Lathes

I would sure like to have that Big Grizzly gunsmith lathe. I think it looks pretty slick. I have a little jet and mine also leaks oil. Other than the oil leak, the metal it is made from is . Other than the metal not being worth a hoot, it doesnt weigh enough. If i spin a 4 jaw chuck very fast, with a barrel that has some run out. The machine will starts to dance. I really would like to have a heavier machine! I also want a machine with a deep chip tray. On the plus side, my machine does have good bearings, and it will chamber a very accurate barrel. It does do the job. Lee

jtg, I bought a PM1440 several years ago from Matt, and have had issues with oil leaks (anyone know of a chicom machine that doesn't leak oil?). I'm seriously considering selling it and replacing with something a bit better - does your 1340T leak, and are there any other issues you've had with it?

Flatlander,
Yes my PM 1340T lathe also leaks oil from the headstock and or gearbox. Drives me nuts. The heavy 10 I had never leaked like that. Wish i wouldn't have sold it to Shiraz Baoila but at least I hope he is enjoying it. I am now looking for another mint condition heavy 10 lathe again.
John

does anyone here have a Go709 14x40 gunsmithing lathe? What do you think about this machine? I like my little lathe but i need something with some more weight...... Lee

I've had a G0709 for a little over 2 years now and am happy with it. I am a retired machinist and use it for a hobby. If I was going to use a lathe to make a living I would definitely go with the 3 phase G0509G. Too much vibration to do a really smooth job on the smaller lathe. By the time you isolate the motor and or add a VFD you will wish you had just spent a little more money the first time. This is just my opinion so take it for what it cost you. Wayne

My machine does ok but it definitely doesn't weigh enough. I cant run very much speed. My hole unit weighs less than 900 pounds. 840 something i do believe. Lee

I have the G0509G and it's certainly heavy enough. When I was shopping, Shiraz told me the G0709G wasn't much of an upgrade.

No matter the hidden qualities of the 14 inch Grizzly gunsmith lathe, the external immediately visible quality is poor. I would be pissed off to order one sight unseen then have that machine show up.

The castings, engraved markings, and so on remind me of the early Chinese imports we saw 20 years ago when the low cost tool stores starting showing up.

Hey guys, is there a big difference in the lathes coming out of Taiwan vs China. Is the fit/finish or the quality of the steel any better in the Taiwan product?

Hey guys, is there a big difference in the lathes coming out of Taiwan vs China. Is the fit/finish or the quality of the steel any better in the Taiwan product?

In a word YES. But, as usual you get what you pay for. I got a good higher priced Taiwanese machine, mainly because the genuine harrisons/colchesters are so overpriced down here. You are basically paying extra $$ for the name. I also wanted the machine customised for my gunsmithing application, which they did at the factory for a small additional fee.

Basically, if you want to buy new then you are going to have to spend over US$10k if you want to avoid crap.

MSC have the Harrison M300 13x40 at about US$13k, and a good Taiwanese RML 14x40 (either PM, Kent, or 'South bend' or some of the more expensive taiwanese-sourced Grizzlys) i have seen listed at about US$14k or more....

I'm glad i didn't buy one of the chinese P.O.S. machines. Heavens knows i looked at enough lathes over a two year period...........

Dean.

Kiwi, thanks for the imput, we are just looking to buy one time.

You should try metal lathe or metalworking lathe as it is designed for precisely machining relatively hard materials. Using with the advent of plastics and other materials, and with their inherent versatility, they are used in a wide range of applications, and a broad range of materials.

I have a Harrison M300 that is circa 1990's. When I started up as a Firearms dealer (FFL)in the Uk. I decided to buy a good Lathe to thread barrels to accept sound moderators. I went to a guy that I had known for over 40 years. He is in the business of selling machine shop machinery.
On entering his premisses, I was pounced upon by his sales manager. Who asked what I was looking for. I told him I required a Lathe that I could work on Rifle barrels through the headstock. He must of made a quick assessment of me and headed towards some ancient old Lathes that looked like antiques, that were so cheap. He would show me a lathe and I would say too long a headstock. This went on till we reached a Harrison M300 that had just had the full works done. It looked like new. I asked how much for this baby. He was not far off £6000 if my memory serves me well. That was way out of my price bracket. Another few Lathes down the line I came to another M300, This Lathe was next in line to get a makeover. I asked the price for that one, he replied £3600 and if I wanted the Annilam DRO it would be another £600.
Now the guy that did the paint work on all of these machines was the Brother in law of my older Brother. When I mentioned there was quite a leap in price just to have a paint job done by this person. He asked how I knew the painter and I told him. He said then you must know the owner here, I replied that I did and was shuffled along a corridor to meet the owner. I got a warm welcome from the owner as he chewed on the end of a fat Cigar. Cut the long story short. The owner took me out to the Lathe that I liked that was £4200 with the DRO. He asked me how I would be paying for the machine. I said which ever way gives the lowest price I have to pay. We shook hands on a deal on that very lathe. £1800 for the Lathe and £300 for the DRO. I was a happy camper and was about to enter in to my, in at the deep end Lathe working experience. I got a traveling steady and a fixed steady a 6" 3 jaw and an 8" 4 jaw chuck, some other tooling which got me up and running.

I forgot to mention when he was telling me of the quality of the Harrison M300. He told me he had just sold one to Jeff Colby of Border Barrels and another well respected rifle builder that I new of ( he was actually the reason I bought the Lathe as I asked him to do my threading jobs and he agreed, only to let me down at the last minute). Well I was told that he was a regular at the place I bought my lathe from. The owner said to me. Yes he is a good machinist but the Lathe that I have just bought is better than any machine that he owns. He has Lathes that are mede in India that are inexpensive. The gears on his Lathes are half the thickness of the ones on the M300. It is only down to his machinist skills that he can turn out good work on them to the tolerances that he does.
That was some 12 years ago. I have not regretted buying the M300. I have done work on a Rifle on that Lathe and developed loads for that rifles that went on to winning a competition. The same rifle could not hold a 1.5" group before starting the work.

I have two older Tikka M55 rifles that are in need of new barrels. I have been slowly gathering the tooling to do the work myself. All I need now is the Reamers and the pilot Bushings. I have been mugged by customs and excise every time I order things from the USA. But I am getting there.

I just bought two used Mitutoyo 513 504 indicators for a great price from Fleabay UK. I have a supplier of the top barrel makers from the USA. He does not sell barrels to the public but is going to sell the odd one or two to me.

This is an exciting time for me. I hope my rifle re barreling turns out as good as the first ever loaf of bread that I made today. I baked it in a small Camp Oven on top of my Vermont Castings Encore wood burning Stove. The anticipation of watching this loaf of Bread baking, through the little window on the oven was nerve racking. I felt like an expecting father. Well, after 40 minutes, I pulled the best looking most delicious Loaf of Bread out of this little Oven and my Wife was gutted. she makes bread regularly and has never had the texture and consistency of my first Loaf. Guess that is a job less for her to do.

Once you hit 50 years of age. little things get you excited.

If someone in the states had the money to import a steel shipping container, they could look at Military Surplus sales in the UK. The UK military have steel shipping containers that are equipped Workshops with a Harrison M300 Lathe strategically placed within the Container. If anyone would like further info on these containers. I could go find a link to where they can be viewed and purchased.

I can dial a barrel in my Lathe that shows no movement on a 0.0001" indicator when you spin the chuck by hand in high gear. Takes me probably 4 times as long to dial the barrel in as you guys probably would take. I ain't working to a clock and my time is free.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr Redfox,
I really enjoyed your story and I really like the M300 Harrisons.

Thank you Mr Lambert. I am glad you enjoyed.
Living way up in the Hills. My Wife and I do not tend to see too many people. I sometimes get carried away with my Ramblings when writing on forums. It feels like we are isolated here, but we are not. I can be on Skype chatting with friends from all over the World. Computers are a great thing for keeping in touch. I do not know how our Fathers and their Fathers coped. They must have been in Bed at 8.30pm most nights.

I even won a competition on Facebook for a Ridgeline Nz jacket worth $100. I love Nz and hope to be able to go there some day. My only regret in life is not going there as a young man. They have a hunting Ethos that runs from the top of the country to the very bottom.
Anyways. I won the jacket in a valentines day competition. You were asked to say what your perfect Valentine day would be with your partner. Well I tell you some of these rough tough Kiwi Blokes got all soft at the thought of winning something and said how they would wine and dine their loved ones on the beach and watch the sunset in each others arms.

My answer was as follows. I do not need one day of the year for me to acknowledge the love that I have for my wife. I love her the same each and every day. P.S she might be reading this, so I had to make it kinda lovy duvy. I should also mention that she is 6 foot tall and weighs 210lbs and would probably benefit a mans XL jacket.

I got the email to say that I had won. I had to then explain to my wife what I had done. That XL fits me to a T. My wife is built like a fishing rod so it was two to three sizes too big for her.

Cheers

Back