Calfee Sporter

Tim In Texas
Tim add Pappas to your ignore list immediately.Ask your reasonable questions of anybody else but him and you will get a decent answer.He seems to think anybody asking a question on the rimfire board knows nothing at all if they haven't got 20 years in competing against him and has a real huge chip on his shoulder about Calfee and centerfire shooters in general.He is bad juju all the way around in my opinion.
Sorry to see he is now attacking you and including myself in his attacks.Wilbur was supposed to control him but as you can see it hasn't happened yet.Maybe a Supermoderator will see his post and get rid of it.
Waterboy

mr pappas

so you are saying that you dont adjust your tuner ever? tim in tx

aaaaaaaaaand

I have never seen a rimfire shooter go to the 600 yard forum for help tuning a rimfire or to tell them they don't know when their 600 yd.rifle is not tuned.[/QUOTE]

i have but it was centerfire and his name was bill calfee. tim in tx

Tim
If you add him to your ignore list you won't even know if he has replied and when you view the forum his posts won't even show up on your monitor.Its the best 3 minutes of time you will ever spend on this website.
Glad to hear you and Henry are coming out.Look for posts by Harry Deneen or Mike Sherril.
Waterboy

Tim in Texas, when your tuner is set properly ie before the barrel drops and prior to it's peak rise it will never need to be moved ever. and never is a long time.

Tim in Texas, when your tuner is set properly ie before the barrel drops and prior to it's peak rise it will never need to be moved ever. and never is a long time.

Just before the barrel drops would be the peak rise. So is it just before the barrel drops or prior to the peak rise or at the peak rise? Didn't you have a different theory about two weeks ago? Will you get us another one next week?

mr pappas

i redited post 66 to reflect the way i meant to say it. tim in tx

Tuners reduce the vertical in ammo. They do not make bad ammo good. If they did, just go down to Wal-Mart buy Winchester Wildcats, tune and go start winning major matches. If a lot of ammo has a large vertical component, don't buy it. Easy done.

As far as temperature, I think the ammo itself and not the tuner is affected. I've seen ammo that just stops at a certain temperature, and I've seen ammo that shoots through.

For the record, I had a lot of ammo that maintained the same tuner setting from a low of about 38 degrees to high of about 95. No problems, but it was good ammo.

Madrox,
I've never tried it but you imply that you may have, can a tuner reduce the vertical from Winchester Wilcats and Eley or Lapua? "Reduce" is also a candid term somewhat subjective. I've seen more very successful shooters twist their tuners than new shooters during a match in the 20 minutes allotted to finish a target. Some have been very successful. I wonder why they did that? I've seen it many, many times. It isn't an anomaly. It is fact. I've been to some 11 or 12 ranges in the last three years over some 65 to 70 events and have seen it. I always know someone is in trouble when I do. A keyboard shooter wouldn't know it.

Carp

DSCN0882.jpg this is the lowest grade of ammo tested. the results were it helped 100% however wether its 1047 speed tenex or cci standard when a round exceeds the capabilities of the tuned rifle you will have a flyer or dropper. I suspect a tuner will help any grade of sub sonic ammo to an extent. it will not turn any sub sonic into match grade but it will help.

Carp

Could you please name some of these shooters and the ranges they shoot at?

I'm making up my shooting schedule for next year and I'm tired of shooting against all these guys that already have their gun tuned before they get to the match.

Maybe next year I can do better against the guys you shoot with?

All kidding aside, trying to tune during a match is a last ditch effort. Very few times will a person be so lucky as to find a sweet spot in that kind of a rush.

I have been to as many ranges as you, but not as many events, and I can't recall ever seeing one of the top shooters adjust a tuner during a match. (Other than someone shooting a new unproven rifle.)

DSCN0886.jpg it will even help a varmit rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Madrox,
I've never tried it but you imply that you may have, can a tuner reduce the vertical from Winchester Wilcats and Eley or Lapua? "Reduce" is also a candid term somewhat subjective. I've seen more very successful shooters twist their tuners than new shooters during a match in the 20 minutes allotted to finish a target. Some have been very successful. I wonder why they did that? I've seen it many, many times. It isn't an anomaly. It is fact. I've been to some 11 or 12 ranges in the last three years over some 65 to 70 events and have seen it. I always know someone is in trouble when I do. A keyboard shooter wouldn't know it.

Carp

Sure it can reduce the vertical in Winchester Wildcats. It's the weight effect. That's not to say that's all it does. But it won't make you a winner with Wildcats.

The rest of your post is rambling, so I won't try to answer that.

DSCN0874.jpgKeith, this was a shade tree tuner put on several different rifles. we were testing to see if any tuner and any weights helped. and in every instance they did. from this sort of testing it became apparent that any weight of tuner helped and it was only a matter of the correct weight for each rifle.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Back