Lathes

There are at least three things about that lathe that would be deal-killers for me; it weighs 660 lbs, single phase and it has the damnable open gearbox that is noisy. After I got rid of my Frejoth (Taiwanese) I swore I would never own another one with the open gears. I much prefer the oil bath gear box which is quieter and less troublesome. All you old South Bend guys are going to poo-poo this but it was a real problem for me. I think $3700 is a little steep for that machine.

One more question, a friend mentioned something about a powered compound. I wasn't aware that this was an option. He says that he saw one on a Grizzly gunsmithing lathe, use to cut a cone breech on a barrel. That was news to me. Comments.

One more question, a friend mentioned something about a powered compound. I wasn't aware that this was an option. He says that he saw one on a Grizzly gunsmithing lathe, use to cut a cone breech on a barrel. That was news to me. Comments.
I saw a power feed on a compound one time, wasnt OEM, been thinkin bout putting one on mine.
I think a power feed off a mill could be easily adapted.

I am specifically referring to the 1340T, it is head and shoulders better than the regular 1340.

Here is a link
http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1340T.html

and the regular one

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1340new.html

You can see they are completely different machines.

View attachment 12708

I don't know which machine you have, but the harrison clone has the individual dials and rpms to 2500
this is my machine
I hope the picture comes out as this is my first time trying to add a picture
thanks,
johnhttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff272/johntg/142.jpg

JTG,
On your Photobucket album page, put your mouse pointer on the picture and a list of links to the image will drop down. Click on the one that starts with img and it will be automatically copied to your clipboard, then in your post editing frame, right click where you want the image, and choose paste. If you are on the Photobucket page for that individual picture, the links will be on the left side of the page, and clicking on the IMG code will copy it. For the link that you tried to post to work you need to edit it so that john is removed and it starts with http. In that form, it can be highlighted and then right clicked and open in a new tab chosen, and it will open that way.
Boyd

this is my machine
I hope the picture comes out as this is my first time trying to add a picture
thanks,
johnhttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff272/johntg/142.jpg

That looks like a "T" model to me. Unless he has an additional one I am not aware of.

FWIW, I would find the website that shows what Eisen's shipping manifest is....I googled these once, and a poster raised the question: how does one really know they are from Tawain. Considering the level of counterfeting in China..a name plate is darn cheap...

It seems like most of the small engine lathes, made in Taiwan, that are affordable, are no longer available. Here is what seems to be a rare exception. The only thing that I can find to pick on is that the lowest speed is a little high. Opinions?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EISEN-1236G...330737745408?pt=BI_Lathes&hash=item4d01817e00

Boyd i will try that.
i hope it works
thanks,
john
142.jpg

John,
Would you be willing to run a tape measure through the spindle and tell us the length from the jaws to the end of the spindle ?
-----------Jeff

I do a lot of my work inside the Steel mills here in and around the Detroit area.

While many argue that the (cheaper) import lathes, mills and other machinery are built to the same tolerances as our American made machines, there are other things not being said. Even if the ways are just as clean, even if the surface finish on the bearings, gears, and Gibs are just as smooth, even if the tolerances all around are as tight, or even built with the same types of machines used here.... The foreign Steel itself is the weak link. Here at US Steel, Severstal North America, and Mital Steel, our Steel production is held to the highest Standards in the world, and always have been. Our USA made lathes, mills, saws, grinders etc. for that reason alone stand to last longer than the Ones built on the west side of the Pacific Rim, no matter what country. If for no other reason than the quality of the Base Material.

Paul

If for no other reason than the quality of the Base Material.

Paul
Paul, while I'm still on my Love-The-EPA kick, I would like to say there are two major requirements for top quality machine tools. First it the quality of the casting material being used and second is proper aging of the castings after they are poured.

I have bought small to very large machine tools since 1968 and have visited most of the US machine tool builders. They all knew that proper aging of good quality castings was key to quality machine tools. After the EPA came along in a period of just a few years most iron casting foundries were shut down and US tool manufacturers had to get castings off-shore.
(The EPA was created in 1970 but didn't really get into helping the US economy till about 1975).

At first some of the biggies like Kearney and Trecker tried weldments but weldments amplify vibrations of cutting instead of dampening vibrations-not good.

If you wonder why the US was Number 1 in many areas and now is near the bottom you can thank the EPA for its contribution.

John,
Would you be willing to run a tape measure through the spindle and tell us the length from the jaws to the end of the spindle ?
-----------Jeff

Jeff,
Measuring from inside the spindle from the tip of the Yuasa 3 jaw chuck to the end of the lathe spindle it is 21 1/2 inches. I will say that part of that is the 4 1/2 inches the Yuasa chuck takes up so there is room to play with there.
Hope that will help you.
John

Can some one please provide a price range on the British M300 Harrison lathe? Lets start with mint to very good. Thanks in advance. JOe

jtg, I bought a PM1440 several years ago from Matt, and have had issues with oil leaks (anyone know of a chicom machine that doesn't leak oil?). I'm seriously considering selling it and replacing with something a bit better - does your 1340T leak, and are there any other issues you've had with it?

jtg, I bought a PM1440 several years ago from Matt, and have had issues with oil leaks (anyone know of a chicom machine that doesn't leak oil?). I'm seriously considering selling it and replacing with something a bit better - does your 1340T leak, and are there any other issues you've had with it?

Dennis, why not just break down and trade that ChiCom lathe and that Beech Bonanza for a good Heavy 10??

Back