Palmetto Range Pictures

P

Paul Bendix

For people shooting at the Worlds this Summer and have never been to the Palmetto Range. Frank Jarvis sent me these pictures.

RBA_10-1-05_009.jpg

RBA_10-1-05_0071.jpg

RBA_10-1-05_008.jpg

Hope the pictures help.
Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete,
Not sure what “Room on Benches” you are talking about??
Palmetto has probably some of the largest benches in Eastern US.
One of the best features is that a Left handed & Right handed can shoot next to each other and there is room to walk between them! There are very few ranges where that is possible!
That is one of the features that make this a great range for a matche Large or Small!
Not to mention parking for probably 200 cars or RV's almost within spitting distance of the firing line.
Doug

he may mean the benches not only look goofy but to someone used to the traditional style there is not much room at all for the right handed shooter to have anything on the right side, that may have been what he meant, I do not like those style of benches at all
Jefferson

First of all, I will state that I think the U shaped bench is a bad idea. Second, looking at the picture, there appears to be no bench top, left of the line from behind the front rest to the rear bag. Is that the case, if so, where does one place their Live Rounds if they are shooting a rifle with a left loading port?

There benches appear to have been designed assuming that everyone shot R R or LL rifles and Three, the benches appear to be longer than necessary. I shoot at a couple of ranges that have U shaped bench tops. I have yet to shoot on one that was Shooter Friendly. Just look at where the spotting scope is positioned, for instance.

Last edited:
Pete,
Not sure what “Room on Benches” you are talking about??
Palmetto has probably some of the largest benches in Eastern US.
One of the best features is that a Left handed & Right handed can shoot next to each other and there is room to walk between them! There are very few ranges where that is possible!
That is one of the features that make this a great range for a matche Large or Small!
Not to mention parking for probably 200 cars or RV's almost within spitting distance of the firing line.
Doug

Isn't this the range that is also designed so that there is no room to use backers? I have yet to see a range where RH and LH shooters couldn't shoot back to back, assuming they both weighed less than 400. Bigger isn't better when it comes to benches. Designing the RIGHT SIZE, user friendly Bench is what matters. There are several good designs out there but these aren't among them, IMHO.

Last edited:
Pete, not sure what you mean by "backers"? However, the benches there have plenty of room on them for all your gadgets and required equipment. If you are a right handed shooter there is enough room to put your widescreen TV just to the left of your shooting position. If you are a left handed shooter, just to the right of your shooting position is enough room to put your blender and microwave. The best of both worlds, at it's finest! Thumper

Isn't this the range that is also designed so that there is no room to use backers?

Wrong again Pete.
That was Piedmont in NC and it was not designed intentionally with no room for backers, it was a situation they had after some range reworking which they have since rectified, and rather quickly I might add. They merely were completely honest about it and said they could not hold IBS grand aggregates for one season until they did some additional earth moving.

Dick

I have yet to see a range where RH and LH shooters couldn't shoot back to back, assuming they both weighed less than 400.

Pete,
I really thought I had seen you at Thurmont, Benches 3,4,5 and 7.8.9 at Thurmont have that problem. Thats why I have to go to quite a bit of effort to keep The Left handed shooters together.

I will give you one thing though I do not personally like U shaped benches but if a club has them thats their business.

Last edited:
I have yet to see a range where RH and LH shooters couldn't shoot back to back, assuming they both weighed less than 400.

You must not have shot at the old Kettlefoot range. Benches the size of postage stamps and .........well, a pic is worth a thousand words. Don't know if their new range is any better. Haven't been back.

358588393.jpg

I shot at Palmetto some years ago and do not recall any problems with the benches. (Now the Cottonmouths are another story). Just kidding ! It's great that Palmetto is willing to put forth the great effort required to hold an important match such as the WORLD's.

Wrong again Pete.
That was Piedmont in NC and it was not designed intentionally with no room for backers, it was a situation they had after some range reworking which they have since rectified, and rather quickly I might add. They merely were completely honest about it and said they could not hold IBS grand aggregates for one season until they did some additional earth moving.

Dick

My regrets on relying on my memory, albeit slipping at a rapid rate. The Irish bubbles up too often sometimes. I try not be a prisoner to it but it is always there. At any rate, it was a question, not a statement.

Last edited:
I've shot at Palmetto also and the benches are plenty big enough. I'm a little guy though, 6' , 205lbs:) Now the wind, that's a another story altogether. I enjoyed shooting there. However, I stayed in the Motel from He$$, and I'd never do that again. Glynn probably remembers it:)

Seems some redneck morons were celebrating their grandpa and grandma's getting married after living together 40 years, or something like that. The police had to clear 4 rooms of 'em 'em out after letting them keep us awake til 4:00 AM.

Every range has it quirks, wind and benches, oh yea then there`s the WIND, but the best part of shooting is if you DON`T LIKE IT, YOU DON`T HAVE TO SHOOT THERE!!!!
To me it`s about the freinds you make and the fun you have with all the challenges, but that`s just me!
Pete

Hya Guys,
I haven't been on here for a while and just seen this thread and the pictures that have been supplied.

I was meant to have been coming to this event but due to ill health, it has meant that I've had to pull of the British squad, on looking at these pictures I have a few questions.

1. I have not seen this type of bench before and being wheelchair bound and not the only person, I wonder if these benches are disabled friendly. what i mean by that is that the height is something for a disabled shooter that has been taken into consideration in past events. for one disabled shooter a platform had to be made to raise them up slightley as the bench was to high for them.

2. I see this back to back shooting, this would not work with a disabled shooter as they would need the space to wheel themselves in.

3. On the photo from the targets, I only count fifteen benches, is this picture just one of the ranges that will be used or is that it for the entire event?

4. Will there be some place to store rifles and equipment for the visiting teams, i think there will be over a hundred international shooters coming to this event and will need a secure place to store the gear at the end of each day.

I know that I'm not coming to this event but this kind of information is important for the International shooters to have and also for any other disabled shooter as there is a few of us around from each country that maybe are coming to this event and need to know that their si facilities for them to user like the benches and obviously toilets.

AndyD

Kent, i remember

What a night at the Motel. I had evil thoughts. I bet William Poff remembers, as well. We rode to the range together the next morning. Kinda hard to catch quick wind shifts without any sleep. I'm sure our visitors from abroad will be well treated at the Range. All the best, Glynn

PGC bathrooms are ADA compliant and the benches will work. We also have a larger/lower wooden bench that will be available if needed. The club is currently building additional benches for the match. The match staff, additional storage, and everything else is not being supplied by the Palmetto Gun Club. We will have a clean, mowed, safe place for the shooting. Everything else is out of our control. The benches in question are very solid and to me that is the main question that should be asked. The tops are almost 600 Lbs of concrete with steel rod on block legs that have filled (concrete) cells. I am used to hearing complaints about the wind and mirage but not the benches. FYI the cotton mouths are no longer a problem since the gators ate them.

PGC bathrooms are ADA compliant and the benches will work. We also have a larger/lower wooden bench that will be available if needed. The club is currently building additional benches for the match. The match staff, additional storage, and everything else is not being supplied by the Palmetto Gun Club. We will have a clean, mowed, safe place for the shooting. Everything else is out of our control. The benches in question are very solid and to me that is the main question that should be asked. The tops are almost 600 Lbs of concrete with steel rod on block legs that have filled (concrete) cells. I am used to hearing complaints about the wind and mirage but not the benches. FYI the cotton mouths are no longer a problem since the gators ate them.

Hi Proneshooter,
Are you saying that this is the main range that is being held for the whole event, and will it be back to back shooting as describe by another member of the forum? Also are you saying that there is no storage for shooters equipment and will have to take back to the hotel each day? Who is supplying match staff for the event if the club is not supplying it or is down to the shooters?

AndyD

This thread is getting out of hand and a little negative for my liking gentleman, there is a Match Director (Craig Young) organising everything as per WRABF requirements, there will be over 30-40 and 3 relays on additional new concrete benches so no one will be sharing a bench, there will be on site storage for competitors guns, toilets, and vendors selling gear etc etc dont be doomsdayers for an event that the USA should and will be proud to have held.

Back