NBRSA and good standing members

I know that organizations are resistant to change but if the practice day routine was changed so that before anyone was allowed to go down range, bolts would be removed and every one had to move at least five feet to the rear of the shooting benches, and stay there while the range was cold, I doubt that this would ever happen again. IMO the problem lies with letting people stay at shooting benches during a cease fire. No one could approach a bench except to walk between them, not to pack or unpack or any other reason. Also, someone would have to be designated to keep an eye on the line during the entire time of a cease fire.

Boyd, although I see something like this being a help, I am not certain that it stops what has happened to myself and others. We load, walk up to the firing line expecting to shoot, sit down and shoot. At most ranges the "hot range time" is multiples longer than the ceasefire. One tends to get into a routine of loading a few rounds, shooting, leaving the firing line, reloading, returning, shooting and so on. At times you will be the only person shooting (especially in the late afternoon/evening) so if you approach the benches it would be quite normal to sit down and shoot despite a ceasefire. If you are loading a ways back from the firing line you can miss a range call and not see the lights then you are at risk of shooting at the wrong time and with potentially devastating results.

I am been campaigning for changes to the setup at STL for a long time before my misfire. I never ever thought it could possibly happen to me. Yet, I felt victim to the very issue I was wanting to prevent. All I want is for it to get better. I still feel that bright flashing LED lights in front of your bench on the upright would be extremely difficult to miss. But it would also be good to consider as many ideas as possible.

Mr. Harris,

Unless you are a member at BRRC, you don't have standing to campaign for anything at that club. You are a guest when shooting there.

When I call for a ban from "Benchrest", the context is clear, I am referring to BRRC, not the game as a whole. That falls to your comrades and other ranges.

As for the point, I get it, somehow you want us to accept that your negligent discharge is okay because it is a common enough occurrence.

Shooting during a cease fire is flatly not acceptable. Doesn't matter whether you are sitting at the bench, approach the bench from down range, or from behind the benches. The venue does not matter. The event does not matter. Whether a BR shooter is really, really concentrating does not matter.

The warning lights in place now are adequate.

Last edited:
Mr. Harris,

Unless you are a member at BRRC, you don't have standing to campaign for anything at that club. You are a guest when shooting there.

When I call for a ban from "Benchrest", the context is clear, I am referring to BRRC, not the game as a whole. That falls to your comrades and other ranges.

As for the point, I get it, somehow you want us to accept that your negligent discharge is okay because it is a common enough occurrence.

Shooting during a cease fire is flatly not acceptable. Doesn't matter whether you are sitting at the bench, approach the bench from down range, or from behind the benches. The venue does not matter. The event does not matter. Whether a BR shooter is really, really concentrating does not matter.

The warning lights in place now are adequate.

Mr Hide Behind My Login; How sweet and inviting you are to your guests. Type of shooter I want to spend lots of time with. I have to say that I have found your fellow members a lot nicer to spend time with. I take it you are incapable of giving us detail on your wild claim that I was lying, exaggerating, misleading etc etc. Typical non-constructive garbage.

I find it hard to believe people can find an excuse to shoot during a cease fire. Old, hard of hearing, by yourself or any other excuse just does not fly with a potential death at stake. It is the shooters responsibly to determine a hot range. Go look for a green light.

LED blinking lights

Good information. Would you please mind posting a photograph of your shooting line so that we can see what see what is not working for you guys?

Chris

6z643a.jpg

Attachments

• D7DBC210-596A-47E1-B2FB-F2510D0ACECD.jpeg
    D7DBC210-596A-47E1-B2FB-F2510D0ACECD.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 268

Chris, the picture that Gary posted is our home Range, The Tomball Gun Club.

As you can see, the lights are very visible. You just about have to be blind not to see them. But regardless, a shooter still has to look. Yes, I have seen fellow shooters walk to the line, put a rifle in the bags, sit down, and be to the point of inserting a bolt untill someone says, "hey, the Range is cold".

The fact is Shooters, (Benchrest shooters in particular), do get so wrapped up in their own world that they can become oblivious to their surroundings.

In the case of Tomball, it's not the fault of the Range and the cease fire system.

Chris, the picture that Gary posted is our home Range, The Tomball Gun Club.

As you can see, the lights are very visible. You just about have to be blind not to see them. But regardless, a shooter still has to look. Yes, I have seen fellow shooters walk to the line, put a rifle in the bags, sit down, and be to the point of inserting a bolt untill someone says, "hey, the Range is cold".

The fact is Shooters, (Benchrest shooters in particular), do get so wrapped up in their own world that they can become oblivious to their surroundings.

In the case of Tomball, it's not the fault of the Range and the cease fire system.

Thanks. Those are single lights. What I was referring to are these thin LED lights strip that have the LED pods running up and down the strip similar to a police car light. They move very fast and are very bright. Basically impossible to not catch your attention.

Good things is that all your lights are at least at eye level which is good.

Thanks for posting!

Red Lights

If we replaced the red lights, at the range, with red signs, like the one below. Somebody would claim they didn't see the sign.

It happens everyday on our streets and highways.

yayGfkU.jpg

Glenn

Back