Favorite Songs....

Goodgrouper, I think the two finest "rock" songs ever performed are "You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC-DC, and "Honkey Tonk Woman" by The Stones.

My wife and I were listenning to "You Shook Me All Night Long" one day on the radio, and she said that she always liked that song. I asked her if she knew the Lyrics? When we got home, I downloaded them, and when she looked at the computer screen, she said, 'Oh'.

Janice Joplin's originol recording of "Take Another Little Piece Of My Heart" on the Cheap Thrills Album is up there as well. She proved that to really do that song right, you have to be stoned, drunk, and downright ugly........jackie

Last edited:
Allison, Martina, Jewel, Enya, ZZ Top, Black Sabbath, Nazerath, AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Merle, Waylon, Willie, ooooh and Wolf howls. The best for last Nitty Gritty Dirt Band The whole Dirt Silver & Gold (3 album set) Ripplin Waters best song

I was gonna list some Sabbath songs but figured I already had too many songs listed! But Paranoid is just about the most perfect heavy metal song ever! It started a whole genre.

Goodgrouper, I think the two finest "rock" songs ever performed are "You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC-DC, and "Honkey Tonk Woman" by The Stones.

My wife and I were listenning to "You Shook Me All Night Long" one day on the radio, and she said that she always liked that song. I asked her if she knew the Lyrics? When we got home, I downloaded them, and when she looked at the computer screen, she said, 'Oh'.

Janice Joplin's originol recording of "Take Another Little Piece Of My Heart" on the Cheap Thrills Album is up there as well. She proved that to really do that song right, you have to be stoned, drunk, and downright ugly........jackie

You shook me and Honkey are sure great rock songs Jackie. One of the first songs I learned how to play on the guitar (or at least tried to) was You shook me followed by Thunderstruck.
Even if one doesn't like AC/DC, they still have to love ol' Angus. The schoolboy uniform, and how he can play all those solos while running around and sliding on the floor.....it's classic! Wish I had his energy! And he's still doing all that and he's approaching his sixties! Amazing.

The truly greats CCR, Boston,AC-DC,Journey

Did I mention NO CUNTRY They all sound like they have a Close Pin on ther NOSE - Rap, When is VULGARITY considered MUSIC !!!

Disco --OH NO !!

Jim

CCR never wrote a song I didn't like. Have each and every one they did on my ipod. Fortunate son, Born on the bayou, and Ramble tamble would have to make my fav list as well.

http://youtu.be/ec0XKhAHR5I
http://youtu.be/dRU8fEsq6nk

Last edited:
Reading this thread has been a real hoot! It's sorta fun to take the opinion you have of someone on the forum and try to apply what you'd think their taste would be in music. I have to say, I'd have been wrong about 85% of the time! There's no guess'n what you people would like in music.

For me, I ain't the biggest rap fan either, but a close second to that for me is country. I've collected music since way, way way back, and I was a member of about every music club there ever was. I've got every CD I own ripped to MP3, and plenty more purchased from Walmart while they were selling mp3's. Of the thousands, (>10) I have, there is ONE country track. Yep, I like country music that much. I can listen to virtually anything, but rap and country I draw the line.

As I read all the responses and all the OLD titles / bands, "Good Morning Vietnam" came to mind and well, what "old" classics list would be complete without....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6271GgnOnIw

Gotta say though, I fall more in line with Hippy's list.

I'd be hard pressed to pick just a few. Foreigner, Journey, Boston, Chicago, Def Leppard, Firehouse, Cinderella, Ozzy, Huey Lewis, Queen, REO, Starship...

How many remember The Grass Roots? Or The BeeGee's early stuff, or Mountain, or Edison Lighthouse... This is the wrong subject for me when I'm at work :D

How about the Rednecks (like myself) who like Bluegrass? I like "Almost Home " by Larry Sparks. Also, JD Crowe has a band member by the name of Richard Bennett who has a great voice. As far as the noise makers (like most rock and rappers produce, I wouldn't cross the street to hear any of them. Give me Rhonda Vincent, Tony Rice, Ricky Skaggs, or Seldom Scene any day. James

Reading this thread has been a real hoot! It's sorta fun to take the opinion you have of someone on the forum and try to apply what you'd think their taste would be in music. I have to say, I'd have been wrong about 85% of the time! There's no guess'n what you people would like in music.

For me, I ain't the biggest rap fan either, but a close second to that for me is country. I've collected music since way, way way back, and I was a member of about every music club there ever was. I've got every CD I own ripped to MP3, and plenty more purchased from Walmart while they were selling mp3's. Of the thousands, (>10) I have, there is ONE country track. Yep, I like country music that much. I can listen to virtually anything, but rap and country I draw the line.

As I read all the responses and all the OLD titles / bands, "Good Morning Vietnam" came to mind and well, what "old" classics list would be complete without....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6271GgnOnIw

Gotta say though, I fall more in line with Hippy's list.

I'd be hard pressed to pick just a few. Foreigner, Journey, Boston, Chicago, Def Leppard, Firehouse, Cinderella, Ozzy, Huey Lewis, Queen, REO, Starship...

How many remember The Grass Roots? Or The BeeGee's early stuff, or Mountain, or Edison Lighthouse... This is the wrong subject for me when I'm at work :D

The only country I can stand is Johnny Cash. Rap isn't even music in my ears. And all that processed, corporate, bubble gum, pop music where all they do is get some good lookin' girl to sing and dance it is just as bad.

I think it's cool you mentioned Cinderella. Most folks don't even know who they are. They were one of the most under rated bands of the 80's and early 90's imo. I have every one of their albums, but Heartbreak Station is probably my favorite.

Lots of good choices but how about Steppenwolf and the Guess Who. Forgot Leonard Skynard.

Steppenwolf had a couple good songs that kicked off the term "heavy metal".

The Guess Who is classic for sure. I was rockin' them once inside my loading trailer at a match and had somebody knock on the door. I thought they were gonna tell me I had my music up to loud, but they just wanted to tell me that they loved the Guess Who and wanted it up louder!

Now, Johnny Cash, that is pure poetry in song. "Just lay there on the bed and keep your mouth shut till I'm gone, don't give me that old familiar cry'in piss'in moan'in, now you'll understand your man". And I just love the Luther Perkins "boom chicka" lick that became the personification of the Johnny Cash Sound.

Goodgrouper, on You Shook Me All Night Long", Angus is actually playing a full chord progression, treating each chord as a single note, changing with each up stroke, which makes it sound like a lead, while Malcomn plays the standard "one-four-five" as the rythm. It helps to get all the reverb out of the amp, and the distortion up high.

I have included a link with what I consider the best Lead Bridge in a Rock-a-Billy song, James Burton on that Fender Jaguar does the honors.

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XYp7-gX8tM

........jackie

Last edited:
I grew up listening to country the likes of Hank Williams, Don Williams, Charley Pride, Kenny Rogers (Lucille days) and a lot of Ethnic music. The Ethnic music in the part of Manitoba that I grew up in had a high Ukrainian/Polish population. A lot settled along and around Riding Mountain Park and the Duck Mountain Provincial Park of Manitoba. It is a lot of fun during the summer to slap in some good toe tapping Ukrainian Polka's. Trust me this is not the BIG Band type but BETTER.

Today my taste is the Country of today. That is what I reach for first. But there are the Canadian Rockers of the Late 70's and early 80's that we grew up listening to on the radio. Stampeders, Chiliwak, April Wine, The Guess Who, Loverboy, Rush (had one of the GREATEST drummers)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLjO...utube.com/watch?v=rQ8qkC5GgYc&feature=related, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ8qkC5GgYc&feature=related, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Triumph, Red Rider, Kim Mitchell and Trooper.

Favorites of Country George Strait and Garth http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-723146791672839871#

Last edited:
Calvin,
I don't know how long I'd listen to Polka music. I consider myself pretty diverse when it comes to listening preferences. About the only widespread genre I don't listen to is country. I can take about all other contemporary forms and most stuff even back to the Renaissance era. I've listened to some polka stuff, but it never lit my fire. Now, classical piano, classical wind, any of that I can sit and listen to. I'm probably one of the very few who gets put on hold at GoDaddy and actually likes the music they play! Old 20's swing and such, I think it's great! Some of it's sorta funny.

You mention drummers, and for all the rock I've listened to, I have rarely ever been impressed with any rock band drummer. Keyboards, guitar, yea. Drums?... Only one track comes to mind where I listen and marvel at the drummer and his ability to keep time and pace. Great White, Highway Nights. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drYWi3rAgR4 Another band I always liked, and, what wonderful cover art! They were great at that.

Jackie,
I have to say I was floored by some of your choices. Your another person who I'd have guessed wrong about. Maybe there's lots of us gun types who are more diverse than seems we should be. That's interesting you use Ricky Nelson as a technical example too.

I saw above a few who mentioned their dislike for Metal or harder rock, citing inability of the band members to play. While, I don't fault the dislike of the music, I think many times people don't realize just how talented some of these band members are. Regardless what type of music they play. Dig into a little history of them, and see their backgrounds, and some of em forgot more about music and instruments than most of us will ever know. One rock example I remember was, Firehouse. A Metal Rock band that was pretty much, as hard as it gets. The band leader was a classical concert pianist. All the members were musicians. And, I was a HUGE fan. Came one summer and they were doing a concert in town here in Williamsport (one of the members was a local). And they were going to play "Unplugged". I got tickets in a heartbeat, but, I was really skeptical about seeing them playing acoustic. I thought this was gonna be a real stretch... Well, they started to play, and it took about 30 seconds before everybody in the place realized, holy smokes, they're gonna ROCK the place with no electricity! What a great show, one of the best I ever saw. Who'da thunk it? Using an analogy, it would be like your expectations of a show where an opera singer is gonna do a heavy metal gig, and it turning out, great! ????

Goodgrouper, on You Shook Me All Night Long", Angus is actually playing a full chord progression, treating each chord as a single note, changing with each up stroke, which makes it sound like a lead, while Malcomn plays the standard "one-four-five" as the rythm. It helps to get all the reverb out of the amp, and the distortion up high.

Yeah, it's actually pretty simple now. I just meant I had a tough time with it when I first started. AC/DC is probably not the best band to try to play when you're a fresh, green rookie, but got easier eventually.;)

Hey, thanks for the link btw.

Calvin,
You mention drummers, and for all the rock I've listened to, I have rarely ever been impressed with any rock band drummer. Keyboards, guitar, yea. Drums?...

Calvin is right............well, mostly right. He said Rush's drummer (neil peart) was one of the best. Actually, he IS the best. Nobody else even comes close. The drummer in every band I've ever played in spoke of him in holy terms. In fact, if the criteria of the "best band in the world" comes down to pure musicianship, RUSH is the best without doubt. They have THE best drummer, 2nd or 3rd best keyboard/bass players, and probably the most under rated guitarist of all time at a ranking of around 5th or 6th in my book. It's quite a line up and it's only those three guys producing a wall of sound every bit as precise and intricate as any Bach!

Watch these and be prepared to be blown away:
http://youtu.be/GHkucr1jJpQ
http://youtu.be/VoTxTM6kBuU

Now, Johnny Cash, that is pure poetry in song.
I took my disabled sister to the bank and when she came back out, she opened the door before I could turn off the music. (It's always too loud for her so I leave it off when she's in the car.) She heard Johnny Cash doing "Ring of Fire" and was genuinely surprised. She thought I was a rock guy, only.

I told her "Anyone who doesn't like Johnny Cash is stupid and un-American."

She thought that was a little harsh. I suppose she's partly right. But, in all seriousness, in the entire body of his work, specifically including the last few albums before he died, I think pretty much anyone of any age can find something that touches their soul.

Just a comment since I can't really contribute to the specific question posed by the thread. I have too many favorites, from songs by the Roches to the Ramones to rap to Rachmaninoff to...pretty much everything. It sort of comes with the territory; I was a bassoonist in my youth, right up until I managed to sit in with a real orchestra during college and realized "I just do NOT have enough talent to make a living at this!". :)

(And yes, to all you naysayers, there is such a thing as good, fun rap music. In some ways the whole scene has gone downhill since the Sugar Hill Gang but if they didn't make you smile, you didn't have a pulse.)

Did ya know, Johnny Cash is the only artist to get into all three HOF's? The country music HOF, the rock n roll HOF, and the songwriter's HOF. Any naysayers can put that little fact in their pipe and smoke it!

Back