Texas For the Holiday

Pete Wass

Ms J and I arrived in San Antonio yesterday about noon and hastened over to Harmons BBQ in Cibolo for lunch, on the advice of a close friend. It was without a doubt, the best BBQ I have had to date! I told a guy working there that we had come all the way from Portland, Maine just to have lunch there. He was a bit astonished but very pleased that we had come and were pleased with the food.

We ended up in Rockport at about 6:00 and are going to stay another day here before heading South. Fun way to spend a Holiday Weekend; of course, every day is a wekend for she and I now :). Except for Medical Appointments :(.

More tomorrow!

Pete

Pete,
I hope you have a great time. I am heading out Friday morning with 2 Grandsons and my Brother and his Son to do a little deer and feral hog hunting over the weekend.
Butch

Pete
Enjoy yourself and don't forget to have fun.
Hopefully we will honor you with some good South Texas weather.
Ted

Pete ...

I don't know how you're traveling but if you head north of Austin on I35 to Round Rock make a small departure slightly northeast on Highway 79 to Louie Mueller's Barbecue in Taylor.

Here's the address: http://www.louiemuellerbarbecue.com/. They've got some excellent BBQ and were featured on the Food Network a few months back.

My brother drove down from Alaska to sample his fixings, among other things, after we spent a day at the range. :)

Yep we've got good BBQ joints all over Texas. There was a dive down in Corpus that the boss and I used to hit but I can't remember the name of it to save my life that was real good. Cooper's over in Llano is top notch in my book, they've opened some others in other parts of TX. but I've just ate at the original one in Llano. Here's a old BBQ story from my travels. I was out in North Carolina back around 81-82 on business. A couple of the guys there said let's go get some lunch at this real good BBQ place so we head out. We come up to this place that looks like a old barn about the fall down with tables under the trees out front, cars and trucks parked all over so looks like my kind of place. Anyway, there these two old Black Gentlemen working the counter and I'm eye balling the menu when I say do y'all got any brisket. They look at each other and the one says, boy you must be from Texas. I said I am, then they informed me they don't do no brisket there in NC. I guess they do now maybe but apparently they didn't back then.

Dang I'm hunger now. I'll be passing through Llano tomorrow, think I stop at Coop's for some Ribs.

Les

Welcome to Texas

How far south are you heading, Pete?? You can still drive for quite few hours and still be in Texas.

Are yu coming back North through Houston. You will never see a bigger, sprawling mess, makes San Antonio look like a village........jackie

Day 3

We cruised on down to South Padre Island today after looking at the world's largest Live Oak on Goose Island and the Fulton Estate house. It's quite a drive down here but not that bad. We have booked a room for three nights. I don't know where we will find Turkey ( Salvation Army?) tomorrow but we will try. A friend who lives across the bridge has a tour set up for us Friday and we will decide where to go after that.

I don't know if we will get over to Houston Jackie. We have all next week to fill in with something. We don't have any agenda after Friday. Ms J wanted to see the bridge with all the bats under it ( she's got a thing for bats!) over in Austin but on second glance, the book said it was a summer time thing. I will pay attention to the BBQ suggestions and hit them if we get close enough.

I was surprised to see so much lush country between Corpus and this area. ( why isn't there any development in all that area?) I exected it to be more desert-ish. A nice ride down at any rate; great roads, ( 3 Pot Holes) with a couple of unique things. The Nuvi kept telling us to take the exit left to keep on the highway and it is legal to cross the medium and the crossings are marked. In the North it is a crime to cross them! Lots of cops though! I have been running 5 MPH under everywhere :).

Last edited:
Lots of Pretty Scenery

I go to Corpus pretty often, There is a really nice FM Road just out of Refugio, (pronounced "refurio"), that goes through Copano Bay that has some great wildlife. Lots of ducks and geese.

If you make it up this way, Galveston is a great attraction, they have pretty well got things straightenned out after Hurricane Ike hit a little over a year ago. Great historical district, they have the Tall Ship Elisa that you can tour.

If you want a great boat ride, take the Bolivar Ferry across the Bay to the Bolivar Penensula. Takes about 20-30 minutes. You can park your car and just go as pedestrians. Cost nothing.

If you happen to get into Houston, give me a call, (832) 689-4157, we can do lunch. I will give you a tour of my shop as well.We are out on the far East Side off IH-10..............jackie

Thanks Jackie

I go to Corpus pretty often, There is a really nice FM Road just out of Refugio, (pronounced "refurio"), that goes through Copano Bay that has some great wildlife. Lots of ducks and geese.

If you make it up this way, Galveston is a great attraction, they have pretty well got things straightenned out after Hurricane Ike hit a little over a year ago. Great historical district, they have the Tall Ship Elisa that you can tour.

If you want a great boat ride, take the Bolivar Ferry across the Bay to the Bolivar Penensula. Takes about 20-30 minutes. You can park your car and just go as pedestrians. Cost nothing.

If you happen to get into Houston, give me a call, (832) 689-4157, we can do lunch. I will give you a tour of my shop as well.We are out on the far East Side off IH-10..............jackie

We will do it if we get over that way. We had to take a ferry across an inlet at Aransas. Short ride; two minutes; free also and strange. There are so many bridges here I can't see why they don't have one there. I am also surprised there are NO TOLLS down here. Up north the tolls will break ya! Great roads too down here; of course you don't have frost !

Later,

Pete

Broke down

My boat trailer broke an axle on that ferry back in 1970. It took us five round trips beore we were able to patch the axle and clear the right lanes. Sent to town for a new axle assembly before I dared make the return trip. Besides, they wouldn't let me on the ferry without proof, I had replaced the axle.

Pete
Unfortunately as folks from the California and other states move to Texas they bring their strange ways with them and we are now getting more toll roads in Texas.
About 2 weeks before the election I was behind a car on Loop 1 in Austin and I noticed the car in front of me had a bumper sticker that read "Texans for Obama".
I looked at the license plate and you guessed it! It was from California.
I'm sorry but if you haven't lived in a place long enough to get your plates changed you shouldn't be allowed to have a "Texans for anything" bumper sticker. It should be against the law.
Now don't take that to mean that I don't welcome you to Texas because I do.
Welcome and please enjoy the weather which should be a tad milder than you have at home.
Ted

"I don't know where we will find Turkey ( Salvation Army?) tomorrow but we will try."

Pete, Tannery Loop. We sit in an hour. Am sure you can find some turkey meat somewhere nearby. Happy Thanksgiving.

Welllllllll

We opted for a Whataburger instead of Turkey on Thursday. We drove up to San Antone yesterday from Mission. Kept trying to see the Rio Grande but gave up just past Mission and headed North. We did see the porus fence and called it good enough!

Great roads here! I have seen only about 5 pot holes in 900 miles or so and they weren't deep enough to call pot holes. Another real nice thing is under the bridges of the major roads there is a legal "Turnaround" that doesn't require stopping; just whip right through it and you are on your way again. I must say they have traffic figured out pretty good down here. The Highway folks from up North should take a tour down here. They might learn something! I wonder if the Feds get involved in the rules on Interstates?

We are heading up to Canyon today to see a big natural monument there then back to see a friend on the way back. It should prove to be interesting. We will have seen a lot of Texas by the time we leave in another week.

Bill Miller's was good last night but not as good as the place in Cibolo; not close, actually :) but better than the average I must say.

So off we go to Canyon. More later.

Pete & Ms J

Pete...

We opted for a Whataburger instead of Turkey on Thursday. We drove up to San Antone yesterday from Mission. Kept trying to see the Rio Grande but gave up just past Mission and headed North. We did see the porus fence and called it good enough!

Great roads here! I have seen only about 5 pot holes in 900 miles or so and they weren't deep enough to call pot holes. Another real nice thing is under the bridges of the major roads there is a legal "Turnaround" that doesn't require stopping; just whip right through it and you are on your way again. I must say they have traffic figured out pretty good down here. The Highway folks from up North should take a tour down here. They might learn something! I wonder if the Feds get involved in the rules on Interstates?

We are heading up to Canyon today to see a big natural monument there then back to see a friend on the way back. It should prove to be interesting. We will have seen a lot of Texas by the time we leave in another week.

Bill Miller's was good last night but not as good as the place in Cibolo; not close, actually :) but better than the average I must say.

So off we go to Canyon. More later.

Pete & Ms J

if you get back to San Antonio, by all means try the OLD RHINE STEAK HOUSE. It's downtown near the riverwalk and mall, Alamo, etc. Makes Ruth Christs' look like a hamburger joint.

Lubbock today

We drove up to Lubbock yesterday and spent the night here. She who must be obeyed decided we would look at the sights here today ( Buddy Holley's stuff and a Windmill museum:) and then off to see a friend tomorrow. Was suppose to dip to 28* here last night! BURRRRR.

So, more tomorrow.

P&J

From Port Aransas to Lubbock in a Couple of Days.

You are covering a LOT of territory. Any other place, and you would have already crossed three or four state lines.:D

I sent a lot of money to Lubbock, they have "quaint" little university there called Texas Tech. I put both my Daughter and Son in Law through there over about an eight year spread. They should name a building after me for all the cash I sent to that place.

Enjoy Texas. As you have seen, there is a lot to see........jackie

Back