base to ogive tolerance when sorting???

Charles,

Here are the group results from the last 1000 yrd nationals you can clearly see it was Billy Copelin's weekend for shooting.

Heavygun Group 10 Shot

1) Billy Copelin 8.522
2) Kenneth Schroeder 8.938
3) Charles Greer 9.031
4) Tommy Johnson 9.384
5) Lou Murdica 9.699
6) Gerald Tierney 9.873
7) Barry Bluhm 10.13
8) Steven Ikeda 10.40
9) George Tompkins 10.46
10) Robert Hoppe 10.60

Lightgun Group 5 Shot

1) Billy Copelin 4.611
2) Barry Bluhm 6.800
3) Robert Hoppe 7.338
4) Andy Anderson 7.619
5) Tommy Johnson 7.687
6) John Crawford 7.769
7) Greg Wilson 7.809
8) Kenneth Schroeder 7.882
9) Geral Tierney 7.922
10) Curt Mendenhall 8.028

Two Gun Group

1) Billy Copelin 6.566
2) Kenneth Schroeder 8.411
3) Barry Bluhm 8.469
4) Tommy Johnson 8.536
5) Gerald Tierney 8.898
6) Charles Greer 8.905
7) Lou Murdica 8.950
8) Robert Hoppe 8.970
9) Peter White 9.805
10) Greg Wilson 10.02

I kind of lost the topic of the thread but to return to the sorting issue: I shoot 600 and 1K BR, F-Class and Palma. For BR and F-Class, I sort bullets for bearing surface length, believing that uniform BSL reduces extreme velocity variations. I think BSL also predicts weight and ogive shape and accordingly, sorting for BSL reduces BC variations. I'm convinced that this and precisely weighed charges allow minimal vertical. If I had statistically significant data to share I just make the claim as fact but as it is I'll take my anecdotal evidence and connect the dots to my own purposes and satisfaction. For Palma with its more generous target and greater shooter induced aiming error, I use them out of the box. I'm working off a lot of 6mm SMK 107's that are incredibly uniform and simply can't be sorted. I bought them for price to use in score games (and for my stepdaughter) and now I find myself confining their use to 600 BR so as to not squander their wonderfulness on venues that require less absolute precision. Piedmont is a gentle range. There, in the deep end of the pool with Hall, Brady, Davis, the Wagners, the Isenhours and a long list of other talents who come ready to play, shooter skill will not overcome any compromise in ammo/equipment precision.

John
Your wasting your breath on this one.We shoot 30 shots in lightgun and 60 shots in heavygun spread out over 3 days.Alot of the posters here shoot 5 shots in lightgun and 10 in heavygun and thats a Match.They use 10 year old barrels according to some posts here by Charles E.We swap triggers and scopes more often than they wear out a barrel.

Charles E.
Last years winning 6 target lightgun agg over 3 days was 4.6xx inches for 30 shots.
Last years winning 6 tgt heavygun agg over 3 days was 8.5 inches for 60 shots.Jerry Tierney who is a actual Engineer finished second over-all ancd has won 3 NBRSA Benchrest National Titles.If you come out this year I will pay your match fees and hire you a puller in the pits on me.Jerry is not a Sacramento winner or a National Winner he is a International Winner who just happens to win all over the U.S. of A and Sacramento is his home base.
He drives a white 3/4 ton ford 4x4 and when the headlights are pointing to the moon it probaly means his 65,000 practice bullets are probaly sitting in the bed.If you guys would do a search on this forum you would know he shoots 5 days a week on average and no we don't get snow in Sacramento so yes that is year round.

I know Alinwa is scratching his head about the bullets so I did the math.They weigh in excess of 1350 pounds.

Mike in Co.
If you ever get the chance to shoot with us both nationals are held in the best weather possible each year.We shoot the 600 yard match in April and the 1,000 yard match in october.
It blows switchy out here not steady so when you read a weather website and see we are getting 15 mph winds that means in each direction.The wind is calm until about 8 AM when it starts up and by 10 AM it is blowing in both directions.
If you get a chance visit the various websites and look at the match results.Charles E is Charles E and Jerry Tierney is Jerry Tierney or Gerald Tierney.I am Lynn Dragoman JMC is John Crawford 4Mesh is Phil Bowers.Look at the wins and judge for yourself.
When you look at the Williamsport website pay close attention to the number of 3 inch groups.Nobody has ever shot a 3 inch group in Sacramento and very very few 4 inch groups have ever been shot.We shoot the same rifles built by the same gunsmiths and use the same barrels,bullets,brass,powder and primers.Vern Juenke lives 1.5 hours from the range and we all have his ICC machine.Right now your chomping at the bit to say well those eastcoast guys must be better reloaders and shooters and that might be true but ask yourself this question?Why don't they come out here in the best weather we have each year and shoot an inch better than everybody else?
The smallest lightgun target ever fired at 600 yards was shot here as well.Please remember that there 600 yard heavyguns shoot 5 shots not 10 per target like ours.
4Mesh
I have posted alot of posts trying to let you eastcoast shooters know its not easy shooting out here but I don't want this post getting any worse than it already is.
I am not suprised Tony Boyer refuses to post here.I am not suprised Henry Childs doesn't post here any more.I am not suprised Bill Calfee doesn't post here anymore and I am not suprised Jerry Tierney has thrown in the towel either.I still consider Williamsport the superbowl of 1000 yard benchrest and hope to shoot there.

Jerry
Well champ I guess I owe you a beer or three? And its sad to see you go like all the others.

Lynn aka Wrterboy

I think I'm one of the smaller number of 1K benchrest shooters who came to it from point-blank group shooting. Not one of the better or more famous, just "one of."

Now if you shoot point blank you read the wind. Depending on your style, and whether shooting a bag gun or unlimited return-to-battery, your response to wind-reading is to either hold off, or decide when to shoot and when not. Actually, everybody does both, but favors one technique.

The eventual skill is not calculating, but instinctive. You put a lot of bullets downrange, while looking at windflags, and seeing where each shot goes. You can shoot a sighter at any time, and see the result. In reasonable conditions, at 100 yards, you'd better be able to shoot a flat .2 for 15 targets (group) or over 20 Xs (score). Otherwise, you're not in the top 5 at match end. In terms of MOA or X's, it gets a little lower at 200 yards, and a little lower still at 300 yards.

This skillset does not translate well to 1,000yard shooting. The people who say "read the wind and hold off" come from a different background. It's human nature to believe that the same activity (reading the wind, holding off) doesn't work, because you have the skill (albeit acquired from point-blank benchrest) and you've proven to yourself it doesn't work. Moreover, you have found skills that do work. These are the technical "skills" of putting together very good equipment. Most of us are quite comfortable with "barrels and bullets win matches," because we've proved it over and over.

So here is the question. A guy like Jerry Tierney crosses over, and has some success. He says "read the wind." We already know from our experience this doesn't work. End of story, except he's had "some" success -- won more than one National.

OK, that's additional information to process. Step one is denial. Step two is "under what conditions?" That's where most of us are now.

More than one shooter has moved from BR to highpower. Jim Hardy comes to mind. They all report "I learned more in 1 day about reading wind and mirage shooting with a good coach than I learned in a lot of years shooting benchrest."

I'd love to see Jim come back and shoot Hawks Ridge. Except he won't, and Hawks Ridge is gone. The reason I'd love it is I'd like to see for myself if his Highpower/Palma skills do translate into benchrest wins. Well, I'd also like the chance to visit, but you know what I mean.

I do have a bone to pick with Jerry Tierney. Faced with our doubt, he decides to blow us off. Given my crusty personality, I probably would too, but it does nothing to convince us. We wind up with the notion that in bad conditions, when the winning aggs approach 1 MOA, they guy who (successfully) holds for it will win. I already knew that. And those kind of conditions aren't typical, most of us want to improve our performance generally, not in unusual conditions. Moreover, in a 2-target agg, there will be a group who doesn't get the really bad conditions. Luck is a factor.

So, to my mind, 1K benchrest is still a game where equipment is over 75% of the success formula, and for the remainder, luck is as big as shooting skills. What's wrong with that? I'm also willing to be shown I'm wrong, but it's going to take some convincing. Wins are just one more data point, and have to be fit into the explanatory model just like bullets, barrels, and the rest.

Scary findings

Here’s the break down on 1K-105gVLD Target bearing surface measurements that I can find. I kept it because I sent an email complaint off to Berger about it. The sorting was going along as a very consistent lot when at 130some in and just about to give up I ran into the first odd one.

6- .462”
4- .463”
18- .469”
150- .470”
500- .471”
300- .472”
11- .473”

How can a bullet shaped with .462 bearing surface be expected to shot the same place as a bullet with .473” of bearing surface?

They get put in marked boxes for possible further sorting if the good ones have varying weights or if the base to ogive still varies. The 30-40 odd ones in this lot get used for whatever. I like to do my last loaded sorting by total OAL. That way if the bullets were seated even the points on the bullets being shot together are pretty similar. Maybe I’m just too lazy to trim the points uniform.

I’m becoming more and more convinced that Berger’s insufficient concern for their lot to lot and in lot variations comes from being too reliant on feedback from people that hold their rifles when shooting &/or bench test in less than good conditions.

Charles E,
If you look at Lynn’s post about Jerry, Lynn just exposes a small amount of Jerry’s accomplishment in long range and his credits for a national champion, and holding world records crosses across many different long range disciplines. Trust me I shoot at Sacramento and Jerry is very tough to beat. Jerry was also the top point holder for NBRSA long range hall of fame and possibly passed by Don Neilson recently.

I question your reasoning as a super moderator and why you would have a bone to pick with Jerry. I know many top benchrest shooters and the basic advice given is “I can tell you what works for me, you need to figure out what works for you” simple many ways to achieve the same thing.

I do have a bone to pick with Jerry Tierney. Faced with our doubt, he decides to blow us off. Given my crusty personality, I probably would too, but it does nothing to convince us.

This does make one wonder about the mindset on this board when Phil, 4mesh can go off on a rant and tirade such as,

Ok Jerry, I'm just gonna say it.

BULL____ (edit, it took out what I wrote, but I bet even you can guess what it was)

bs, bs, bs... Who do you think you are kidding?

If you have all these people snowed into believing this crap, and everyone else there also aims all over hell as they shoot, it's no wonder nobody shoots small.

And you find this type of rant and bashing fine yet when one chooses not to put up with this type of childish behavior you have a bone to pick with them. You have no issues with Phil but you have a bone to pick with Jerry because he wishes not to put up with this type of childish behavior? There is no professionalism or even a decent challenge in what Phil posted, he may as well of kicked him in the groin and call him a liar. And as Lynn posted the names of top shooters that will not post here anymore, there are a lot more you can add to the list, and anyone ever wonder why?

It is my understanding that Phil is a very accomplished shooter himself and as being such one would think he would show a little more respect to other shooters and other shooters opinions. Just my take on what is on this board and why we have to bash fellow shooters instead of respecting their opinions, their shooting styles (no we all don’t do the same thing) and their accomplishments. I for one am happy to have Jerry as a fellow shooter, with his accomplishments in long range there is a wealth of knowledge to be learned from the man.

Tricrown,

Isn't it wonderful that now you have some bullets to test with. Those extremes are the ones to look at, but, Imo (only Imo) the bearing surface is not as important as many other measurements because of the difficulty in measuring it. I'm not going to get into a discussion on that however cause that's strictly opinion and we know how bad they can be. Suffice to say, I consider it difficult to measure. If others feel otherwise, that's great. I do not think you will be able to see differences of bearing surface on paper (by themselves). But they may show up if you include other things, or may make other things easier to measure with that dimension consistent. As you probably read before, I do not feel it is my job (or anyone elses) to just outright tell you what to check for and what it will do. 1/2 the fun in shooting is in the problem solving and finding your own answers. You'll take greater pride in finding them, and you'll probably talk less after a few episodes of finding expensive facts.

Lynn,

I have listened on many occasions and even discussed with you the merits of different ranges. I do not doubt for one second that that particular west coast range might be unique. I've never shot there, I do not know. If you never get conditions that cause 15" of vertical switch at that range, then it is most definitely different than Williamsport. I'll allow that, and have no problem with it being very difficult. I see ending results, but I do not see relay results. How many relays of shooters? How many shooters? What are relay winning groups? What are relay winning scores? What is the shooting format? is it similar to ours or do you add in some additional time delays to hose the shooter and that is why the results are what they are. The questions go on and on. Please bear in mind, this is a benchrest forum, and this is the 1000 yard br section. I expect opinions to be in line with the goals and methods of 1K br, as probably does anyone else who reads this forum. If someone wishes to compare disciplines and point out differences and similarities, great.

Guys post here from down under, and there's an entire country that doesn't have a mountain as tall as we have in PA. They shoot relatively near the ocean, and have no protection from wind even if they shot dead center inland. They still shoot small groups, and the top shooters there pretty much opine exactly as those on the east coast of this country. PS, they are on the west coast of their country. Earth rotation notwithstanding, conditions should be similar. Their latitude is roughly similar to ours as well, just south vs north.

I look for all sorts of reasons why one place might be incredibly difficult. Time of day you shoot, whatever. No matter how I slice it, I do not see how conditions of equal change could be so different there than here. I've seen 6' changes at 100 yards inside of 60 seconds. Gigantic changes, but not ones anyone guessed. And not ones I'd call normal shooting conditions. Those are bad days, and usually lots of people miss the targets. Nobody is exempt.

To everyone:

Ok, so lets get some opinions in another thread on "wind reading". I want definitions, and I'm going to start a thread (hopefully with a poll) that will allow people to say what they "Think" wind reading is. Perhaps after that, we can come to a common definition and dis-spell some myths.

Ps. Greg. It was HG, score sucked, etc.

[edit]
Lynn. If you remember back when I was on the board at PA, I specifically held a board meeting (For you) the week after the World Open to set the dates for the next year so that you could be informed of them and get your vacation put in for immediately, and attend. We have also been quite accommodating to shooters at the PA range and I'm sure will be in the future. I understand that travel that far is expensive and time consuming. At least if you come this direction, 20th place has been known to get prizes. At least it did while I was there. I have not been shooting for some time, and most likely won't for a while. I do expect to try a few new venues, but each will be an expensive trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scary findings
Everything about YOUR post here is scary..

Let's see if I understand this correctly;
4% of your 989 bullets(mixed lot?) fell beyond +/- .001 [0.2% of mean bearing], with 6 of them(OMG) -.009 [1.9% of mean bearing]..
And as a pillar of reliance, you complained to Berger because this caused what exactly?

How can a bullet shaped with .462 bearing surface be expected to shot the same place as a bullet with .473” of bearing surface?
So what would happen in shooting these together?
Did Berger inform you what 105VLD bearing surfaces REALLY measure(well under .4)?

I like to do my last loaded sorting by total OAL. That way if the bullets were seated even the points on the bullets being shot together are pretty similar. Maybe I’m just too lazy to trim the points uniform.
You're all activist over a few thou of bearing variance, so easy to measure... But in the end you really just need loaded ammo to 'look similar', given minimum efforts expended!

I’m becoming more and more convinced that Berger’s insufficient concern for their lot to lot and in lot variations comes from being too reliant on feedback from people that hold their rifles when shooting &/or bench test in less than good conditions.
With a little experience measuring bullets from any maker, you'll learn that bullets are not made to blueprints. They are made as consistent as possible -IN LOT.
You might also notice this with brass, powder, & primers.

wind reading

How do you read wind that is blowing 15 top 20 feet above wind flags? How do you read when wind is blowing 3 to 4 different directions between bench and 1000 yards? Matt Kline

I believe that the right load shoots through the conditions better. I also believe you have to sort the bullets if you want to shoot really small. Matt

mikecr

Why such a wise ass?
Let me see if I got you right. You're saying that it is absured to believe that a variation of .011" in the lenght of the bearing surface will have no effect on the bullet once fired? Or are you saying that that it is absurded to think I should expect a better product.? Or somewthing else.

Pleae make an effort to be civil.

Let me see if I got you right.
Or are you saying that that it is absurded to think I should expect a better product.?
I think he is saying it is absurd to expect better. I'm just guessing.

I'm not going to get into a discussion of the various ways to measure bearing surface, but, IMO, there can be a lot of error induced by the way many people do it. I think you should be thrilled to have bullets that measure that close. And, you should be using those outliers to test and see what effects they have. That's as cheap a lesson as you're gonna learn. I recommend you don't shoot em all up at once so you have some for further testing.

I'll say this, if you ever measure a set of what I'd call "Bad" bullets, you'll be real happy to get another set like you have here.

Mike in Co
If you read the post by Charles E about 2 pages ago you will see we said the same thing but used different terminology.You want your bullets as alike as you can get them.I have seen 0.022 variance in bearing surface from the same lot# and posted about "Ogive Variation" in another thread before selling those bullets.Sometimes you buy 2500 bullets from the same lot and discover your going to have too many small groups.In cases like that I say "uncle" early on and sell them or give them away to a varmint guy(my uncle).If its 6mm and I don't own it its because I have yet to hear about it and this includes other countries.In my opinion its all about the bullets.If you have a barrel that doesn't like a particular bullet switch and switch fast.If it doesn't like several known good bullets it will never shoot.

Charles E
I think Jerry Tierney has definitely had "some success".He has the most Hall Of Fame points in the NBRSA longrange game.He coaches the U.S.A. womans team,he reset at last count over 26 National highpower records and he has 3 Benchrest National Championships under his belt and he only started shooting with us a few years ago.The major bullet manufacturers have him test there bullets as do the major barrel manufacturers.At our last match(Jerry Won)he shot 3 different Berger X bullets.There is a reason why these bullet makers and barrel makers send him all these products.Nobody currently posting on this forum has the longrange benchrest credentials that Jerry Tierrney has regardless of the shooters club affiliations.
As to him leaving the forum thats a no-brainer.Most of the stuff posted here is non-sense and the few good posters aren't about to post anything worth reading yourself included as you have already stated that and now 4Mesh has to.

4Mesh
Phil we shoot 3 targets of lightgun at 5 shots each.We then switch to heavyguns and again we shoot 3 targets of 10 shots each.When the benches are clear we swap out the pits and the second relay comes to the line.We have 40 permanently covered benches so 80 shooters can shoot with only 2 relays but we rarely get more than 45 shooters.
At the Nationals we shoot 6 lightgun targets and 6 heavygun targets for a 12 target agg spread out over 3 days.This allows us 3 relays for 120 shooters but again we generaly have 43-47 shooters.
I do remember you going to bat and getting the dates out early and I think that is not only a plus for myself but for Williamsport as well.I work for the government and vacation dates are assigned by January 15th.I am an avid deer hunter and with my father now at 76 years of age it is hard to find a deer good enough for someone you respect that much that will hold still long enough for him to finaly shoot.I sent Henry Childs a video tape of bucks my father turned down with all of his comments unedited on it during the heat of the hunt.Luckily Henry's system didn't like the tape or his wife might have thought of us as unsavory.
Most of our wind runs from 3-9 or 9-3 in direction or 90 degrees to our bullets flight path.Our tallest mountain is Mount Whitney at 14,505 feet to our right and of course the Sacramento harbor is to our left at sea level.I don't know how that compares to Williamsport or Australia but if you've ever hear the term "Thermals" it is what Sacramento is all about 10 months out of the year.Reno,Nevada is even worse and the 50 bmg shooting 1.18 bc bullets at top velocity will get blown 60 inches with ease.
Getting a good relay draw is vital to doing well and I would have to say it is pretty rare when someone not shooting relay one on the first day wins.The reason for that is really simple.On the first day we usually finish at 2pm on the second day we finish about 12;30 and on the 3rd day we generaly finish around 11:30 - 11:45 AM.The guys shooting relay 2 or 3 the first day have the most wind.The guys shooting relay 3 on the last day have less wind than the guys shooting relay two on the first day.
Realisticaly going to Williamsport is a 8 day trip for myself.I would need 2 long days each way driving then the actual match itself.That means no Salmon fishing or no out of state deer hunt for that particular year but it is on my agenda.
Lynn aka Waterboy
P.S. Our match results are published in the NBRSA News and should also be published here and on the NBRSA website on the homepage here.

You're saying that it is absured to believe that a variation of .011" in the lenght of the bearing surface will have no effect on the bullet once fired?
I'm trying(and failing), to get anyone here to demonstrate or even discuss the effects of bearing length variance.
I'm trying to goad anyone into discussion about the challenges of isolating bullet measurements into the actual parts of concern.
Without a consensus(with atleast a rational basis), thread starter's quest for tolerance could never really be declared, right?

You threw a flag on what you measured, but did not mention the actual results of it. You did not declare an acceptable tolerance with a basis for it. You merely(and poorly) smeared the quality of a bullet brand.

What I see about this thread, and common to this shooting community(competitors), is a preponderance toward shortcuts.
It seems here that many things are recognized for potential problems or gain. Yet the nearest half-measure is typically accepted as appropriate..
You haphazardly compare bullets, just as you do cases(weighing them instead of actually checking capacity), because it's EASY to do so. And with half-measures still representing 'extra efforts' expended, it's assumed to automatically provide the brunt of full effort gains.
With one shortcut leading to many others, eventually the herd moves in ways that no longer hold any basis.

Observe the herd wandering hopelessly around and away from thread starter's rather basic question...
Being a varmint hunter, among a category cursed here, it appears to me that you guys don't know much about the subject at hand.
That is all

Guys, I really do have a sense of humor.

I'll quote a few recent posts from another thread that really keep coming to mind.

If you can't keep them all on paper you'll just have to try harder next match. What next? would you like to get a trophy for just competing.
I have a Grandson who plays soccer in CA. Now remember I said Ca !!!! Whenever a goal is scored, the team that scores a goal gathers around the goalie and gives him a cheer and then the opposing team is allowed to score a goal so NOONE feels bad. All games end in a tie.

That's what I think every time I see these posts from people who ask xyz, then, someone has not given them printed instructions on how to do the best things possible, so they complain that "all these shooters are the same, they won't tell you anything".

If this were Nascar, do you think you could come up from the ARCA series, go to the team leading the points in the Cup series, and say, "Hey, would you mind telling me all the things you do to make that car go faster. I have the same engine block, tires, wheels, steering wheel and window net, but, mine isn't as fast as yours and it just takes too much of my time to go figure that stuff out".

What do you think they would say? Hmmm?

Let's say they're really really nice guys. They might look at the heads from your engine and say, "well, see this here, we don't do that". Now, that might have been a $100,000 statement, but you're not happy. You'd expect them to go take you to the flow bench and demonstrate this, oh, and by the way, use THEIR flow bench cause you can't afford that yet and damn, they're expensive. Etc, etc. Or, I don't have the stuff to build a flow bench so I expect you to offer yours any time I want it.

Are we on the same page yet? Starting to sound like soccer above? You don't see me complaining that people will not give away all their wind reading secrets do ya?

I already told you I do not use bearing surface, but that's not enough for you. You never bothered to read what I said or you'd have answered your own questions. I do not think I have the definitive answer, because I know for a fact there are shooters that shoot very small groups and do not do any of the things I do. They do something different. What? I do not know exactly, and I'm not about to ask em. I trust what they say, they have never given me reason not to. If the same statements came from someone I know to tell fish stories, I'd ignore them completely and assume it to be a lie until proven otherwise.

There are books out there telling you everything on a bullet that matters. The info pollutes this forum like the garbage in the Chesapeake Bay. If you believe what someone says has merit, or COULD have merit, then get off you duff and go find out for yourself. NOW, you have an answer that matters cause it's irrefuteable to you. You've PROVEN it to be true or false. Either way, you learned something. As your gun shoots better, the answers become easier to find and then you go back and RE-Do the tests, to see how it works in a better shooting system.

Here's how Harold Vaughn would do it.

Hmm, I have a tough problem and can't quantify it.

My variations are from 1-10, and I need to know what that does on the target.

Ok, make the variations 1-100

Ah, now I have 5" on the target at 100 yards.

I conclude that there's .5" of variation in the 1-10's. If I want to shoot groups of .1", I need there to be not much more error than 1-2. A bit oversimplified, but there you go.

Move on to the next problem.
------------------------
As I read this thread, I see about 6 months worth of testing to verify what has been given away to anyone who actually read what was said.

I would personally never sort to any group larger than .001, and usually I sort as close as my measuring equipment allows, which is usually closer than every .001. I never sort 1000 bullets cause I don't feel it's worth it till you get to about 2500. But, 1000 is a great place to start.

Scared out of my wits

4Mesh, sorry but I skipped over most of the posts including most of yours because it looked like an argument was starting up. I figured it was Mike in CO’s thread and tried to answer his initial question:
“for those that do such things...where do you draw the line?”

For that I got lambasted by one of them “Cursed Varmint hunters”, that I still can’t understand, and now it seems you want to jump on me for not going along with your hijacking of the thread..

Geez this 600/1000 yd forum is a ruff place.

Tricrown,

I wasn't referring to you at all. I was responding to Mikecr's statements about needing to goad information from shooters, and that nobody answers questions. I thought there were tons of answers in the thread, more than I'd expect to get. Nothing seems to be enough is all.

Fwiw, I think I've given the most useful information to the shooter so far. For that, I am reprimanded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tricrown, 4mesh sorts his bullets to shoot very small. He has many targets with 8 bullets in the two inch or under class. He prrobably measures his bullets at twenty places with gadgets he made to specificaly measure that place on the bullet. Personaly sometimes i think he goes overboard but he does well. Who else who take apart a gun that shoots 4 inches and change something to make it shoot better. I believe your bullets must be sorted to plus or minus .001. I keep mine within .001. I also keep primers, weight of bullet, and powder within 1 hundredth of a grain. Matt Kline

I do not think I have the definitive answer, because I know for a fact there are shooters that shoot very small groups and do not do any of the things I do. They do something different. What? I do not know exactly, and I'm not about to ask em. I trust what they say, they have never given me reason not to. If the same statements came from someone I know to tell fish stories, I'd ignore them completely and assume it to be a lie until proven otherwise.
Just cause he posted, I'll tell ya who I was talking about when I wrote that. DKHunt14. The most consistent'n'est, smallest shoot'n'est shooter I ever met in the sport. And he won't lie to ya. Now, maybe he might become friends with ya good enough to show you what he does, but you can rest assured he won't type it out here for everyone on the internet to see. Now, I'll never ask him what he does cause if the day ever comes where I beat him, I want him to know I didn't use his own secrets to do it. :D

I agree with Matt Keep them within .001 and also keep a record of which one's shoot better in your rifle, there is a difference in bullets that are 30 thou. longer or shorter. and fat or skinny ones make a difference. give you something else to worry about.

Joe Salt

Back