Favorite Songs....

All right..... where to start? :)

I've got a wall of music, broad but not too wide since I'm not a musician. Tried to play guitar, I own a pretty Washburn, but it messed with my head. My family is very musical, wife has a Taylor and threeson plays acoustic and electric quite well. He's good enough to play Dragonforce. I remember his first song was 'Crazy Train,' he'll still warms up with it sometimes and when my 3yr-old hears Ozzie he says "hey, that's Kody!".

ANYways..... I have music with me everywhere, mp3 players, flash drives, my latest kick is loading music on micro SD cards and playing off my cell phone or a liddle something called a Sansa 'Clip.' It's about the size of a key fob. This allows me to carry 850 ALBUMS on micro SD cards. 850 albums in my wallet and they don't make a dent. This computer has over 1000 albums on it.

wild....

So, what I've listened to in the last month, in no particular order:

country
Willie, Waylon, Kris and Johnny
Ian Tyson
Bobby Bare
David Allen Coe
Bocephus
CDB
and one girl, Gail Davies

new country
Corb Lund
BR549
Tricephus
Shooter Jennings
and one girl, Lucinda Williams (she SHOULD be under Texas)

Texas
Bill Kirchen
Guy Clark
Brian Burns
Townes Van Zandt
Ray Wylie Hubbard (check this out ;) http://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...7w8QF?p=youtube+ray+wylie+hubbard&b=21&tnr=20 )
Hayes Carll
Commander Cody And His Lost Planet Airmen
Wayne Hancock
Dale Watson
and one girl, Jessi Colter (I know, she was born in Arizona, but she left ;) )

classic rock
All the above (except the Stones, I only like their country!) plus,
Lou Reed
Slade
Queen
Poison
Whitesnake
The Who (not Who's Next, The Guess Who, or Guess)
Paul Simon
Dire Straits (basically any Knoffler, even his stuff w/Emmy Lou Harris)
Stray Cats (or anything Brian Setzer)
The Allen Parsons Project
Moody Blues
U2
UB40
Bad Company
Bob Seger
Dr Hook
Genesis/Phil Collins
Cream/Clapton/BF/Blind Faith and D and D
Guns-N-Roses
and one girl, Pat Benatar

ummm, contemporary,hiphop/hickhop/rap etc....
Will Smith
Cowboy Troy
early Beastie Boys
Shaggy
Bon Jovi
Tone Loc
Smashmouth
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Offspring
Wyclef Jean
Bobby Bare Jr
and one girl, Bjork

Instrumental
Mannheim Steamroller (or any Chip Davis/CW McCall)
Trans Siberian Orchestra
Doyle Dykes
Vangelis
Ed Van Fleet
Gary Hoey
and one girl, Charlotte Church acapella, that's instrumental/fundamental and monumental

I also listen to a lot of "soft rock" or "easy listening" but the only one I'll admit to here is Billy Joel "Goodnight Saigon")

LOL

al

Yea, he's pretty good. But having seen those clips, I still would say I was more impressed with the lead guitar work than the drums. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Drum solos are one of those things that a guy could mess up 100 times and nobody would know. So it's hard for me to look at it from a technical view and pass judgement. That's easier when there's accompaniment. As to Rush in general, I don't find myself listening to them very often. I suppose that might be partly because I have so much stuff. It takes a long time to get back around to some of it. I often scratch my head as I look at my collection of cd's/vinyl . Hell, I see here I've got 13 cd's of Rush...

It sorta makes my point tho about the people out there making music really having a lot of talent. Doesn't mean everybody has to see or appreciate it, but, in most instances, it's there.

It sounds like you're into music pretty heavy, have you ever checked out Live from Daryl's House? You might enjoy that.

http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/welcome.html

EDIT
Al, yer makin' me laugh. All those lists ending with, "and one girl" "and one girl", ... Funny thing, of all the tracks I have here, my country section is a whopping one song. By a girl! Actually, she didn't write it, but, Leann Rimes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90e8ryPDKWo Fact is, I don't listen to that one all that often either! :D

Goodgrouper, you mention "underrated". Imo, probably the most underrated band ever (never really made it on mainstream radio), was Queensryche. Some of Empire made it on the radio, but, that was about it. How could then stay so obscure??

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy Smackers there AL-in-WA, Corb Lund and Ian Tyson. Those are 2 names I NEVER expected to see..............

Calvin

But having seen those clips, I still would say I was more impressed with the lead guitar work than the drums. Hell, I see here I've got 13 cd's of Rush...

Do you have their Caress of Steel album? The guitar work in that album is mindblowing. Here's a taste:
http://youtu.be/5NHB684BBRc

It sounds like you're into music pretty heavy, have you ever checked out Live from Daryl's House? You might enjoy that.

Yes, I do! Good stuff, especially for hearing new material.

Al, yer makin' me laugh. All those lists ending with, "and one girl" "and one girl", ... Funny thing, of all the tracks I have here, my country section is a whopping one song. By a girl! Actually, she didn't write it, but, Leann Rimes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90e8ryPDKWo Fact is, I don't listen to that one all that often either! :D

I have to admit, the only girl on my ipod is Sheryl Crow. She can actually play the guitar pretty well and has one hell of a sexy voice. She ain't bad lookin' either...............

Goodgrouper, you mention "underrated". Imo, probably the most underrated band ever (never really made it on mainstream radio), was Queensryche. Some of Empire made it on the radio, but, that was about it. How could then stay so obscure??

Tell me about it. Operation Mindcrime is a modern day symphonic masterpiece. When they went on tour with Metallica, they blew those boys away and a lot of the folks in the audience didn't even know who they were at the time. How could an opening band be better than the main ticket? Easy when it's Queensryche!

One good rock band that hasn't been mentioned yet is Traffic/Steve Winwood. When Steve teams up with the Eric CLapton tour and they both play dueling guitars in Dear Mr. Fantasy, it's a little bit of heaven for the ears.
http://youtu.be/ugTaPTv0eQY

EDIT

I bought Leanne Rimes 'Blue' when it came out. IMO it sounds much more natural. She had pipes when she was little.

Can't believe I fergot Queensryche.... they were hot out here in the 90's, maybe because they're from right up the road.

Do you have their Caress of Steel album? The guitar work in that album is mindblowing. Here's a taste:

http://youtu.be/5NHB684BBRc
Yes I do. And to name the ones I have:
Rush
A Farewell To Kings
All The World's A Stage
Caress of Steel
Fly By Night
Grace Under Pressure
Hemispheres
Moving Pictures
Permanent Waves
Power Windows
Retrospective 1 & 2

I have to admit, the only girl on my ipod is Sheryl Crow. She can actually play the guitar pretty well and has one hell of a sexy voice. She ain't bad lookin' either...............
I have boatloads of female artists I like, whether solo artists or just female vocals. Some even write, like Avril. I couldnt' begin to count em all. I will admit tho, I prefer them as vocals when the band (typically male) rocks. Then, there's the ones that I can't stand without accompaning male vocals, sorta like Evenescence. I hate to say it but Amy just ain't got it without Paul McCoy. There's a one-hit-wonder to me. That one track is so much different than all their other material, ya wonder, where did that come from? And more, why not follow that path rather than the elevator music they do on their own?

So, No GoGo's? Belinda Carlisle, Freida, Blondie, Benetar, Heart, Patti Smythe, Stevie Nicks, Olivia, Madonna? You've gotta have more of em on there than you're remembering.

I've been a Queensryche fan since way back. First time I heard em, I thought, wow, these guys are going somewhere. 10 years later, I was still waiting for em to get some airtime... All the while being subjected to cruel jokes like Eminem, Bruce Springsteen or Weird Al... Like, Wth? :rolleyes:

Here's another band that had a lot of good stuff but never got any airtime. Remember these guys? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrJ30hq9xMI

I don't recall The Cult.

Al, I could listen to them. Reminds me a bit of Abba. Ya gotta listen real close to notice the accent don't ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys don't know squat.

I'm listening to Beethoven's Violin Concerto. New York Philarmonic with Daniel Barenboim. Violin - Isaac Stern.

It's to die for. The most sublime music ever written.

After that, anything by Puccini, esp. if sung by Luciano Pavarotti.

Just my .02 worth.

Roy

Back