Lathes

I bought the 0509G and couldn't be happier. My only complaints with the machine is the skimpy coolant pump/reservoir and the oversized 12" 4 jaw chuck, but they could be remedied by someone needing more/less. I don't need more pump to the point I want to spend that much money on an upgrade, and I bought a 10" 4 jaw even though what I really wanted was an 8". I'm happy with the quality of work the machine will produce and I'm building some really accurate rifles on mine.

I hear you. I had the same issue with the chuck on my G0509G lathe at home. I never used the large 4 jaw that came with it and threw on an 8" BUCK 4 jaw Adjust Tru scroll chuck. Gives me the best of both worlds.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2012/Main/645

You could also install one of these plates on a back plate :

33lovtl.jpg

You can easily make this, but they will also be available for sale through Grizzly and other dealers around the country in about a month. Bald Eagle is one of our brands. Bought the company a couple of years ago and folded it into Woodstock International, Inc. They have range bags, rests, reloading benches and a whole bunch of other shooting related stuff. New F-Class and Benchrest front rests with windage control will be hitting the market in about two months as well.

Shiraz, I bought the D1-6 spider back plate you offer and didn't like it. Bolts are too small and don't hold the work piece as rigidly as I'd like. Thread quality diminished. I called and asked your guys if they'd take back the brand new in the crate 12" 4 jaw chuck that came with my machine and send me a 10", keep the change of course and they declined so I bought a 10" off the web somewhere. I'd really like to have an 8" 4 jaw chuck but cannot find one in a D1-6 configuration. I'll eventually purchase a better 10" chuck than the one I have, still shopping to find a decent one that I'd consider at a reasonable price within my budget.

This isn't a gripe towards you or Grizzly, I'm a satisfied customer!

By the way, I just got off the phone with a vendor selling Bison chucks and purchased one. Hopefully they will measure up to the quality of their reputation.

I'd really like to have an 8" 4 jaw chuck but cannot find one in a D1-6 configuration. QUOTE]

One of these:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9866

and one of these:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/T10106

Shiraz, the problem with a non-direct mount chuck and an additional back plate is stacking growth to the already large head stock. I thank you for your effort in assisting me, and you're the reason I'm still a happy customer!

Just a comment on the Harrison 300. The older ones were made in the UK but they have been made in China for a number of years now. I was told that the PM1340T IS a Harrison; same plant, same assembly line, different badge. I know a guy who has one and is tickled pink. I would have bought one myself but a 1440 Nardini fell into my lap about the time I was ready to get one.

Nothing is better than the vintage American and British lathes such as DSG, Monarch, Hardinge and some of the South Bends but sadly, the days of good manual machines are gone or they are so exorbitantly priced as to make them more of a museum piece than a practical purchase. If I were going to spend $20K on a lathe, it would be on a Haas.

The Nardini is a very nice lathe but has a long headstock so you have to get creative to chamber through it on short barrels.

If one is so inclined to buy a new lathe for gunsmithing, you can do far worse than the bigger Grizzlys. I don't have a Grizzly lathe but I have lots of woodworking machinery from them and it is perfectly serviceable and in some cases, better than the competitive , more expensive brands.

Last edited:
You can send your 10EE Monarch back to the factory and you will get a like new one back for about $80,000. The last new one they sold was around $125,000. I love my 6913 Clausing and can do 21" barrels in the headstock. Good enough for me.

I was thinking about getting a Harrisonn aa that belongs to a friend. Anybody on here use one?

Almost bought a Harrison AA and would have loved it... at the same shop I saw a Colchester Clausing 15-50 (the one with the square head gear box) I bought it instead... It had more room in case I got into bigger projects... I am happy all the time that I went with the longer bed.

Paul

I have been following this thread since the beginning hoping to get some suggestions and i did. Butch posted a link to Precision Barrel Works on their Harrison. i know where it is made and know their are not available anymore. It is an awesome looking lathe. Looks don't tell the real story but thanks Butch for the link. Buying a lathe does indeed suck especially when you don't know anything about them. i have a cheaper lathe now and have chambered a few barrels with it but that just gave me the fever for a better lathe. i made a 7 hour road trip to Atlanta yesterday from Mississippi to MSC to look at the M300. They were extremely helpful. Anyway my lathe shopping days are over. Did i make the best choice, time will tell but i am very excited right now.

I have the PM1340 lathe that is the supposed HarrisonM300/Clausing knock off.
It is a great lathe except that it does not have Gamet bearings in headstock and only half of the half nut.(the bottom half) never seen that before. I called Matt because he said the lathes were the same and he said oh all the lathes from that chinese manufacture only have half of the half nuts. On the bearings he said something like he thought they were made in Poland i believe.
The lathe is very accurate though but would like to have Horskys input since he purchased a new M300 from MSC.
I did hear that the lathes from that manufacture in china were moved to a new manufacture in either taiwan or elsewhere due to problems with Dalian the manufacture of the lathe in china before changing.
I would love to see a new M300 in person and hopefully Horsky will give input.
I will say I did see the harrison at precision barrel works while there looking at a maximat v13 he had for sale and that is when i fell in love with the Harrison M300 lathes and decided I had to have one.
john

I have the PM1340 lathe that is the supposed HarrisonM300/Clausing knock off.
It is a great lathe except that it does not have Gamet bearings in headstock and only half of the half nut.(the bottom half) never seen that before. I called Matt because he said the lathes were the same and he said oh all the lathes from that chinese manufacture only have half of the half nuts. On the bearings he said something like he thought they were made in Poland i believe.
The lathe is very accurate though but would like to have Horskys input since he purchased a new M300 from MSC.
I did hear that the lathes from that manufacture in china were moved to a new manufacture in either taiwan or elsewhere due to problems with Dalian the manufacture of the lathe in china before changing.
I would love to see a new M300 in person and hopefully Horsky will give input.
I will say I did see the harrison at precision barrel works while there looking at a maximat v13 he had for sale and that is when i fell in love with the Harrison M300 lathes and decided I had to have one.
john

The Harrison clone is the 1340T not the 1340. It goes to 2500 RPM as the 1340 only goes to 2000. That is one sure way to know you have the same one. I don't know anything about the bearing quality on them. I know my Nardini has a placard right on it that spells out Timken bearings.

The Harrison clone is the 1340T not the 1340. It goes to 2500 RPM as the 1340 only goes to 2000. That is one sure way to know you have the same one. I don't know anything about the bearing quality on them. I know my Nardini has a placard right on it that spells out Timken bearings.

My lathe is the 1340 PM actually which is the harrison and clausing (just different colors, blue back or red back)
The PM on the end just stands for precision Matthews the company who imports them in for him.
I believe there are many 1340 lathes out there but as that we were talking of the harrison type if did not feel the need to list the name completely.
if you would like to see pictures i will post them tomorrow as it is getting late here
john

I have been looking at the Acer brand of Lathes. There are a couple local dealers, so i think i may go take a look. Anyone here have an Acer? There 14x40 is about 8500$ Not cheap, but not a total bank buster either. Lee

In the near future one of my neighbors is going to sell all his machine shop tools. I have made a list. He has been a machinist for 60 years and retired from Mueller Brass where he was the Shops tool maker. While he was working for "Uncle Mueller" he ran a shop of his own in his spare time. He is now old enough that he is thinking he better sell his stuff before he leaves his wife with a fine mess of stuff to get rid of.

In the shop are 3 lathes all must go.

One is a monsterous 16" Cincinatti with 3 chucks and a face plate and Taper attachment and Various Centers (Live Dead and bullnose), Steady and Following Rests

Also in the Shop are 2 South Bends (REAL USA Ones). A 16" and a 13". Also both have 3 Chucks and a Face Plate, and Various Centers Lve Dead and bullnose. Steady and following rests

Aside from Lathes the list is very long for other tooling...

Trinco sand blast cabinet
KO Lee universal tool cutter grinder
Reid surface grinder
Dumore tool post grinder
2 Rockwell dust collectors
Baldor Pedestal Based griner 8 inch
Rockwell bench grinder 6 inch
DoAll with tons of bands and files
Large Wellsaw
2 Bridgeport Mills
30 ton hydrolic/electric Press
Fourney AC/DC welder

tons of other tooling

dividing heads
rotary tables
angle plates
sin plates
sin bars
vises
jo blocks
guage pins
measuring tools
mills, drills, hand ground lathe cutting tools

Oh yeah I almost forgot.... the guy is old and doesn't use "Cuss Words" like "DRO", or "Insert tooling", When he bough stuff he could go to Production Tool and not have to specify that he wanted American stuff. His Measuring tools are either Lufkin, Starrett, or Brown and Sharpe.

E mail me if interested Pbike4466@directv.net

Last edited:
Back