30br-30ppc.....30ppc-30br

Jackie, I fire formed some Winchester 7.62x39 brass in the 30 Major chamber and you are right, it's just a modified version of a 30 Grendel. I have some Lapua 7.62x39 on order (or backorder) like everything else.
Billy Stevens reamed my chamber with his version of the 30 Grendel, he calls it the 30 Eargle, it’s very close to the 30 Major if not one and the same. I’ve been shooting it for about 6 months and I’m amazed how accurate it is. The guys I shoot with are shooting 30 BR’s and they are hard to beat, but I get lucky at times.
I think all 7.62x39 brass has large primers. Mike Ezell told me he had some old Remington 7.62x39 that used the small primer but have changed to the large. James

Hi James! As far as I know, the remington 7.62x39 brass is still small rifle primer. The Lapua 7.62x39 is large primer. As you know, the 6.5 Grendel brass is small rifle with the small flash hole. I've not tried the LRP lapua 7.62 brass but the remington 7.62 brass is not in the same league as the Lapua 6.5Grendel brass. This is fun stuff!:)---Mike Ezell

Last edited:
7.62 X 39 Lapua Brass

Robert Whitley has Lapua at a reasonable price if he hasn't sold it all. Just a week ago I got 200 pcs from him. See his contact info below.

Remington small primer brass is no longer manufactured but if you beat the bushes you might find some.

I have a 7.62 X 39 Improved and I recently acquired several hundred rounds of brass including Rem small & large primer, Win & Lapua.

Robert Whitley
AR-X Enterprises
215-348-8789
WWW.6MMAR.COM

Robert Whitley has Lapua at a reasonable price if he hasn't sold it all. Just a week ago I got 200 pcs from him. See his contact info below.

Remington small primer brass is no longer manufactured but if you beat the bushes you might find some.

I have a 7.62 X 39 Improved and I recently acquired several hundred rounds of brass including Rem small & large primer, Win & Lapua.

Robert Whitley
AR-X Enterprises
215-348-8789
WWW.6MMAR.COM

Joel, It appears you are right about Remington discontinuing 7.62 brass. I picked up a bag of 100 about 6 mos. ago,and prepped and loaded a few pieces. Had bolt click with mild loads in my 30 Major. It shot pretty good but just wouldn't stand any kind of pressure. I've still got most of it if you are interested in it.---Mike Ezell

30 Major

Hello Mike, I know some people are concerned with the magic 3000 fps. The 30 Major has no problems with that using N120 and with good results, however I shot some pretty good groups at a little over 2900 using Ronnie Cheeks new 9 ogive115's and a case full (32.2) of H4198. I haven’t shot any of the 115's using N120 (hard to come by right now), but I’ll get around to it and check back with you.
I just checked my records and after 18 firings the brass is still in good shape. I annealed after 10 firings and will probably change after 20 just for the heck of it. This round has really been a dream to shoot, a little more recoil that the PPC’s but still very manageable shooting free recoil in the heavy. James

I bet a 30PPC or 30 Major would be extremely nice to shoot in a 13.5 lb gun.

i've got the equivalent to the 30 major in a 10lb varmint hunter gun & it's great,would be even better with 3.5 extra pounds

7.62 X 39 - 30 Kern

7.62 X 39 original brass has a large rifle primer. I have three or four hundred rounds of (made by Lapua with a diffrent headstamp) 7.62 X 39. I believe the brass made particularly for PPC has a small rifle primer. 30 PPC and 30 Major were preceded (15 or 20 years ago) by a cast bullet cartridge called 30 Kern (blown out 7.62 X 39). The cartridge was made for cast lead bullets of about 215 gr. 17-1800 fps. It was shot to 200 yds. It was eclipsed by the 30 BR almost as long ago. this was when I was in Seattle. I still have a Mauser sporter chambered in 30 Kern.

Jeffrey Tooker

There is very little new

under the Sun. Most of the stuff that gets written up as being new has been done by someone before. Makes good reading for the folks who don't know that and good publicity for those who like Publicity. :p

When I have picked up enough of those 7.62 X 39 I am going to make them fit the chamber of my PPC and find out how much difference, if any, large primers make. :D

Last edited:

The 30PPC is!:) Again I have to thank Jackie for answering my questions during the build and brass forming. The rifle is the most accurate in my stable.

I however, am using RL7 and 110 grain Bergers. Running these at 2962 fps, and with this powder is a moderate pressure. For me to achieve this speed with 4227, the pressure gets well above 60K.

Mike

Rl-7

The 30PPC is!:) Again I have to thank Jackie for answering my questions during the build and brass forming. The rifle is the most accurate in my stable.

I however, am using RL7 and 110 grain Bergers. Running these at 2962 fps, and with this powder is a moderate pressure. For me to achieve this speed with 4227, the pressure gets well above 60K.

Mike

Is now one of the worst kept secrets in Benchrest! :mad:

30 BR From 308 Win

When I have picked up enough of those 7.62 X 39 I am going to make them fit the chamber of my PPC and find out how much difference, if any, large primers make. :D

This brings up a question that I have. Has anyone made 30 BR brass from Lapua 308 Win. I have plenty of LRP's and not a lot of SRP's. I have a 30 BR which is not for match use. Do LRP's used in place of SRP's change the powder charge and do they have any adverse affects?

Jeffrey Tooker

I however, am using RL7 and 110 grain Bergers. Running these at 2962 fps, and with this powder is a moderate pressure.
Mike

Mike
Nothin wrong with 110 GR Bergers they managed to take second place in the Score Shooter Of the Year competition last year in the hand of Ron Collins.

If I recall correctly.

Dick

Is now one of the worst kept secrets in Benchrest! :mad:

Yeah Pete, I remember when no one even thought of using it in the 30's. I've used it in the 30PPC and of course the 30BR with excellent results. If anyone is interested, I'd like to get rid of four unopened 5 pounders of the same lot. Can be delivered to the SS or the BUD, or a host of other matches.

7.62 X 39 original brass has a large rifle primer. I have three or four hundred rounds of (made by Lapua with a diffrent headstamp) 7.62 X 39. I believe the brass made particularly for PPC has a small rifle primer. 30 PPC and 30 Major were preceded (15 or 20 years ago) by a cast bullet cartridge called 30 Kern (blown out 7.62 X 39). The cartridge was made for cast lead bullets of about 215 gr. 17-1800 fps. It was shot to 200 yds. It was eclipsed by the 30 BR almost as long ago. this was when I was in Seattle. I still have a Mauser sporter chambered in 30 Kern.

Jeffrey Tooker

The two most obvious things that the 30 Major has going for it are Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass is top shelf and uses small primers and flash holes. The other is the PPC rim diameter. I dare say that a PPC would not be near what it is today without good brass. The same goes here IMO. I have no experience with cast bullets---Mike Ezell

Hi James! As far as I know, the remington 7.62x39 brass is still small rifle primer. Mike Ezell

i'm in the brass biz...rem 7.62x39 brass/ammo seems to come from three factories(not talking new brass). three very distinct head stamps. two of which have large primers and the last is small rifle .

mike in co

Pete

We all long for the "good ole days", before the internet, (sites like this and 6mmbr.com), when information was hard to come by, and new shooters had few places to go for reliable info, so they stumbled around in the dark, got discouraged, and quit.

If all of this is, as you say, "not new under the Sun", then why is it so many shooters have so little knowledge of any of it.

Sure, we all know that shooters have been playing around with these concepts for years. But, it seems the info got swept under the rug somewhere.

Many of those shooters who, as you say, "like publicity" spend their own money, and countless hours at the range developing viable options, and are willing to share the findings in open, frank discussions on Forums such as this.

The Romans, by all accounts, invented Concrete. But, the formula got lost during the Dark Ages, and 20th century man had to "re-invent" it..........jackie

PM sent

Yeah Pete, I remember when no one even thought of using it in the 30's. I've used it in the 30PPC and of course the 30BR with excellent results. If anyone is interested, I'd like to get rid of four unopened 5 pounders of the same lot. Can be delivered to the SS or the BUD, or a host of other matches.

HAl,

I just sent you a PM.
Thanks,

Pete

i'm in the brass biz...rem 7.62x39 brass/ammo seems to come from three factories(not talking new brass). three very distinct head stamps. two of which have large primers and the last is small rifle .

mike in co

From my experience, the Remington brass is not worth revisting unless it's much better than the last bit that I bought. It just would't stand any symblance of pressure. Albiet, the only 7.62 brass that I played with for the 30 Major was military and SRP Remington. The 6.5 Grendel Lapua and Alexander Arms brass is super. The Alexander brass is made by Lapua and has a diferent headstamp, but is otherwise the same as far as I can tell and am told by others. When it's available...the Alexander is quite a bit cheaper. Go figure. Alexander couldn't keep up before this ammo crisis we seem to be in, much less now.---Mike Ezell

Jackie,

We all long for the "good ole days", before the internet, (sites like this and 6mmbr.com), when information was hard to come by, and new shooters had few places to go for reliable info, so they stumbled around in the dark, got discouraged, and quit.

If all of this is, as you say, "not new under the Sun", then why is it so many shooters have so little knowledge of any of it.

Sure, we all know that shooters have been playing around with these concepts for years. But, it seems the info got swept under the rug somewhere.

Many of those shooters who, as you say, "like publicity" spend their own money, and countless hours at the range developing viable options, and are willing to share the findings in open, frank discussions on Forums such as this.

The Romans, by all accounts, invented Concrete. But, the formula got lost during the Dark Ages, and 20th century man had to "re-invent" it..........jackie

I think you will probably find that the folks who worked on making the stuff earlier spent their own money to do it as well. For one reason or another they 1. never got any recognition for what they had done and 2. Times changed and they quit using what they had discovered.

I'm sorry if you took offense at what I said as it was not directed toward you. That said, all of the Hot Stuff this year has been around for years and we have all just gotten around to using it. Most of us and I include you in those of us, don't have unlimited time and money to work on the equipment we use in out sport. We don't have any Factory Support, as the Pro Race teams do and we don't have the public support they do. Imagine what Hendrick's shops would do with Benchrest Rifles if they were being paid by say, Remington to win a few matches!

I first heard about the 30 BR in 1999 or so when I first got involved in Benchrest . Back then Randy Robinette had done all the work and had developed the standard that most of the reamers are made to. Some of us up here in Maine started using them in 2000. They have come to dominate Score Shooting in spite of all the Nay Sayers. We weren't the only ones shooting and working with them back then either. Ergo my comments.

I first remember seeing a report on here about some fellow winning a Group Shoot with a 30 BR in say 2003 or so. It was thought to be a fluke then. A few of the lads in Pa and MD have won the odd BR shoot now and then over the psat few years also. Some of them were some of the Nay Sayers in the past as well. :D

Last edited:
I think you will probably find that the folks who worked on making the stuff earlier spent their own money to do it as well. For one reason or another they 1. never got any recognition for what they had done and 2. Times changed and they quit using what they had discovered.

I'm sorry if you took offense at what I said as it was not directed toward you. That said, all of the Hot Stuff this year has been around for years and we have all just gotten around to using it. Most of us and I include you in those of us, don't have unlimited time and money to work on the equipment we use in out sport. We don't have any Factory Support, as the Pro Race teams do and we don't have the public support they do. Imagine what Hendrick's shops would do with Benchrest Rifles if they were being paid by say, Remington to win a few matches!

I first heard about the 30 BR in 1999 or so when I first got involved in Benchrest . Back then Randy Robinette had done all the work and had developed the standard that most of the reamers are made to. Some of us up here in Maine started using them in 2000. They have come to dominate Score Shooting in spite of all the Nay Sayers. We weren't the only ones shooting and working with them back then either. Ergo my comments.

I'm sure that Hendrick Motorsports would be happy to share with their competitors whatever they find that works...you know, for the publicity.:rolleyes:---Mike Ezell

Back