250 with 10-22

10-22s can be very accurate and you don't have to put a lot of money into them to get there....I have one with a 16 in GM fluted stainless barrel in a modified Blaster stock that will with good ammo, fairly consistently at 50 yards shoot in the mid 230s on a USBR target and occasionally will shoot in the low 240s... I put the gun together aprox 5 years ago and have about $425 into it...!0-22 aprox $175, Blaster stock,$99, Barrel aprox $120 and if I wanted to get the cost down a little more the original barrel and stock could be sold.....I put the pressure pad directly in front of the action and tuned the barrel by adjusting the length of the pad and action screw tension.....

Bernie...

Hi Bernie,

I hope you are doing well.

That 10/22 of Bernie's is one of the most accurate 10/22's I have seen shoot. Well I haven't actually seen it shoot, but Bernie is a good guy I met at another site who I became friends with. He was kind enough to email me some pictures of his targets and his 10/22 that he has. That gun shoot real well. No it won't compete with the custom rigs out there, but it will shoot dang well. I think it would be possible to shoot a 250 IR50/50 target with it.

A lot of guns that have shot 250 IR 50/50 targets probably would be doing very well to shoot a 243 to 245 score on the USBR at 50yds. Some of them would do well to break 240.

Brad

Here is my last post on this topic, showing my practice with and without my tuner installed, top two left pictures are uninstalled, the rest are different settings on the tuner and pictures show tuner does help---enough to shoot 250 on a 50/50 target??--i doubt it, but enough for ibs target though--maybe,next goal is a true benchrest bolt gun. barrel is a 21.5 inch clark, so with tuner i estimate its 23.25 maybe. at least now i am assured for head shots on tree rats anyway. the rest of the accuracy is my skill level now, whatever that may be, is still unknown

bill

tunertodayplusyesterday007.jpg

I did manage to shoot a 243 4X with my stock appearing 10/22 this weekend. Aside from the trigger plunger being removed and the 11 deg. crown it looks COMPLETELY stock. The trigger is 3.5 pounds, polished inside and still has all the stock pieces. Nemohunter at RFC did the barrel for me and my set up is VERY rough tuned at best. Everything is 300 rounds from new. I'm totally bent on shooting a 250 with it! :D

001.jpg

This target was shot using a Shooters Ridge bipod and Caldwell rear rest. Ammunition was Lapua Center X.

IMG_0071.jpg

Brad

Last edited:
250 at 50 yrds with a 10/22 would be an accomplisment worth celebating !!
sorta like haley's comet ....

note to self "stop poundin square pegs in round holes" :eek:

i'm dreaming of buying an off the rack bolt gun that all you have to do is adjust the trigger..NOT GONNA HAPPEN:eek:

BMP:

That is a great 10-22 target.. Hang in there and keep trying.. Just remember that the worst form of failure, is failure to try..

Good Shooting.

Dave

I have a 10/22 I put a Fajen thumbhole stock and a S.S. spiral fluted barrel on from Boyd's. It still has the factorty trigger and is topped off with a silver 36X BSA scope with a 50mm bell (I got from Midway on clearance) and my 13 year old shot a 244 and 7X with it @ 50 yards using Lapua Midas M's last year on an IBS target and there hadn't been 150 rounds through the barrel. :rolleyes: I think he would do great @ our local matches if I could keep his intrest. I've seen days that my Annie had a hard time breaking 245. :mad: But Annie's getting better. :D

Last edited:
use a steel receiver with
a solid bottom no cutout for a magazine, with a single
shot loading ramp with the bolt holding back after each shot.
thanks tom c.

there's an idea, a SEMI-bolt action ??

Don:

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. However, I'm not going to get into this can of worms again.. I have an ARA Scoring Plug, a RIG scoring plug and one of the old Official BR-50 scoring plugs and they all measure .224". I have measured Eley, Lapua, Wolf and Fiocchi bullets and they all measure .224. So, until the scoring plugs and the bullet diameters are all reduced down to .220, I will continue to measure my groups from the outside edge of the widest holes and subtract .224 to obtain my CTC group size. I respect yours, and anyone elses way of measuring their own groups..

Dave

Whatever you're doing explain to me how you get a group almost 3 bullets wide that you measure less than i hole across? You can call them anything you want. Basic math there Dave, basic math.

interesting thread and well there it is.....

Back in 2003 or 2004 or so, I built the Uber Clacker. An all out spare no expense 10-22 with all the bells and whistles and all the tricks the RFC crowd had dreamed up. I am embarrassed to say I had enough into that thing to have bought a pretty nice custom bolt gun for ready to roll. Sightron 36X, Lilja pipe, B& Oydyssey, 6 hole PC base topstrapping the action and barrel together, Kidd trigger, and all the internal work you could dream up to help em out.

At 25yds on the USBR in calm conditions with Wolf MT 250's were easy so to speak, almost a gimmee. At 50, well another story. Never broke 238 on the USBR I believe at 50. I shot the hell out of that thing. Always let the action load your records bull, always fire manually charged rounds off to the side. Top off the mag every 5 rounds. It was fun. After a year or so of having that much $$$ tied up in something that would not compete at IR50, I parted it out to the 4 winds to finance ammo for IR50. I kept the action/trigger. That action currently wears Greeanmoutains RFC Serial #6 16" fluted running boar barrel and a Hogue overmolded stock. Shoots pretty nice too for a semi auto.

Back