Capitol City, Maine 5-24-14 results

Pete Wass

We had our best shooting day of the season today. After a foggy beginning, the temp got up to around 72* by Noon and as a result, the rifles shot a bit better, especially a couple particular Larson Rifles.(talk about an Un-Calfee) It sure was nice to be able to shoot without shivering :). We had 11 shooters for the 3 gun and 12 for tha Unlimited in the PM. Thanks to all for coming and helping out.

Sporter.

1. Gary Hamilton 248-14 (Larson)
2. Ted Derivan 247-12 (Turbo)
3. Pete Wass 247-10 ( Hall)

10.5 LB

1. Gary Hamilton 250-15 (Larson)
2. Jo An Hassam 249-14 (Cooper)
3. John Hassam 248-14 (Cooper)

13.5 Lb1.

1. Pete Wass 249-22 (Myers)
2. Ted Derivan 249-16 (Turbo)
3. Gary Hamilton 248-18 (Larson)

3 Gun Agg

1. Gary Hamilton 746-47 (Larson)
2. Pete Wass 744-42 (Myers)
3. Ted Derivan 741-42 (Turbo)

UNLIMITED

UL 1

1. Gary Hamilton 250-19 (Larson)
2. JoAn Hassam 250-13 (Cooper)
3. Pete Wass 249-17 (Myers)

UL 2

1. Gary Hamilton 250-18 (Larson)
2. John Hassam 249-15 (Cooper)
3. Steve Page 248-16 (52 Win CMP)

UL 3

1. Gary Hamilton 250-21 (Larson)
2. Klayton Hayes 249-17 (Larson)
3. Steve Page 248-17 (52 Win CMP)

UL AGG

1. Gary Hamilton 750-58 (Larson)
2. Steve Page 743-46 (52 Win CMP)
3. John Hassam 743-40 (Cooper)

Switchy winds from the East today. Flag # 1 would kill ya if one did not pay attention.

Last edited:
Thanks again for another great match Pete. It was nice to have some warmer temps to shoot in. But the best thing I saw all day was they paved the worst road in ME. From the rotary to the Civic Center!!;) Congrats to all the match winners.
Keith

Thank You Keith

Thanks again for another great match Pete. It was nice to have some warmer temps to shoot in. But the best thing I saw all day was they paved the worst road in ME. From the rotary to the Civic Center!!;) Congrats to all the match winners.
Keith

For your support to our matches. We appreciate your attendance and assistance, always.

Pete

Flag #1

I'll be damned if I knew what was happening sometimes Sunday in the middle of the range. I think Randy would say the same. After listening to you & Gary I think it could be flag #1! You know, the one I never pay any attention too. I'll try & overcome that bad habit!
It was also good to see Paul & Dave for the 1st time this year.
Keith

Where are the Gordon Eck Rifles????? Is anyone shooting them??

=Pete Wass;733738]We had our best shooting day of the season today. After a foggy beginning, the temp got up to around 72* by Noon and as a result, the rifles shot a bit better, especially a couple particular Larson Rifles.(talk about an Un-Calfee) It sure was nice to be able to shoot without shivering :). We had 11 shooters for the 3 gun and 12 for tha Unlimited in the PM. Thanks to all for coming and helping out.

Sporter.

1. Gary Hamilton 248-14 (Larson)
2. Ted Derivan 247-12 (Turbo)
3. Pete Wass 247-10 ( Hall)

10.5 LB

1. Gary Hamilton 250-15 (Larson)
2. Jo An Hassam 249-14 (Cooper)
3. John Hassam 248-14 (Cooper)

13.5 Lb1.

1. Pete Wass 249-22 (Myers)
2. Ted Derivan 249-16 (Turbo)
3. Gary Hamilton 248-18 (Larson)

3 Gun Agg

1. Gary Hamilton 746-47 (Larson)
2. Pete Wass 744-42 (Myers)
3. Ted Derivan 741-42 (Turbo)

UNLIMITED

UL 1

1. Gary Hamilton 250-19 (Larson)
2. JoAn Hassam 250-13 (Cooper)
3. Pete Wass 249-17 (Myers)

UL 2

1. Gary Hamilton 250-18 (Larson)
2. John Hassam 249-15 (Cooper)
3. Steve Page 248-16 (52 Win CMP)

UL 3

1. Gary Hamilton 250-21 (Larson)
2. Klayton Hayes 249-17 (Larson)
3. Steve Page 248-17 (52 Win CMP)

UL AGG

1. Gary Hamilton 750-58 (Larson)
2. Steve Page 743-46 (52 Win CMP)
3. John Hassam 743-40 (Cooper)

Switchy winds from the East today. Flag # 1 would kill ya if one did not pay attention.[/QUOTE]

Team Eck is represented in Maine

I shoot two Eck turbo's made by the great Gordon my sporter and 10.5lb.

Ted Derivan

My Sporter was chambered by Eck

But there is so much emphasis placed on the Action component, I reported who made the Action. Personally I believe the quality of the finish inside the barrel has way more to do with a winning rifle than any other thing, followed secondly by the ammo it likes followed thirdly by the Nut behind the Bolt. Way too much is made of everything else, IMHO. I think anyone who has ever owned a "Hummer Barrel" and recognized it as such would agree.

Last edited:
Like Pete, this is IMHO. A couple of small, but key things, come to mind. 1. A well tuned ignition system. The firing pin striking true and consistent, either at 12 or 6 is immaterial to me. 2. A true squared action and barrel is key. 3. Total agreement with Pete on the inside of the barrel, chamber, and lead being well finished. 4. A well tuned trigger, that the nut behind the rifle is in tune with. The trigger, tripping the firing pin, striking the primer, out of sync, not good. 5. Finally the marriage of stock and action a tinkers dream come true. So it all boils down to the imperfect human, reading the imperfect wind, and putting their confidence in their, imperfect man made rifle, to make them look good. Giving them bragging rights in the name of the action.

Who sell Larson rifles??? Where can I buy one??? They seem to be winning a lot.

=Pete Wass;733894]But there is so much emphasis placed on the Action component, I reported who made the Action. Personally I believe the quality of the finish inside the barrel has way more to do with a winning rifle than any other thing, followed secondly by the ammo it likes followed thirdly by the Nut behind the Bolt. Way too much is made of everything else, IMHO. I think anyone who has ever owned a "Hummer Barrel" and recognized it as such would agree.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
=pete wass;733894]but there is so much emphasis placed on the action component, i reported who made the action. Personally i believe the quality of the finish inside the barrel has way more to do with a winning rifle than any other thing, followed secondly by the ammo it likes followed thirdly by the nut behind the bolt. Way too much is made of everything else, imho. I think anyone who has ever owned a "hummer barrel" and recognized it as such would agree.
[/quote]

=Pete Wass;733894]But there is so much emphasis placed on the Action component, I reported who made the Action. Personally I believe the quality of the finish inside the barrel has way more to do with a winning rifle than any other thing, followed secondly by the ammo it likes followed thirdly by the Nut behind the Bolt. Way too much is made of everything else, IMHO. I think anyone who has ever owned a "Hummer Barrel" and recognized it as such would agree.
[/QUOTE]

The Larson rifles are winning a lot. I've not seen a slicker action than those. I also haven't seen a 2500x yet so.... GH is on top of his game this year & seems rejuvenated. But he could be doing the same with his Red Cooper.
I don't think the Larson rifles can be had although FS did put a $14,000 # out the other day on his 2! I doubt he'd take it though.
As far as Eck rifles go they haven't really caught on yet. As we watch how Ted does they just may. Who knows?? If you want Eck gun results check out the NY guys scores.
Keith

[/QUOTE]
K80skeet, you ole dung thrower, here are some possible answer's to your questions:

Who sell Larson rifles??? That is the 64 thousand dollar question. Where can I buy one??? Not from me, and I know for a fact, not from Team Hamilton Captain Gary after posting a 750-58 with his.
They seem to be winning a lot. Getting lucky with them the Team Captain would say.

So Keith, AKA K80skeet, Gary and I have NO Doubt, possibly the following recommendations will send you in the right direction for a good rifle:

Team Eck
Un-Calfee's

and if you truly want a gun!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buy COOPER and Gary has the magic touch for barrel finishing.

Last edited:
K80skeet, you ole dung thrower, here are some possible answer's to your questions:

Who sell Larson rifles??? That is the 64 thousand dollar question. Where can I buy one??? Not from me, and I know for a fact, not from Team Hamilton Captain Gary after posting a 750-58 with his.
They seem to be winning a lot. Getting lucky with them the Team Captain would say.

So Keith, AKA K80skeet, Gary and I have NO Doubt, possibly the following recommendations will send you in the right direction for a good rifle:

Team Eck
Un-Calfee's

and if you truly want a gun!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buy COOPER and Gary has the magic touch for barrel finishing.[/QUOTE]

Keith, I for one, truly wishes Ted, all the luck in the world, with his great gun. I have to only learn to shot better as The Captain says. I guess it is time to go back to my Cooper and a one piece Pappas Rest in the UL category.

Klayton, AKA First Sergeant

Keith, you should be some what happy, taking a ole shot up 40X, and turning it over to The Team Hamilton Captain over this winter. Look at you quietly competing right up there with the rest of the big names, Eck, Larsons, and Coopers. Gary wishes to welcome you to Team Hamilton! I truly promise to not tell what was done to your rifle. The Ole Soldier.

Last edited:
Coopers

Do these coopers win at anything above club level matches?

sorry klayton

Team Eck
Un-Calfee's

and if you truly want a gun!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buy COOPER and Gary has the magic touch for barrel finishing.

Keith, I for one, truly wishes Ted, all the luck in the world, with his great gun. I have to only learn to shot better as The Captain says. I guess it is time to go back to my Cooper and a one piece Pappas Rest in the UL category.

Klayton, AKA First Sergeant[/QUOTE]

sorry Klayton...I'm not K80 but nice try....wonder who is hiding behind the alias?? If I wanna stir the pot I'll let you know it's Keith.

Last edited:
Do these coopers win at anything above club level matches?

Well Mel, I can't answer that as that's all I shoot pretty much. I'll say this though There is one I'd put up against anything in the country. Problem is I'm not sure how much Cooper is left in it.
Hope to see ya this summer!
Keith

Keith there were a couple coopers down here they were anything but competitive. I dont see them on equiptment lists . Come on down and shoot with us dont forget your cooper.

i

i

Keith, The one you are looking at is a sleeper, plain and simple. Captain Gary, of Team Hamilton, I'm sure would loan it to you just to go down the Eck's way. A good way to kick the action and make sure it is what you want. Also after a introduction by you of a true Coopers potential, their rumored visit to Maine may be just that.

Mel before you comment, my big traveling plan this year involves a trip to Stevensville, MT for some shooting out there. So with the cost of AMMO, gas, tolls, sleeping places, etc. Other travel for shoots is limited outside of Maine. So if you and your brother do make it to Maine, I for one look forward to meeting you and shooting with you. I like to stir things occasionally, but also appreciate a lesson or two. The name is Klayton Hayes and my shooting ability is on record with IR 50/50.

Regards, Klayton

Back