30br-30ppc.....30ppc-30br

jackie schmidt

As many know,I have been putting a lot of time in lately with 30 calibers, sort of my own "crash course".

I currently have two versions of a viable 30 caliber Benchrest Rifle, the 30PPC and the 30BR. I have now shot both enough to garner some info that might be worth sharing, and discussing.

I developed my 30PPC with this in mind. A 10.5 pound Rifle, (legal LV weight), minimum recoil, and based on a Rifle that has a PPC bolt face, something many shooters own.

We have built several, and quite a few shooters accross the country have also put together very competitive Rifles on this chambering.

There are a few drawbacks. Making cases is pretty labor intensive, we finally settled in on the proccess that first makes the 220 Russian into a 6PPC, and then a 30 caliber. This involves firing the case twice in a custom barrel,then neck turning for the .332 neck diameter.

We also settled in on 4227 as the powder of choice, mainly because it is the most accurate offerring. Howerver, pushing the 112 grn bullet at 2950 is hard on cases. I tried slower powders, but the accuracy potential simply did not seem to be up to the standards required. I do know of shooters who are using N120, and even 4198, (Mike Stinett). Mike gets great accuracy with what amounts to a full case of 4198 and a 112 grn bullet.

I have recently put a full effort into my 30BR, the one with the chamber length of 1.550. I followed all of the basic rules in loading, enough 4198 to push the 112 grn bullet 3000 fps. Accuracy is outstanding, (duh):D, and case life seems to be a non issue. Even though I made up 100 cases, I have put close to 300 rounds down the barrel using the same 15 cases.

I make my cases by blowing then forward, (hense the longer trim to length). I then neck turn to fit the .330 chamber, and they are ready to go tothe line.

The recoil difference in the 30PPC and the 30BR is not that much, since I am using the same 112 in both. Logic dictates that the larger case and slower powder is the reason for the great case life in the BR, it is an overall "milder" set-up.

Which is more accurate?? As many know, I put it on the line at the Texas Bluebonnet and shot the 30BR in both 100 yard classes. This of course, was a 10.5 pound Rifle as we shot LV and Sporter. I didn't win either class, but top five finishes in each showed that the Rifle is certainly capable.

I have yet to shoot the 30PPC in a group match. It does great in our Club Score matches, but that is not the same thing.

I probably never will. I have come to the conclusion, (based on my own experience), that the 30BR is a better choice. The cases are much easier to make, the case life is outstanding due to the milder tune at the same accuracy potential, and there is the option of going to a heavier bullet if the shooter so desired.

Of course, if a shooter wants a 30, and only has a Rifle with the PPC bolt face, the 30PPC will certaily get the job done. But as for myself,I think Iwill put all of my future efforts into the 30BR.

My next step is probably a Rail Gun Barrel. It will take me a while to get a 1-17 Krieger in 1.450 straight profile, but I think the accuracy potential warrants the effort.

As a final thought, I probably need to change my style of shooting when using the 30BR in LV-Sporter. I have always been a heads up-free recoil shooter. Maybe I am getting a little soft in my old age, but after a couple of aggs, you DO start to notice that thing hitting your shoulder.

I am not sure I can shoot as well hanging on to the Rifle. Maybe one of those de-excelerator pads would help.

I think this is facinating stuff. We have all assumed that a 6PPC was the cats meow for 100-200 yard Benchrest. But these 30 calibers are just as accurate, and from what I have witnessed, might be a tad easier to keep in competitive tune. I based that on the fact that I shot the two 100 yardages on separte days, with a 30 degree temperature swing, and I changed nothing.

These are just some of my own observations. I know the 30 Cal rules score, but perhaps it might do just as well in group if enough good shooters are willing to dive into the deep end.

Joe Krupa made a good observation when he stated that Score and Group were so specialized that it took an entire different set-up for each. Well, that is based on shooting the 6PPC in group, and the 30 in Score.

What about shooting the 30 in both. Time will tell......jackie

My next experiment will be a rebated rim 30BR for use on my PPC Viper drop port.

I will continue to shoot my 30PPC [ when my new batch of 112's get here ].

Jackie ...

That was a great write up. I've been playing around with the idea of converting one of my rifles to either the 30PPC or the 30BR. Now I've got some good information to make a decision. THANKS! :)

If you rebate the 30BR cases for your PPC bolt face drop port. You will have to open up the drop port hole were the brass falls. Once done it works fine.

Yeah, I had to open up the neck area of the port so the 30PPC cases would fall through. Until I rebate a BR rim I don't know if the 30BR case will work without more metal removal.

Hi Jackie.
Thanks for the report.
That answers some questions. I was also considering the 30PPC.
Tim B.

6mm bullets per 1000 = 260.00
30cal bullets per 1000 = 330.00

This is a big draw back for some. But the difference will probably be made up in barrel life and case life....as long as you have a good one.

Hovis

decelerator pad

Jackie,

I assume you can probably grind a decelerator pad yourself, but if your not inclined to do so Ian Robertson will likely grind one for you. I had Ian make a stock with a 13 1/2 inch pull for my girlfriend's 6ppc thinking it would fit her better - but it did not. To solve the problem, I had Ian grind a 1 inch decelerator pad to fit the stock (I sent him the aluminum buttplate and he used it as a pattern). My girlfriend has not been shooting so I've been shooting that rifle for the last year. The decelerator pad makes it (the 6ppc) a dream to shoot. I'm sure it would help some with a 30BR.

Ryan

Let's seeeee - - - -

This only took 8 or 9 years to congeal. Not bad, eh?

I bought a Hall B in a Scovill long Carbon fiber stock a couple of years ago. I found it so SEXXXY i just couldn't resist. It was a 6 PPC Dwight Scott had worked on. That Danged WOPPING action got me ! GRRRRR; I do digress - - .

I didn't fire a shot through the PPC barrel. It came off and a lovely shooting 1-17 Rock Creek went on er! I decided to rebate cases instead of opening the bolt face. It is a pain in the - - - - but, oops! I have a couple hundred rebated now so can go to the Bud ( a three yardage event) loaded with no worrys.

One way to rid one's self of any notce of recoil is to shoot a full 308 for a couple of years free recoil with just a thin aluminum butt plate which does not have chamfered edges. Recoil after that will not be an issue ;).

Yes, the brass life on a 30BR is nearly infinite so rebating the rims is a one time deal. I recently annealed all my brass so now I am back to the proper seating feel.

I am going to rebate only the rim [ not the extractor groove ] on the first 20 and see how it works. It's only about .015" on the radius which is not much.

Pad

I guess I am not speaking of the same thing when I say pad. What I want is one of those things that fits my shoulder. I think that is what Mike is using.

On the 10.5 pound Sporter, I have a high density foam pad that only weighs a couple of ounces. Anything more will put me over weight, and I have none to spare. It does help some, but there is still a pretty good shock when the Rifle hits my shoulder.

Trust me, I am not over stating this. The entire right side of my neck hurt untill Monday afternoon.

In "the heat of battle", you really don't notice that much. It's afterward, when all of the adrenaline had disipated, and you relax, that you know how much the thing is really hitting you.

Yeh, I know. "Butch up":D..........jackie

Jackie and others...

Why not use the 6.5 Grendel case? Forming is as simple as making 30BR brass, it has more capacity than the PPC and has a PPC rim diameter. Maybe the most important thing is that it shoots well too. ---Mike Ezell:)

This sounds like a good solution

Why not use the 6.5 Grendel case? Forming is as simple as making 30BR brass, it has more capacity than the PPC and has a PPC rim diameter. Maybe the most important thing is that it shoots well too. ---Mike Ezell:)

Does the case form to the 30 BR chamber or does it require a different reamer?

I see a number of people

I guess I am not speaking of the same thing when I say pad. What I want is one of those things that fits my shoulder. I think that is what Mike is using.

On the 10.5 pound Sporter, I have a high density foam pad that only weighs a couple of ounces. Anything more will put me over weight, and I have none to spare. It does help some, but there is still a pretty good shock when the Rifle hits my shoulder.

Trust me, I am not over stating this. The entire right side of my neck hurt untill Monday afternoon.

In "the heat of battle", you really don't notice that much. It's afterward, when all of the adrenaline had disipated, and you relax, that you know how much the thing is really hitting you.

Yeh, I know. "Butch up":D..........jackie

using those PAST shoulder pads that strap on. I believe they make a Magnum model which would probably spread the recoil out some. They do work pretty well. Or you could wear your Bra and one inside your shirt :D

Pete

No, the Grendal Case is too much smaller in diameter than the BR case. It is more like a longer body PPC case.

The reason I did not use the Grendal case is I just didn't want to. How is that for a reason.

But, it is an option, in fact, a good one. But I will let someone else do the testing on that. I think the combo of 4198 and the BR case at about 3000 fps will be hard to top.........jackie

From what I have observed

No, the Grendal Case is too much smaller in diameter than the BR case. It is more like a longer body PPC case.

The reason I did not use the Grendal case is I just didn't want to. How is that for a reason.

But, it is an option, in fact, a good one. But I will let someone else do the testing on that. I think the combo of 4198 and the BR case at about 3000 fps will be hard to top.........jackie

over the years, the 30 BR is as close to an Ideal chambering as one can get. It will shoot well with a number of powders and seems to stay in tune quite well.

Sometime before Shelley passed we had an email exchange about the 30 BR staying in tune. He told me that he had changed his mind and thought they did slip out of tune sometimes so was going to install a tuner. Don't know if he did but there is a spate of them now here in the East; tuners that is.

Jackie,

I assume you can probably grind a decelerator pad yourself, but if your not inclined to do so Ian Robertson will likely grind one for you. I had Ian make a stock with a 13 1/2 inch pull for my girlfriend's 6ppc thinking it would fit her better - but it did not. To solve the problem, I had Ian grind a 1 inch decelerator pad to fit the stock (I sent him the aluminum buttplate and he used it as a pattern). My girlfriend has not been shooting so I've been shooting that rifle for the last year. The decelerator pad makes it (the 6ppc) a dream to shoot. I'm sure it would help some with a 30BR.

Ryan

What is a decelerator pad ? I have not heard of that before.

Back