Future of group shooting

I will weigh in here, from the perspective of a newbie, who, after some exposure to BR, is not inclined to join the benchrest competition community. It is my hope this post explains why.

1) No Novice Class: Could be competing against the best first time out.

2) No Factory Class: Gun sales are through the roof, AR15s are the rage, and yet there is nothing in benchrest to accommodate these rifles. Why not an AR15 class for novice shooters? Or a bench class with similar rules to F/TR? Benchrest is all about accuracy, but it can be all about that for specific classes. I personally would derive as much enjoyment winning a match with a .2 group at 100 yards with an AR as I would a .05” group at 100 with a dedicated 6PPC benchrest gun. Not all of us who want to shoot small groups wish to join the F1 world of accuracy. Some of us are happy with the equivalent of racing a Mazda Miata in an amateur club race.

3) Competition Knowledge: Benchrest organization (NBRSA) is terrible for new shooters. Check out www.nbrsa.org and witness perhaps the most unfriendly, horrible website in existence. Even the rule book is hard to understand.

4) Ranges: The nearest BR range for me is 100 miles away. The websites are terrible. I asked one range if they did F-Class, and the response was they did, and it pretty much would be called NRA HighPower, Prone, or "something like that". I called my local range and asked about matches there, and was told they hold no sanctioned matches, and these guys were serious and winds tricky. Thanks for the encouragement.

5) Technical Knowledge & Learning. Forums are helpful, but are obviously geared to experts, and while that is understandable, it intimidates newbies even when people try to help answering novice questions. This happens because the responses are often just too high level, using terminology that often is alien to the original poster. Many, including myself, are reluctant to expose our ignorance further by asking for a simpler answer.

6) Mentoring: This is also a sport that really needs a mentor, on obtaining a right rifle, how a match works, reloading, shooting skills, strategy, and more. Especially if there is no novice or factory class (in addition to existing classes).

7) Benchrest Discipline: Some think shooting for groups, regardless of where they hit the target is odd. To many, the object is to hit what you aim at, the X. Score shooting is likely to be more popular and would encourage me to participate, especially if each shot is marked (F-Class).

Overall, benchrest, through a variety of factors, has built a wall around itself, keeping new members away. Other forum members have contacted me via private messages to express their frustration, the intimidation, and reluctance to get involved. One member here has been very helpful to me, by personally inviting me to matches, but other parts of the daunting wall remain (reloading) and are far too high for me to even consider competing at this stage.

Personally, as a step into precision shooting, I would like to try to compete shooting off a bench, using my AR15 and perhaps a basic stock rifle, such as a Savage Long Range Precision Varminter, for score. But, I do not see any place in BR for this.

The one thing that is surely not lacking is the willingness and friendliness of people in the BR community. For that, I am most appreciative.

Just my $0.02.

- Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
18 at SER CHAMPIONSHIP

scheduling had a lot to do with low attendance at this match. (1) it was held on a national holiday!!! lot of people were on vacations. (2) it was also on the opening day of dove season, and that is a big deal in this part of the country to a lot of people!!! also this recession, which is being fueled by the idiot president of ours_ LONG LEGGED MAC DADDY OBAMA_ WHO WANTS TO TAKE ALL OF OUR GUNS AWAY did not help. this is an exspensive sport. we do need to introduce as many new young shooters into the game as we can. young and old. just my thoughts!

Just IMO

JD, I think much of this is cyclic. People come and people go. I have been involved in one shooting sport or another for about 50 years. It just seems that something starts, builds up, dies down and so on.

Some few shooters, as in many sports, get really committed and intense and they stay with it. Those are the folks that hold that sport together over the long haul.

In general and particularly in the SE right now we are in a down cycle. I just looked at a 2001 match report for Unaka where there were 53 shooters, this Spring there were barely 30.

The solution??????????????????

Mike

At our Club Matches at Tomball, we have exactly what you are talking about. There is a true Factory Class, where you can do nothing to the Rifle aside from bedding it and adjusting the trigger. We have a Modified Class that is supposed to represent a shooter taking a Factory Action, and doing what so many do, turning it into a true Custom, capable of accuracy darned near at the Benchrest Level. Then we have a Benchrest Class, which, for all purposes, has no restrictions. If you can get it on the bench, you can shoot it.

Surprisingly, the lowest attendance is in the Modified Class. I don't know why. The Factory Class has three times as many show up. The Benchrest Class is by far the biggest.

All are very competitive, shooters tend to want to win, (or shoot their best), no matter whether a match is sanctioned, or not. We even have some personal rivalries developing. It ain't the Super Shoot, but don't tell these Guys.

I still maintain that Club Match Programs, such as what we have at Tomball, is the breeding ground for those that are interested in Extreme Accuracy Shooting. Shooters can come out, give it a try, and see if the bug bites BEFORE they spend the Kid's college money on that new Rifle........jackie

Those figures stun and amaze me. Are you saying that only 18 SER members shot a match in the SER or at the regional championship? I can name 18 SER members without even thinking and I'm amazed that they didn't shoot in the SER this year.

That was the Unlimited and Sporter regional. I think the date (Labor Day weekend) was a factor along with the fact that it fell between the IBS Group Nationals and the NBRSA Nationals. We had somewhere close to 40 shooters for the HV-LV regionals in July.

Nonetheless we definitely have a participation problem. Our club has a monthly club group match (one agg, BR and factory classes). We have had a number of factory guys jump into br, but getting them to come to registered shoots is tough. Two new shooters from our club came to Rachel's Glen, but a combination of gun problems and tough conditions caused them to decide not to shoot on Sunday. I hope they will come to another shoot...they definitely had a trial by fire (or ice) this past weekend.

One thing I've thought might help would be to convince someone to create documentaries on the sport for airing on TV, but I don't know anyone in the industry. For example, if we could get the guys who do TimeLapse to video the effect of barrel vibration on accuracy, that might generate some interest in the sport.

Thanks for your reply Jackie...

I still maintain that Club Match Programs, such as what we have at Tomball, is the breeding ground for those that are interested in Extreme Accuracy Shooting. Shooters can come out, give it a try, and see if the bug bites BEFORE they spend the Kid's college money on that new Rifle........jackie

Agree with this statement, since the local Club is the heart (IMHO) of the sport, it has to start here. As to some of the comments about the snob factor - yes there is some (but then I think that is true of all sports and clubs). Sometimes comments are really meant to help, but just come out wrong (we all have had good intentioned comments taken the wrong way).

One thought I had today while at the range (took the day off to avoid the heavy traffic at the local range - ie Deer season)...It seems that some of the local clubs end the bench rest season at about the time hunting season begins. Maybe open up or publish something about a clinic at your range to help the local hunter sportsman to assist in sighting in their rifles, answer questions about loads, scopes, etc. I have been approached several times recently with questions (and the only reason I can see that they are asking is the factory varmint rig, sitting in a rest so it looks like I know what I'm doing - oh and maybe that little bitty target I'm shooting at). There seem to be a number of folks out there that just aren't sure how their scopes work - "do I click up to lower the POI" or "what power scope is that on your rifle - I just can't see as well anymore".

And not to pick on the guys in Denton (cause I have said it before they are really great guys), but not once have I seen anything about the matches except on here and Stiller's web site. Now, I don't make it to all the local gun stores, but maybe some sort of flyer, etc or even a post on some other site. They may have tried that, and with everyone so afraid to promote anything to do with shooting these days, it might not work...but then again maybe there are places that would love to help promote the sport.

Oh and Jackie, it was good to hear that Tomball has a 'true' factory class for guys like me (I know the guys in Denton said come out and shoot what ya got). Yes some will want to compete at the same level, but some of us just like to shoot - if it is sanctioned or not. Maybe the guys could spend the kids college money and include the kids in the fun ;)

Thanks

"High cost to compete, tons of practice needed to be competitive"

Isn't that the object of most Competitive Endevours?? To make it where dedication to the Sport rewards those willing to put forth the effort.

But, your point is well taken. If nobody cares, then the last one out of the room can turn off the lights, and lock the door..........jackie

Truer words where never spoken about this subject. Costs don't go up for one area of this sport, they go up by leaps and bounds across the entire range of associated costs. BR is truly the best sport you can do with your clothes on. It is just one of the most expensive. The way this economy is headed I would be unsurprised to see it anywhere near the level it is today.

For my $.02,
Cost is a relative term when it comes to shooting...The bottom line after all these examples is that you can spend whatever you want and compete. It just depends on who you are competing against. For me, regardless of whether I am shooting against national champions or guys from the club I am shooting against myself. Matches aren't that expensive to participate in.

What does a top notch ISPA gun cost...how many rounds do they shoot per week? I'll bet their cost rivals ours.
Bass fishing...a baseline boat is going to cost over $10K, then you have to have a truck that will pull it, poles, lures, etc...
Poker...you can play online for free or go to vegas and have a $10K buy in to the big tournament.

Maybe it's that shortrange Benchrest is an "extreme" sport. Put it in perspective as far as numbers are concerned: There are a lot of people who ride mountain bikes, but there are few who will free ride and attempt 30' drops. There are many people who will go skiiing, but there are few who will helicopter to the top of a swiss mountain and risk their lives getting down.
The guns we use are not used for anything else...save for prairie dog shooting. you can't shoulder them, buy the ammo in the store, or put a bipod on them and shoot coyotes.

The more extreme and esoteric you get, the fewer the numbers are.
I love this sport and try to infect everyone I meet with the excitement I feel from shooting small or getting a 50-5x. The reality is that the majority of shooters aren't driven to it.

Can't wait for next season. Promote the sport as much as possible, and enjoy every minute.
Mike

future of group shooting

I'm really enjoying this discussion .
Looks like a lot of opinions
Maybe it's about little incentive for the middle of the pack for
Group shooters' or lack of a junior program.

Back up a few years

We had more members, and more importantly, a higher percentage of members attending matches. In fact, we had concerns about setting registration limits at many ranges to have enough daylight to complete the relays. What I'm saying there is that in the SER we literally had more folks shooting than we had stools to sit on.

We had no "programs" to entice anyone. I remember some volunteers and committees but they died on the vine for lack of support. By lack of support I mean that the efforts were (are now and always will be) mostly single handed.

Sooo, I wrote all that to say this:

What changed?

Therein lies the "fix" if a fix exists. Hard to fix it without identifying the causes. Further, if you don't identify the cause and start fixing on it you may make matters worse.

I'll throw out some things that have changed since the "peak":

Economy
Magazine
Membership and match fees
Fuel prices
Reciprocity
Percentage of membership actually attending matches

I think Wilbur is on to something. This economy is causing a lot of people to alter their life style. Just look at the crowds at the better restaurants in your area. They are down in mine.

I can remember when I was a young man in my thirties, trying to shoot hunter class benchrest. I concluded that those who were winning were investing a lot more time and money into this sport than I was willing to. The time was more of a problem than even the money and the money was a problem.

A friend of mine suggested that we start our own game. Offhand shooting with our deer rifles at paper targets at 100 yards. We would meet every Sunday morning and shoot twenty rounds. If one of us were way ahead of the other after ten rounds, we would put up another target and start over. That is the way we stayed in the game.

I have found that 22 benchrest shooting (50/50) works for me now that I am slowing down from my young man's pace. The ammo is expensive but the game is no more expensive than some of my friends spend of golf or fishing.

One thing that I never do is complain about my score. If I shoot a 242 and gripe about it, how does this make the new guy who just shot a 232 feel.

Concho Bill

Wilbur

I think one more thing that has changed since the peak is that it's not as much fun as it was before. Point blank BR is too competitive. Many shooters used to participate for the pleasure and enjoyment. The big majority of participants in ANY sport are there for the same reason. To have fun. Too many shooters today believe there's only one reason to shoot - to win. They've lost track of the purpose of any leisure activity - to relax and enjoy it.

I remember my friend Harold Broughton would show up at a match with one of his strange looking wildcats, or something as ordinary as the 6x47. Others would tell him, "Harold, you ain't gonna win with that." He would say, "You are probably right but I'm doing it mostly for fun. And it will be double fun if I kick your butt with it."

That's what I mean.

JMHO

Ray

I agree with you...

Wilbur

I think one more thing that has changed since the peak is that it's not as much fun as it was before. Point blank BR is too competitive. Many shooters used to participate for the pleasure and enjoyment. The big majority of participants in ANY sport are there for the same reason. To have fun. Too many shooters today believe there's only one reason to shoot - to win. They've lost track of the purpose of any leisure activity - to relax and enjoy it.

I remember my friend Harold Broughton would show up at a match with one of his strange looking wildcats, or something as ordinary as the 6x47. Others would tell him, "Harold, you ain't gonna win with that." He would say, "You are probably right but I'm doing it mostly for fun. And it will be double fun if I kick your butt with it."

That's what I mean.

JMHO

Ray

to a point. But, look at the huge, in comparison, participations in military high power, F class shooting vs. benchrest. There is something else at work here. From many shooters perspective, I think, high power is "what rifle shooting is about"...standing, prone, sitting/kneeling, iron sights, etc. jmho.

Mike...

Forgive the intrusion, if you will fellas - outside looking in again.

Some initial thoughts - ammo and firearms sales are through the roof, Cerberus is about to have a IPO for the firearms group under their holdings. Interest in firearms and shooting is apparently as high as it has been in years. I have read through this thread (and others like it on this site) and have to admit there 'should' be a growing interest in the sport.

Why not? This is just from my point of view - I'm over 50, so not really your target group here, but here goes. I have attended exactly one match, everyone was great and I had a really grand time and enjoyed myself. Have I decided to jump in? no - I would like to, after all one of the good folks let me shoot his 6ppc, but then let's see the rifle was probably $2500-$3500, scope another $2000 and the front rest close to $1000, then the reading on here about how many barrels some guys go through at $300-$500 per - well you guys know this is not a sport for the faint of wallet. And I am not saying it is a bad thing - just one factor that might keep folks from jumping in (the stinkin economic conditions are as much a factor these days).

What would make a difference for me - the guys at the match I attended told me to come on out and bring what I have (did I mention these were really great guys?). Job and family obligations have kept me from doing that, plus I have to admit my own abilities - I would like to be able to at least not to terrible when I do show up (yeah I know everyone has to start somewhere).

I think a 'true' factory class would be good - same scopes and all different types of rest, etc. just a factory rifle (much like one used for hunting or used at the local range). Maybe a all caliber match - from the older 219 Donaldson, 222's, 6x47 (not the Lapua one), 6x45 that were once used in BR shooting matches. That way some young shooter could enter and use Grand Dad's old BR rifle to shoot.

Getting the word out - not sure how you do this, but if I had not been coming to this site I would never have known that there were matches in Denton (or any of the other matches in TX's) period. Maybe contact the local big box chain - Cabela's, Bass Pro, fill in your favorite local store and promote the monthly shoots with them. Let the local scouting groups know, not sure if any high school/college in this area have shooting programs but I would sure as heck let them know - maybe Deton could swap with the local 4-H young folks that do target duty for them and pull targets for the young folks while THEY do some shooting (even if it takes the loan of a rifle).

Sorry for the ramble, but did want to share some thoughts...the idea of talking with the NRA mentioned previously sounded good as well.

Thanks Guys

regarding firearms and ammunition sales, that all started post Obama election as folks fear the dems will further restrict or outlaw certain guns and ammo. Those fears are well founded and have resulted in a surge of sales and buying to hoard. Not, imo, a true reflection of the desire to competitively shoot. --Greg

That's what I'm talking about

Cheechako hit on something that relates to match attendance and I agree that it ain't as much fun (at least for me) as it used to be. I thought it was just me being burned out.

If this is a genuine contributor to falling attendance, how would we fix it?

I'd like to see BR competitors shooting for a decent sized purse for winning.

I'm very appreciative of the history of our hobby, but the fact is we're shooting for the same wooden placques and trophies that they did back in the 1960's.

Not only do we ask this of the competitors, but also of the hardworking persons that run the tournaments. They take vacation days and contribute their time and energy to run these matches...all for z-e-r-o renumeration.
And we wonder why they get burnt out?

We have what are undeniably the most accurate rifles on Planet Earth, assembled by some of the best thinkers around, using cutting edge materials and ideas, steered and tuned by people that are absolute magicians in the ways of the wind and and the tune........yet we're at the bottom of the heap when it comes to rewarding these people for their efforts when they win, place or show?

We're a half a century behind.

Editted to add: This includes all forms of BR shooting....Group, Score....you name it.

Last edited:
Many years ago at Avery we shot a "fun" match on Saturday, between the LV and HV. The format was different each month. Shooting for score on the back of a target. No sighters. One shot, closest to the corner. Shoot someone elses rifle. Things like that. Everybody kicked in $1 to pay the target and stat crew for their extra work and the winner got maybe $5 or $10. There was the usual grumbling from the usual suspects, but many of us looked forward to it. Not every match required the most accurate rifle. Some required you to out snooker the other guys, so even the beginners had a chance. It may not be an answer but it's worth considering.

Just my usual HO.

ray

burn out

you want to revive your interest?

pay money!!!! have 2 classes that shoot at the same time [together] and jackpot the money. it aint dumbing down the sport it will reward those at the top and throw a little bone to some just part way down the page.

i gaurunteeee a couple hundred for first will raise your interest. even though someone half way down the page might get a hundred back you will be happy to get some cash.

I'd like to see BR competitors shooting for a decent sized purse for winning.

We're a half a century behind.

Editted to add: This includes all forms of BR shooting....Group, Score....you name it.
Hey Al, I agree about a decent winning pot. Just so happens in this sport the pot of money goes out.

I used to shoot a lot of registered Trap and go to the Grand American, the Super Shoot of Trap. A good Trap shooter could come back with $6,000-$8,000 in winnings. But that is a different game. That big purse came muchly from the gun makers and ammunition companies.

The attendance at the Grand American each year is several thousand, not just a hundred or so. Money there too to build purses with that we don't have. Just a basic statistic from the ATA, an estimated 3.7 million shot Trap and/or Skeet in 1996. All the benchrest disciplines have a total of what, 5,000??

Benchrest is put together a piece at a time, barrel, action, bullets etc. All those component builders are pretty much cottage industries. They don't make enough at the cottage level to sponsor a $5,000 pot like a Kreghoff or a Perazzi would.

Lets face it, if we were to build this sport up to a major event, one that ESPN would send a satellite truck, the first thing we would have to develop would be a larger range base. Now, who wants to be a Match Director and run the matches???

Back