Calfee Sporter

I think Harry Deneen kept his tuner taped in the same position on his Suhl for about 5 years. He did pretty good, I hear.

They were always tapped when I saw his rifles. Bet his 10.5/UNl are also tapped now. Lots of other shooters have theirs tapped.
Fred K

Just a simple question for those that have seen the tape...is it over the numbers or over the part that overlaps the base that is clamped to the barrel? I just never paid any attention.

Carp

Tim

I may be wrong but I don't believe the Calfee rifles such as Craig Young, DJ, Mark Meadows and ect. EVER move their tuners. A lot of rimfire br shooters down in the southeast have had their tuner taped in one place for years, these aren't all Calfee rifles. This is not a big secret, anyone who has been to the matches would see it.
Tim, there are probably a couple of things about rimfire br shooting that you aren't going to learn unless you shoot it. All that is written on this forum about tuners by people who do not shoot rimfire br is not necessary true.

Tim In Texas
Tim if your shooting RE15 30 degrees of temperature change means your gun only shoots east of the Mississippi river.
Waterboy

mr papas sir i do agree about me not shooting rimfire but

I think Harry Deneen kept his tuner taped in the same position on his Suhl for about 5 years. He did pretty good, I hear.
i know of mr deneen,i hear he is one of the best,i have the utmost respect for him. but how good he shoots doesnt say if his rifle goes out of tune in 30 degrees.can mr deneen say his suhl really has a 30 degree wide tune?or mr boyer?or any of the people you mentioned.i can see a 23 degrees tune but i would certainly take heed if they said it was so .there is always more to learn and i am willing .essentually i believe granted there are differences and yet these guys[testing on this forum] are tuning the verticle out on rimfire just like you would centerfire ,they use target specified ammo right? and they keep changing ammo untill they find the ammo that shoots so the ammo excuse doent fly with me.and have seen no actual chronographed data what so ever just guesses by what the box says.the differences stated in the past between centerfire and rimfire is like saying a ppc tunes differently then a 338 lapua mag.we are all tuning the vertical out just like gene beggs has proved.and he is one of the best most knowlegable persons on tune and will help anybody that wants it.in summary if it has a firing pin that smacks a primer and propels a bullet going through a barrel from an action on a stock then i contend it is different but yet tuned exactly the same way.no vertical present right? tim in tx

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not in the class of Mr Daneen but I've shot 2400's in 30 degree and 90+ degree weather this year and have not clicked my tuner once. I've shot ammo rated at 1070, 1060 and 1065...no clicking...

thanks don

if your gun shoots in those temp extremes have you shot a 2400 at 60 degrees? tim in tx

His tuners are developed on his theories regardless of how they are worded. Tuners work; theory proven.
From listening to Bills posts - it was the other way around. His theories came from what he observed while making his tuners work.
Tuner proven - theory is still up in the air.

Tim

if your gun shoots in those temp extremes have you shot a 2400 at 60 degrees? tim in tx

If you look at the A-Line on the ARA home page here on BRC, you would see that Don M. will end up as the winner of the A-Line for this year. That means he shot great ALL year, All over the country.

The coefficient of thermal expansion for steel is around 7.3 x10^-6 in/in°F
or 0.0000073 inches per inch per degree F - so a 24" bar of steel (or a barrel) will grow 0.0105" in a 60°F change in temp (30°F - 90°F).

How many clicks would that be on a tuner?

PS
Thanks Bill Ohio. :D

Last edited:
The coefficient of thermal expansion for steel is around 7.3 x10^-6 in/in°F
or 0.0000073 inches per inch per degree F - so a 24" bar of steel (or a barrel) will grow 0.0105" in a 60°F change in temp (30°F - 90°F).

How many clicks would that be on a tuner?

:D

10.5 Clicks

that is too funny lynn

Tim In Texas
Tim if your shooting RE15 30 degrees of temperature change means your gun only shoots east of the Mississippi river.
Waterboy
well i will get the west coast barrel ready for next year when me and henry head that way.just you wait .[lol] tim in tx

Tim, You Are Right....

i know of mr deneen,i hear he is one of the best,i have the utmost respect for him. but how good he shoots doesnt say if his rifle goes out of tune in 30 degrees.can mr deneen say his suhl really has a 30 degree wide tune?or mr boyer?or any of the people you mentioned.i can see a 23 degrees tune but i would certainly take heed if they said it was so .there is always more to learn and i am willing .essentually i believe granted there are differences and yet these guys are tuning the verticle out on rimfire just like you would centerfire ,they use target specified ammo right? and they keep changing ammo untill they find the ammo that shoots so the ammo excuse doent fly with me.and have seen no actual chronographed data what so ever just guesses by what the box says.the differences stated is like saying a ppc tunes differently then a 338 lapua mag.we are all tuning the vertical out just like gene beggs has proved.and he is one of the best most knowlegable persons on tune and will help anybody that wants it.in summary if it has a firing pin that smacks a primer and propels a bullet going through a barrel from an action on a stock then i contend it is different but yet tuned exactly the same way.no vertical present right? tim in tx

Tim, you are right, no telling how good Harry could be if he just knew how to tune his rifle.

I love it..... You and Lynn come over on the rimfire forum trying to learn how to tune your centerfire rifles, don't know $hit about rimfire rifles, and tell us we don't know when our rifles are tuned. I have never seen a rimfire shooter go to the 600 yard forum for help tuning a rimfire or to tell them they don't know when their 600 yd.rifle is not tuned.

Don Matzeder,
How many different guns are you talking about? How many different barrels? Are you saying that you've shot 2400 targets in the temps of 30 Degrees F and 2400 targets in the temps of the 90 degrees F with the same barrel and tuner and ammo? Just a simple question.

Carp

This is all with my Earnhart Turbo with the Ratchet barrel. I didn't keep track but I think I have 17 2400+ targets this year with that gun.

Tim, you are right, no telling how good Harry could be if he just knew how to tune his rifle.

I love it..... You and Lynn come over on the rimfire forum trying to learn how to tune your centerfire rifles, don't know $hit about rimfire rifles, and tell us we don't know when our rifles are tuned.

you are wrong there mr pappas. absolutly not i am trying find out how wide their tunes are nothing more nor am i saying that you guys dont know how to tune your rifles.please dont take it that way,i am here to learn. i am simply asking if they really do have rifles that they dont have to adjust in large temp swings.don was the first to say it and i thank him for it.i mean no disrespect sir. tim in tx

Back