MY 7mm Barrel SUCKS!!!

Try 168 berger classic hunters. I know the BC is down to 0.566 but BC isn't everything. If your barrel is good I would expect it to shoot lights out with those pills.

Last edited:
Just a thought..

Jackie,
I have never played with the 284 case, but I have used 7 mm Rem Mag and WSM. I do not advise using the WSM case as it is overbore and you will need to set the barrel back after 450 rounds. But I had a lot of fun with the Rem Mag case, using 180 VLDs, H4831, 210 primers and all with 9 twist. Rounds were traveling in the 2950 range. Barrel life was about 1200 rounds.
I do not have any experience with the Hybrids.

Good luck.

Danny

On the advice of several long range shooters, I bought a .314 chucking reamer and reamed the neck of my chamber out .001. The loaded rounds now have a full .003 total clearance in the neck.

It was easier for me to do that than re-turn all 100 cases, that have all been fired at least once. I initially turned the necks to .0134 wall thickness.

Last edited:
Wait for warmer weather??

The Berger Twist Calculator shows a 9 twist would be fine at 70F, not so good a 40F. The 180 VLD shows stable at 40F.

The Berger Twist Calculator shows a 9 twist would be fine at 70F, not so good a 40F. The 180 VLD shows stable at 40F.

I went to Tomball yesterday, shot at 200. It was in the mid 70's.

I worked with 180's, and got them shooting pretty good at 200 yards. I shot several .400 to .450 groups over a five flag set.

The only drawback is when I take the velocity over 2800. It will spit two shots out of a five into the 1 inch range. The primers were really flat, and the bolt lift a tad stiff. Too hot.

A velocity of 2760 FPS average gave the best results. That was with 55.0 grns of 4831 SC, jumping the bullets around .020. The last two groups were solid "fours". And those 10 shots had an extreme spread of just 12 FPS.

We are heading up to Walker County tomorrow to shoot at 400 yards. It is supposed to be in the 70's, but rainy and windy, but we are going anyway. I will let you know how it does.

Last edited:
Several of us went to Walker County Monday, a beautiful day to shoot. Light winds, 75 degrees. I set out five flags, evenly spaced to 400 yards.

I shot darned near 80 rounds, trying every conceivable combination shooting 3 shot groups with 180 Bergers, 168 Bergers, and 162 A-Maxes.

This thing just will not shoot. The load that shot 4 tenths Saturday at 200 was locked into 2 1/2 inches, mostly verticle, at 400 yards. I tried jamming, off jam, just touching, took the velocity from 2750 past 2900.

Something is wrong with this set-up, and I'm not wasting any more valuable range time messing with it. I am just going with the 6BR, which on the same Rifle shot fantastic.

Defeat, I surrender.

jackie,
did you ever measure the twist
to see what the actual number is ?

but good choice going with a 6br
for 400 yards.

Several of us went to Walker County Monday, a beautiful day to shoot. Light winds, 75 degrees. I set out five flags, evenly spaced to 400 yards.

I shot darned near 80 rounds, trying every conceivable combination shooting 3 shot groups with 180 Bergers, 168 Bergers, and 162 A-Maxes.

This thing just will not shoot. The load that shot 4 tenths Saturday at 200 was locked into 2 1/2 inches, mostly verticle, at 400 yards. I tried jamming, off jam, just touching, took the velocity from 2750 past 2900.

Something is wrong with this set-up, and I'm not wasting any more valuable range time messing with it. I am just going with the 6BR, which on the same Rifle shot fantastic.

Defeat, I surrender.

+1 on going back to the BR. big calibers are hard to control on the bags. to 600 i would not go any bigger than a Dasher. When they shoot 1/2" and under good barrel, and a great barrel may get in the .3's........ jim

Jackie,

If you don't plan on doing anything with that 7mm barrel, make me a good deal on it. I've always wanted to crank out a M1a barrel in 7-08, just too cheap to buy a new barrel for a project that I could conceivably screw up. Your barrel should finish easily into a 22 inch M1a barrel. Most likely I will just shoot 140 class bullets through it, 9T will be perfect.

Please send me a PM if interested in letting it go.

Thank you.

Regards,
Nez

Jackie,

If you don't plan on doing anything with that 7mm barrel, make me a good deal on it. I've always wanted to crank out a M1a barrel in 7-08, just too cheap to buy a new barrel for a project that I could conceivably screw up. Your barrel should finish easily into a 22 inch M1a barrel. Most likely I will just shoot 140 class bullets through it, 9T will be perfect.

Please send me a PM if interested in letting it go.

Thank you.

Regards,
Nez

Nez, I'm going to put the 6BR barrel back on for now, and later, when I haven't got enough aggravation in my life,:D, I'm going to cut a couple of inches off of the 284 barrel and give it another try.

Jackie,
I had a barrel like that. I tried to keep it as long as possible and only took 3/4" off the muzzle before I crowned. To make a long story short, I chopped off another 1/2" and it made a big difference. I guess I just wasn't back far enough to get passed the bell from lapping. I don't know if you did something similar or not but I'd try taking 1/2"-3/4" off first.

I've also had some luck with RE-19 in the 284.

Last edited:
Nez, I'm going to put the 6BR barrel back on for now, and later, when I haven't got enough aggravation in my life,:D, I'm going to cut a couple of inches off of the 284 barrel and give it another try.

Thank you for responding. Hope to hear some better news on that 284 after you give it another try.

Last edited:
I too have a 29" 6 BR 1/8 new barrel installed in my Bat action. The best I can do is .35/0,40 MOA @100 m. I tried every powder/heavy bullet combination , no luck.
Strangely, with Gentner 65 BT bullets, 5 shots goes thru one small hole @ 3450 fps

Now I cut another inch, lets see if this improve or become a tomato stake

Hi Tim

The heavies are Berger 108 BT, Sierra 107 MK. They shoot fine in another 6 BR/6Dasher. So, believe this barrel dont like these.:(

Liseo - double check the twist rate on that barrel. Alternatively, and I'm sure you know this, some barrels simply prefer one bullet over another.

Hi Wilbur

I have some Berger 90 grains and Sierra 95 MK too. Will try these, as for 300 yards fclass in good conditions I believe they work just fine( if they group well)

Jackie, I have a couple 284 an 284 based cartridges that prefer N-165 over anything else...Just a thought.

Liseo - I suppose the better question would be to ask....What is the actual twist rate of your barrel? The one that won't shoot heavier bullets well.

Back