Lathes

B

Bob Hesotian

My son is getting out of gun smith school soon and he wants to buy a lathe for barrel and misc. work. Our question is, for the price of a new Grizzly G0709
($4,395.00) is there a better lathe for the money?

My son is getting out of gun smith school soon and he wants to buy a lathe for barrel and misc. work. Our question is, for the price of a new Grizzly G0709
($4,395.00) is there a better lathe for the money?
Nope! For someone who is going to use a lathe full time I'd suggest something more durable. These cheap ChiCom imports are ok for hobbyists where they are used maybe 10 hours per month. A busy gunsmith will use their lathe probably as much as 20 hours per week. Lots of difference.

Something I suggest... is he needs to get a job at a Machine Shop. He'd make some money and learn how to use a lathe. Then he could buy one himself. Things mean more when you have to spend your own hard earned money to get it. Plus he can write a percentage of his tools off in taxes. Also, most shops allow you to buy tools threw the shop. A set of Starrett or Mitutoyu mics are expensive. Plus calipers and etc....

How about an exact make and model as a suggestion for him ? I'd like to know too.
My best suggestion for a gunsmith lathe is a South Bend Heavy 10. Finding a good used one sometimes takes a few weeks. The Heavy 10 has a very rigid headstock that eliminates chambering chatter that is common on many of the new imports and the headstock is short enough to allow you to be able to true up both ends of the barrel at the same time. "The Great Gunsmith", Seeley Masker liked them so well he had 3. His son, Jerry, still owns two of them.

Edit-below are 2 examples of what a SBH 10 looks like. Both of these are rough but you can get some idea of what to look for and not look for.
The top link is of the later design and the bottom link is of the older design. Both designs make good gunsmith lathes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/South-Bend-...349?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab52509d5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-South-B...735?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab72d1ff7

Last edited:
I wish that new South Bend lathe that they show in the Grizzly catalog had a big enough spindle bore. I bet they would sell twice as many if it had. I know for me, when i look at these older South Bend machines, i just dont know what questions to ask, or what to even look for. I wouldn't know if one was worn out, or if it was still a good machine. Lee

This lathe here. The spindle bore is less than one inch. Why?? Arggg!!!! http://www.grizzly.com/products/10K-28-Bench-Lathe/SB1002

Last edited:
Greg, the only thing I can tell you is the things Griz is making now ain't South Bends. When South Bend first sold out it was to Leblond I believe. Lebond was getting the Heavy 10 Made in Taiwan and the cost was to be about $21,000 or so. You aren't going to get a Heavy 10, new, for the price of a riding lawn mower.

hosting images

Jerry is correct. The only thing "South Bend" about the Griz lathe is the logo. Their 10K bears a slight resemblence to the old 10K externally but internally they are a totally different machine! In other words they are not as well made. Also the 10K's were the same as the 9" machines accept they would swing an extra inch. The "heavy tens" regardless of who made them were and are in a class by themselves. The newer double tumbler models have a slightly wider thread cutting range but the old single tumbler models still have a wider thread cutting range than most any thing else out there. Also there are still tons of new and used parts available. I doubt there is better gunsmith lathe at any price!

Thanks Jerry. I'm looking to add another lathe to my shop. I want this lathe just for crowning barrels and muzzle brake installation. The heavy 10 is a great lathe, but I find it hard to find one and I really would like a larger spindle bore. I have my reasons for wanting to do things this way, so I really would like some insight on what lathe to buy. Large spindle bore as possible, shortest headstock as possible, most precise as possible, heaviest for size as possible.

Jeff,
Everybody is looking for that one. It is hard to find a lathe with larger spindle bore than[1 3/8] or larger with a short headstock.

Thanks Jerry. I'm looking to add another lathe to my shop. I want this lathe just for crowning barrels and muzzle brake installation. The heavy 10 is a great lathe, but I find it hard to find one and I really would like a larger spindle bore. I have my reasons for wanting to do things this way, so I really would like some insight on what lathe to buy. Large spindle bore as possible, shortest headstock as possible, most precise as possible, heaviest for size as possible.
That should be easy???

Butch or one of you other Texicans find Jeff an Oil Patch lathe. Some of these machines have spindle bores up to 36"

Here ya go; Just chuck up bench and all!!

http://www.oil-country-lathes.com/

http://www.mag-ias.com/index.php?id=844&L=2

There were a few South Bends that had oversize spindle bores too.

Generally, short through that headstock and large spindle bore do not go together. If you have some budget, I suppose that this would be an excellent lathe for gunsmith work.
http://www.harrisonlathe.com/m300 description page.pdf (Jerry, what is your opinion?)
One consideration, when buying a used lathe is the availability of parts. That can narrow the search quite a bit. Every time I look at ads for used lathes, I discover brands that I have never heard of, and that pretty much draw a blank when I search the internet. Even with names that are still available, parts for older models may not be.

Jerry and Butch

Even though the specs I gave are what I want, the comment was sort of made as tongue in cheek. We ALL want that, but can't find it. Jerry, you're right...you could nearly put the whole bench in one of those lathes ! I had never seen those before.

Boyd...I've put in a call to Harrison to get some specs that are not listed...thanks, that's a great lookin lathe.

In the meantime, I have been looking around the internet. What do any of you think about a 12/36 or 14/40 Nardini ?

I would call Dave Tooley about the smaller to the Nardinis. I think that he has some experience with one. I think that Clay Spencer has done some work with one of their CNC lathes. You might ask him.

Back