Calfee Sporter

if they worked that well all the time wouldn't everyone try that.
i doubt if very many besides harry deneen could've pulled that off.

but you and beau could try it. and make the nor'easterners look bad.
hey wait a minute nobody shoots sporters in ara do they. i wonder
why? i just gotta ask does anyone who shoots sporter if they're actually able
to feed it from the magazine? i know they're supposed to, but can you?

Yeah, mine feeds from a magazine. I don't know if most others do or not, never really cared.

I think people who choose ARA are not sporter types. One gun, or several that do the same thing.

thanks madrox, i've seen some magazines that look doubtful if they would
ever feed right. just wondered. i don't shoot them anyway, i wish i could
see good enough, i tried a couple of times and got some respect for those
that do. didn't know if the magazines were ornamental or functional.

Next week

Should be interesting! Tony boyer has offered me to shoot his new calfee gun at the unlimited indoor nationals next week in va.. We are going to double up on it, so i hope tony takes it easy on me.. I thought i was a competitor but boy was i wrong! The sporters will stay home... Stay tuned... Harry..:):):)

Wow!

What a tag team! Harry and Tony shooting a Calfee back to back. That is going to be some show!!!!

I guess the rest of us are shooting for third place?

But guess what, I'll be proud to shoot against these guys.

The way I look at it, the pressure is on them. The rest of us have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

Pull your socks up Harry and Tony it ain't over till it's over!!!

And, no there is no money on this! Can't, too scared!!!:D:D

It should be quite a show. Unfortunately I'll be working on my own targets and will have to wait for the scorers to finish and hang em on the wailing wall. Good luck to the tag team. There will be a great many good shooters in Piney Hill next weekend. Coming it 3rd will be an excellent accomplishment. bob finger

Th, and bob,

When it comes to indoors anything can happen, but it will be a honor to shoot with a legend like tony all weekend no matter how i finish.. Harry..:):):)

i think tony will probably feel the same harry. now when you going to
shoot in a centerfire match with him? anyway good luck to both of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at the top five shooters on the IR 50/50 Sporter Scoreline the
worst score is a 249.Four of those five guns were built by Gordon Eck and delivered mid season this year.If Calfee has a new profile I guess his sporters will shoot 250-25x's every time.

PS I just heard a rumor that Bill Hinegardner shoot three 250's last week with his new Eck Sporter the first time out.

Last edited by a moderator:
other than being at the match is their a way of knowing the barrel lenght and contour of any custom sporter?

If you look at the top five shooters on the IR 50/50 Sporter Scoreline the
worst score is a 249.Four of those five guns were built by Gordon Eck and delivered mid season this year.If Calfee has a new profile I guess his sporters will shoot 250-25x's every time.

PS I just heard a rumor that Bill Hinegardner shoot three 250's last week with his new Eck Sporter the first time out.

Ernie,

Is there a problem with Bill Calfee developing a new sporter profile or were the Eck guns using the old sporter profile? It's a little unclear what you're saying.

Calfee's old profile has been in use for ever 10 years now, and I hear he has developed another that he believes to be an improvement over the old one. From what I understand this one is called the Calfee 2nd Generation Sporter profile. I guess he could put it out as the 2G. Bear in mind this is only rumor.

One thing about Calfee, he doesn't sit on his laurels. He seems to be always trying to improve the work he's already done. Seems like a good thing to me.

Madrox,
You misunderstand my post.I'm elated that Calfee POSSIBLY has developed an improved
sporter profile.Gordon ECK has developed a new one and at the sporter nationals his sporters shot 250-19,(3) 250-17's,250-14,250-13,won all three targets and the three gun agg.By the way the previous scores were by six different shooters. Just think if Calfees new profile is superior we'll all be shooting better than 250-19's.Its great because you'll no longer need a heavy gun!! I can't wait to see them perform.

Earnie, Our sporters were built by Gordon and shoot very well. The profile is Calfee. Hope to see you soon.
Jim

The last

Time i talked to bc he said he was very proud of gordon, i know that bill has helped gordon alot with the sporter, they have talked alot and they both can get the job done! Harry..:):):)

I've received information about this barrel from three different sources. It's almost like a auto writer receiving vague information about a new car design. I assume that the idea is I'll tell what I know, which is still rumor. Could be there is no new sporter profile. But, I'll bite.

From what I understand it was at least a year in the making. It has enough significant differences from a normal barrel profile that it can be patented (that came from source 1). Source 2 says it probably doesn't matter if it's patented or not as no other gunsmith is likely to be able to copy it. Source 3 says it will shoot with a heavy gun any day of the week.

Again, all rumor, but I will say one thing. I've shot sporter but never a Calfee sporter. Personally, I don't know how anybody does much of anything with them. 6X scopes are not for me, I like to be able to count the hairs on a fly's back with my scopes. I got lucky once and I mean pure luck and shot a 249 other than that my scores are closer to the ones Martin posts for his heavy gun (234, 236 etc.) However, from what I've seen, the Calfee sporter profile has an integral tuner. If it will consistently shoot with the heavy guns with various lots of good ammo, Calfee's tuner theories are proven. No question.

Rumor

There is always the chance that this is a blantant rumor. As for patenting a barrel contour, I'm sure every Barrel Maker has this covered.

Back