is instant.

Benchrest is time consuming. Packing up all of your stuff needed to load at the range, getting to the range, setting up loading stuff, setting up flags and rests/bags, and loading for the first target takes time. If I’m shooting at a place other than my home range, I need to be there an hour and a half before commence fire to get everything done. Then there’s the match which can run several hours depending on how many aggs are shot. Then, it’s either take everything down and go home or practice for the next day’s yardage once the frames and flags are moved. As all of you guys know, Saturday will be a full 8-10 hour day at most matches, Sunday slightly less. Some of the other disciplines can take as much time at the higher levels of competition, but most take a half day and you’re done.

Benchrest requires lots of equipment. This is probably true for most other rifle shooting competitions as well. So, I don’t think this is exclusive to short range BR. I don’t think BR costs as much as many other activities considering the elite level of competition. As Ronnie Cheek has said before, “you think BR is expensive?? It’s still cheaper than having a $50,000 bass boat in the driveway.”

Benchrest isn’t a spectator sport. There really isn’t much to see and do if you aren’t competing. I’m speaking of how a non-BR person would see it if they came to a match. No reactive targets, head to head matchups, etc as in other disciplines.

As far as the idea that the weak economy or lack of components are the main reasons why the competitive BR numbers are down, I haven’t seen this to be true. F-Class for example, has exploded in the last 5 years or so, as well as 3-gun and tactical/long range matches, IDPA and IPSC (practical pistols comps). Sure, the lack of components make thing challenging for those who compete, but if there were no component shortage at all I think the BR match attendance numbers would be very close to where they are now. And, personally, I’m not a fan of creating different classes for shooters.

I’ve started taking a cheap video camera with me to matches primarily to help me find what I’m doing wrong but also to see what the successful guys are doing right. I’ve posted some of these videos on YouTube for a variety of reasons. Eventually, I’d like to make some videos that will help demystify some of the ‘beginner’ mistakes to help shorten the learning curve for new people coming in. I think that if we could shorten the learning curve and get someone competitive more quickly, they’re much more likely to stay in the game and compete over the long haul.

So, what’s the answer? I don’t know. We need new blood, that’s for sure.

Those are great points you have made about short range BR,..BUT what about the guys that already have all of the equipment and just don't want to shoot anymore..I am not talking about fellows that health and age has stopped them...I am talking about shooters that have been in the game for 15-20 years and mostly shoot local and unregistered matches...just don't find it interesting enough to come to a match...our club has had a steady decline as shooters that are drifting over into other shooting sports or other hobbies..soo much so that we can't get 5 shooters to attend a scheduled match (registered or NOT)...recently our range was shut down for a major upgrade that has taken nearly a year and no completion is in sight...the closest city with a viable population and great gun range is Midland Texas...the local NBRSA director there says they can't get shooters to participate in matches on a monthly basis..and would not try to schedule a VFS score match due to lack of interest or resistance to score shooting..:confused:
Midland/Odessa Texas has some of the top name gunsmiths and shooters located there, but interest in BR is limited to a couple of shoots a year...
It is hard for me to comprehend how the very town where great gunsmiths live and work can't draw new shooters on a regular basis...

Eddie in Texas

Eddie, I was told last weekend that the Midland club has somewhere around 4000 members. With a membership with that many numbers any time they host a match it shuts down that part of the range for the membership of the range that isn't competing. Besides the fact that it takes a lot of time for someone like Mike Conry or others to put on a match, arrange for target crews and arrange to feed the shooters, the amount of time that they can shut down a range from other use by their membership is limited. I know that Tomball ran into the same problem in that the governing bodies of the ranges can't shut the range down to hold matches for basically a few of their membership at least very often or their non competing membership starts complaining. The best type of range is a range like St. Louis that was set up for benchrest shooters by benchrest shooters. That kind of range is few and far between. It takes several people with a strong desire to put on matches, to have matches at any level. It can be a thankless job. If there is any sport that is done for the love of the game, it's benchrest. We compete because we love it and for most of us, it's not shooting small groups that drives us, it's the competition with our friends and peers. FWIW, when we moved the Nationals from the last week of July to September or October, we lost our junior shooters at the Nationals as they can't compete in the fall because of school. I don't think I've seen a junior shooter award given out at the NBRSA nationals since Levi Cordes won it a few years ago and missed school to do it.

Yes, I know Mike...if you look back at the Precision Shooting Magazine from the early 1980s you will see that I scheduled planed and ran the matches at the San Angelo Gun Club...including a Texas State Championship at the old John I. Moore range..I have been organizer, planer, target crew and last man at the range for many years...just because I love to shoot score BR..our gun range has 2,250 members and most are pistol or tactical weapons type shooters along with rimfire..we have a large complex with multiple bays for pistol rifle and shotgun..It isn't that hard and is very gratifying if a large group of shooters attend...
Midland doesn't hold matches because of lack of participation just like us...it isn't because of the logistics problems...I have written my own scoring software (Xcel file) and can input scores between relays print out the results hand out awards and have the electronic file posted on BR Central in the same day...I have done so...just can't get shooters to come to this part of the country...I think that Midland has the same problem... we have an abundance of private ranges for long range and tactical shooters that don't want to deal with novices at the local club...I know these people and shooting steel or clays at long range is more exciting to them and on private property they can control the environment and who attends..not to mention that lots of hunting in this area as well as shotgun clubs that hold trap skeet and sporting clays events...It seems like benchrest appeals more to the technical type shooter with money to spend from a large populated area...the country boys with a large farm/ranch (belonging to friend or family) is rarely the ones that attend matches here in our area...

Eddie in Texas

I was disappointed with the turnout at the Midland match this past weekend. It was really the best conditions I've seen at Midland except for when the front and the resulting dust storm blew in from the North. Everybody thinks of Midland in the end of June and first of July as being 100 degree plus temperatures. While it may get there later in the afternoon, we're usually through shooting before it's been there too long. I've shot in other parts of the countr with the same heat and four times as much humidity or more where it's a lot more uncomfortable shooting. I never shot San Angelo as I either wasn't traveling very far then to shoot or it had quit holding matches before I started. For the longest time, Luther was about all I shot as it was my closest range until Seymour started holding matches. I did shoot the LV and HV at the '83 Nationals in Midland. That was my first Nationals. I was shooting a .22 PPC, so couldn't shoot the SP class. Shooting Midland will teach you how to shoot mirage. When we were building our house, I quit shooting much at all. Once you drop out of the habit it's really easy not to pick it back up. I figure that's what happens to a lot of people. The jacket, primer and powder shortages don't help anything either.

"Is Benchrest dying?"

Well...I sure hope not. Over the last two years,I convinced a young man,with a growing family to buy a brand new Benchrest rifle. He was so impressed with that rifle,he bought an additional rifle(Brand new). Add the additional cost of the accessories needed to get started. The Sport is expensive. I'm happy he got all set up before this thread was started. Benchrest is not dying. It needs to be on surer footing. Some serious thought needs to be given to how to increase membership. Bring a new guy with you the next time you go to a Benchrest Match

Its estimated that Golf is losing about a million players a year, here in the US alone. That's a big number. I doubt the sport will die, in the next Millennia, due to history, popularity and Politicians.

Glenn

Eddie, I was told last weekend that the Midland club has somewhere around 4000 members. With a membership with that many numbers any time they host a match it shuts down that part of the range for the membership of the range that isn't competing. Besides the fact that it takes a lot of time for someone like Mike Conry or others to put on a match, arrange for target crews and arrange to feed the shooters, the amount of time that they can shut down a range from other use by their membership is limited. I know that Tomball ran into the same problem in that the governing bodies of the ranges can't shut the range down to hold matches for basically a few of their membership at least very often or their non competing membership starts complaining. The best type of range is a range like St. Louis that was set up for benchrest shooters by benchrest shooters. That kind of range is few and far between. It takes several people with a strong desire to put on matches, to have matches at any level. It can be a thankless job. If there is any sport that is done for the love of the game, it's benchrest. We compete because we love it and for most of us, it's not shooting small groups that drives us, it's the competition with our friends and peers. FWIW, when we moved the Nationals from the last week of July to September or October, we lost our junior shooters at the Nationals as they can't compete in the fall because of school. I don't think I've seen a junior shooter award given out at the NBRSA nationals since Levi Cordes won it a few years ago and missed school to do it.

Mike, St. Louis was started by b.r. shooters before, we have in the area of 1200 members. their isn't more than 20 maybe 25 including hunter and vfs that shoot b.r. anymore. I have been a member since 1996 and can't remember all that have quit the club or quit b.r. all together. I won't go into reasons on the board but it is sad and a real problem.....george

Last edited:
Mike, St. Louis was started by b.r. shooters before, we have in the area of 1200 members. their isn't more than 20 maybe 25 including hunter and vfs that shoot b.r. anymore. I have been a member since 1996 and can't remember all that have quit the club or quit b.r. all together. I won't go into reasons on the board but it is sad and a real problem.....george

That happens a lot. Clubs get started to shoot benchrest and then the membership changes and they want to use the range for other purposes. What's the answer, I don't know. I was 27 when I shot my first match. It's tougher now for young people to shoot than it was then. There seems to be so much to draw their attentions elsewhere. I let a ski boat rot down from nonuse after I started shooting benchrest. Probably took it to the lake once or maybe twice after getting involved in benchrest. People choose what they want to do. You just can't do it all.

Other sports have evolved or died

When you think about it, it is remarkable that short range bench rest has slowly spread and evolved over so many years and is still relatively healthy. Other sports have taken hold nationally and died out quickly. Frisbee golf was a rage that has waned considerably. Field archery and the old NFAA was hugely popular in the sixties and then compound bows changed everything. Then we went to 3-D matches with mostly hunting type equipment. That was a rage for a while but is now much less popular, at least in Vermont. Seen any slot car emporiums lately? People get excited about something for awhile and then realize they are bored with it or it is too expensive in time or money. We are lucky that our shooters are more consistent than that.

I'd like to add that at our IBS matches in Maine, we have a Factory class which has recruited a few benchrest competitors over the years. But most will come to a match or two - do poorly against "full race rigs" - and never come back. So although having this class seems like a great idea it just might be counter-productive to its intent (recruiting new BR shooters). ... There are 3 general classes, basically a scoped "huntin' gun," a varmint rifle, and an unlimited class. While we've been running these matches for about 15 yrs, you can count the number of people on one hand - not using all fingers(!) who have made the transition to full blown BR. Zdog (that's Zee-dog, Chris Mitchell)

This statement just blows my mind, because at our local club match factory class is where everyone got there start that is shooting with us today, and many names you see on the NBRSA eastern region leaderboards started at this match shooting factory class. When Fred Sinclair started our club match way back, it was designed with three class's, and the classes competed on there own level. (Meaning a factory gun will compete with a factory gun and never with an open or mod gun.) Factory gun which is a gun that was mass produced by a company, the rules have no limit of scope magnification, or caliber, (As long as it is a factory chambering, under 30 cal.) for the most part the gun must use factory parts, such as barrel, action, trigger. There is provisions for bedding, and trigger work. The stock can be replaced as long as it is a factory style. (No flat forearms.)

The next class is modified, which is a factory action, and the barrel can be changed out and chamber is what ever caliber the shooter choses, as long as it is under 30 cal. After market triggers are welcomed. No limitation on scope. The stock can be replaced, as long as it doesn't have a flat forearm. Back in the late 1990 early 2000 this was the biggest class. The third class is open, and this follow the NBRSA/IBS guidelines of a heavy varmint gun. This is the biggest class to date, as we all progressed on and wanted better. A few of use still bring out factory guns just for entertainment, or bragging rights, some will even shoot two classes such as factory gun, and open. We also have a pay out, so it is a chance to rake in a few more bucks.

With us we every once in a great while attract a new shooter and we usually keep them, and they will usually progress up and buy an open gun. Our main problem is finding people to show up, to get started. Most are squeamish about competition, and are afraid they will look bad, or mess up on the rules, or some other phobia. If we can get them to muster up the courage to bring a gun, and to shoot a match, we usually keep them coming.

Just quickly glancing through the latest NBRSA News it looks like most match reports are for VFS and the IBS has a growing group of score shoots here in the SE.

Back