AR rules now final for IBS

AR rules

The object is to allow the AR platform to compete in matches.
At an 18lb weight limit it leaves plenty of room for those varmint type platforms that are sold. Given that it should be fun for new people shooting off the bench, I hope it flys, People with AR .s are in for some fun

It also its a testiment

Pete,

That was what I was getting at...

Seems like some folks are more interested in trying to derail the venue before it gets started, though.

Monte

as to how difficult it is to write rules that cover all the bases. This is why a rule book is a living document. Perhpas some of the holes can be filled before the season starts, eh?

capable means it functions in semi auto mode on match day, not able to after $300 worth of machine work.

SORRY DID NOT SEE YOUR NAME ON THE RULES COMMITTEE,
did i miss it somewhere.....????

you are missing the point that i couple of simple things can be done to a semi auto ar rifle to make it more appropriate for bench shooting....

both have been discussed here: turn off the gas system( rotate gas block) and remove ejector. both are simple task that are easily reversable....

so the question still is there: capable means ?

mike in co

Are there any weight restrictions? Or did I not see it in the rules?

there is no mention of weight limit in the rules as published.

mike in co

guess i was typing when the above was posted.....

AR Rules

Please keep in mind that a referee has the authority to say, "Show me".

If one is shooting Varmint Hunter, the ref can ask to see that the follower moves. A ref can ask to weigh a BR rifle at his/her discretion. A ref has the authority to say, “Show me semi-automatic fire”

One might ask, what is “semi-automatic”? Short answer, “does the bolt cycle automatically”.

Adrian

Bob

The "must be capable of semi-auto fire" pretty much says it has to have a magazine, and all of the functional parts of the upper and lower.

If you can figure out a way to get all of that into a a typical Benchrest Stock, go for it..........jackie

http://ar15woodstocks.com/
http://ar15woodstocks.com/colors.html

AR-15woodRRA.gif

WoodFurnitureSmallest.jpg

I guess you could but it seems like a waste of $1200-1400 to chop up a Leonard stock and glue pieces of it onto an AR.

well a waste if it was a mil spec chrome lined bore...

but,
if it was a custom chambered, match bbl.......well then you have a funny looking, well shooting, good tracking benchrest gun.

for the record i asked a stock company to sell me a "second" so i could do just the very thing....
no luck...

mike in co

My father had a great saying for things like this

I guess you could but it seems like a waste of $1200-1400 to chop up a Leonard stock and glue pieces of it onto an AR.

" That's like putting a Bay Window on an Outhouse". He woulda used it here too I think.

Of the wood stock kits I've seen, none had a free floating forearm.

I guess there is always Hydro-Dip.....

BL-AR%20007.CR2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really fighting the urge to say something politically incorrect about that gun. Let's just leave it at "I'm clearly not in the target market".

What target is to be used? Group-score-other?
Centerfire

If it's a Group match, use the Group target. If it's a Score match, use the Score target.

AR uses the same target as the BR guns. Just like 6X uses the same target.

I think it depends on what kind of match is being held. The ARs are shooting the same target as evryone else is. Score match=ARs shoot score...group match=ARs shoot group. It's just another class to be shot along with whatever is being contested.--Mike Ezell

Adrian beat me to it.

Back