Lathes

A Sharp 13X40VS or 14X40VS variable speed these are a great lathe for gunsmithing. They run $8500.00 or better they will last. Get a DRO on any lathe you buy for him. You pay for what you get. Cry first or second I prefer first; I usually play with for a bit and quit crying sooner. Attach a location of a picture.

http://www.sharp-industries.com/lathes/1340.html

A "OLD" Southbend is a good lathe once you have it rebuilt. $$$$:cool:

I have a Southbend 7388 It is a early model M300 Harrison lathe great lathe they make a newer version.

http://www.precisionbarrelwork.com/images/47.jpg Butch Lamberts photo above

they run $$$$$$$$$ $15000.00 however you will not need another one. Currrently saving for one.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tolerance spec's would make anyone drool...but the 1.25 spindle hole is a little slim, and I wonder how the carriage drive by a separate motor, not mechanically connected to the spindle, would work for some tasks where being able to turn the lathe by hand is an advantage.

I'm still trying to sell my Jet BDB 1340 and all the tooling. See; http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?82296-Advice-needed .This is not a benchrest lathe, but would be a good starter and has a 1 1/2" spindle hole. That's what it was supposed to be for me before the economy and then my health took a crap. I have trued actions, bushed bolts, built several hunting rifles, and many other projects. Your son won't be spending all his 40-60 hours on a lathe, he'll probably spend most of his time at the bench. I can send a list, and will sell all or part. See; http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v222/CFWilson/Machine shop/ for pictures. Sorry if this post offends anyone.

The tolerance spec's would make anyone drool...but the 1.25 spindle hole is a little slim, and I wonder how the carriage drive by a separate motor, not mechanically connected to the spindle, would work for some tasks where being able to turn the lathe by hand is an advantage.

I have a HLV at work, 90% of my lathe work is done on it. I just chambered two 1.20" dia straight barrels on it this week, you need to remove the collet key for the straight barrels. The separate motor is nice in that it is continuasly variable during operation to adjust for feed. If you need to turn it by hand, engage the threading knob and use the lead screw.

Thanks Dave. I'll research them a bit.

--------Jeff
Jeff, according to John Lewis, who has a Harrison and has done quite a bit of research on them, look at the Model AA 12 x 30 or 36. The AA's are mechanical variable spindle speed drive, or look at the M300 which is basically the same machine with a different srive.

Keep in mind these are uk built and you know why the uk don't make computers? They haven't figured out how to make them leak oil.

Last edited:
I think I mentioned the Harrison on post#16 I believe.

You did Butch but it looks like you mentioned a new one while Jerry was referencing one of the older british made machines. I checked into the new Harrison a couple years ago and found out its Asian made so I didnt buy it.

That should be easy???

Butch or one of you other Texicans find Jeff an Oil Patch lathe. Some of these machines have spindle bores up to 36"

Here ya go; Just chuck up bench and all!!

http://www.oil-country-lathes.com/

http://www.mag-ias.com/index.php?id=844&L=2

There were a few South Bends that had oversize spindle bores too.

This was the best i could come up with after months/years of searching. Taiwanese-made RML-14x40, 2" spindle bore, High precision bearings, and had the excess spindle shortened off at the factory. 21 1/4" from front spider face to rear spider face. 32" .338Lapua mag barrel shown set-up in the photos attached. A really nice machine to work with - should have bought it years ago.

I also have a Harrison M300 in the shop as well as my 2nd lathe. set-up on that one is Metric/Imperial, whereas the Turrett 1440 is Imperial/Metric. Both are good solid machines, i will take both of them to the grave if i can.........!!

Dean.
P1010348.jpgP1010349.jpgP1010347.jpg

I heard that PM had one just like the Harrison for a lot less money. Man that looks so much like it I bet it came from the same town in China. How much are they and whos stockin parts?

Looks like $8495 to your door, parts don't know about, all I know is lathe buying sucks!!!

Greg, the only thing I can tell you is the things Griz is making now ain't South Bends. When South Bend first sold out it was to Leblond I believe. Lebond was getting the Heavy 10 Made in Taiwan and the cost was to be about $21,000 or so. You aren't going to get a Heavy 10, new, for the price of a riding lawn mower.

hosting images

1) The picture you show is not a "Heavy 10". It is GS26L. I do agree that the old Heavy 10s are very good machines and far superior to the lathe shown in the above brochure. I have a brand new GS26L (for our South Bend museum) and it does not compare to the original Heavy 10, which I also have and I know you do or did at one time.
2) That GS26L was made in Australia and not Taiwan
3) Grizzly does not make South Bend Lathes, South Bend does. Grizzly is a dealer like dozens others like Amazon, Production Tool etc
4) The larger South Bend lathes (13" and up) have been coming from Taiwan for almost 20 years, well before Leblond or I owned South Bend
5) The new South Bend lathes are made to completely different standards than most lathes on the market, including the Grizzly, but also cost more than twice most lathes. We sell them to the US military, schools, large corporations, US Coast Guard etc.

And to the OP - there are well over a thousand Grizzly "gunsmith" lathes out there and many of the users are full time gunsmiths, not hobbyists. Major companies like Sierra bullets, Bartlein Barrels, Boretech (boreguide manufacturer), Pacific Tool and Gauge (reamer maker) use Grizzly lathes on a daily basis. If you want names of actual users in your area, call our toll free number and ask for a reference and you can get an unbiased opinion from an actual user.

I bought the 0509G and couldn't be happier. My only complaints with the machine is the skimpy coolant pump/reservoir and the oversized 12" 4 jaw chuck, but they could be remedied by someone needing more/less. I don't need more pump to the point I want to spend that much money on an upgrade, and I bought a 10" 4 jaw even though what I really wanted was an 8". I'm happy with the quality of work the machine will produce and I'm building some really accurate rifles on mine.

Back