AR rules now final for IBS

Both the competition rules and safety checklist for AR rifle competition at IBS matches are now final.

See: http://internationalbenchrest.com/downloads/AR IBS Final Rules.pdf for the competition rules and

http://internationalbenchrest.com/downloads/AR IBS Safety Briefing Checklist.pdf for the safety checklist.

You should remember that all we have done is enable the clubs and ranges to offer AR rifles to shoot. These rules and guidelines do that. They do NOT have to do so, I am sure that some (or maybe most) won't.

I want to thank Harley Baker and Adrian VanGorder for the time and effort they put into this endeavor. Both fellows are still recovering from my arm twisting.

Jeff Stover
IBs President

Two thumbs up Jeff.
I like the brake exemption for LR.

Now if I only had a "black rifle":D

Thank You for posting this.

James

The Big Kicker

"Rifle must be capable of semi-auto fire".

I think that rule there will help bring shooters in and keep the true essence of what a AR is...........jackie

It would be better to have said "Rifle as entered must be capable of semi-auto firing" or something to that effect.

"Yeah, sure it can fire semiautomatic. All I have to do is drill one little hole & replace....."

me thinks that there will be some match director input at the individual ranges.

one issue is no mag in the rifle until commence fire. i typically do not use a mag for bench work. i do use a single loading device(sled) or similar part, but its not a mag, so it can go in when setting up the rifle on the bags.

i can see being dq'd for my rifle throwing brass at a competitor, but am i dq'd when a pc of brass rolls off my bench ?

any way its a start and a good start i think.

so where is the closest one to colorado ??/

mike in co

John

Would that be the same as "sure my Rifle weighs 10.5 pounds. Give me a minute to take the scope off".:D...........jackie

yep "cabable" is gonna be an issue......

as an example my three br rifles

6mm beggs.....capable if i drill a gas port and add the rest of the parts.

308win br.....capable if i rotated the gas block to align with the gas port( and probably have to drill out all the copper that has collected in the port...lol).

223 min spec is good to go as is.

mike in co

AR-15 Semi-Auto Fire Rule

Jeff,

How will the refs enforce the semi-auto fire rule??? Just askin.....:)

Jeff,

How will the refs enforce the semi-auto fire rule??? Just askin.....:)

How does a ref check 6X rifles for magazines? It's visible when the bolt is open and the ref can always check to make sure the follower moves.

Keep in mind the word "capable". It does not mean that you must shoot in semi-auto mode. But don't show up at the match with a bolt action upper on an AR lower.

Mike...

yep "cabable" is gonna be an issue......

as an example my three br rifles

6mm beggs.....capable if i drill a gas port and add the rest of the parts.

308win br.....capable if i rotated the gas block to align with the gas port( and probably have to drill out all the copper that has collected in the port...lol).

223 min spec is good to go as is.

mike in co

capable means it functions in semi auto mode on match day, not able to after $300 worth of machine work.

Are there any weight restrictions? Or did I not see it in the rules?

How will the refs enforce the semi-auto fire rule?

Do they check every single gun brought to the line for every single rule in the other classes? Or do they check the weight, and then other stuff if and when there is a question as to whether someone is in violation? Seems like its a pretty common sense situation, that depends first and foremost on the integrity of the competitor in not willfully flouting the published rules.

At the..

Do they check every single gun brought to the line for every single rule in the other classes? Or do they check the weight, and then other stuff if and when there is a question as to whether someone is in violation? Seems like its a pretty common sense situation, that depends first and foremost on the integrity of the competitor in not willfully flouting the published rules.

IBS score matches I attend, the bigger shoots weigh guns. Most of the other elements of gun configuration, rest configuration rules are left to the integrity of the competitor for the most part.

Inspection

Shoot a world record and your equipment will be checked. IBS and NBRA weigh guns in the matches I've shot at.

I would be of a mind

to check the winning three rifles for compliance to the rules. All this is left up to the referees in the rule book prior to the AR class and I don't see that this class should be any different.

Question

How does a ref check 6X rifles for magazines? It's visible when the bolt is open and the ref can always check to make sure the follower moves.

Keep in mind the word "capable". It does not mean that you must shoot in semi-auto mode. But don't show up at the match with a bolt action upper on an AR lower.

Do the magazines in 6x rigs have to be functional? If not what is their purpose?

Pete,

That was what I was getting at...

Seems like some folks are more interested in trying to derail the venue before it gets started, though.

Monte

Back