250 with 10-22

old swede

i never said i was and whats with the attitude. ill tell you what take a 1022 to a sanctioned match with the bolt boys and put him beside a guy splattering him with empty 22 shells and see what happens. the guy getting splattered might have 20,000 in his stuff.

go to a golf course and get in front of some real good players and duff around you will get told real quick. theres some shooters i admire and respect a lot here and if i was shooting with them not against them i would make very sure i didnt aggravate them by doing dumb things.

ill bet there isnt 5 100/22 shooters here that entertain thoughts they can shoot against these guys.

some of these people are the best in the world and i respect them and i want to hear their opinions.

they are masters at what they do. some of them have different ideas i respect that.

bob

bob

You know putting a tuner on a tricked out 10/22 seems like a real good idea.
Has anyone tried that?

Steve the local gunsmith that specializes in Rem 700 and builds hunter's benchrest rifles and long range BR rifles made one for his 10/22. I ask if it helped and he said yes. ?? I would have thought that the 10/22 barrels are so short and fat that they wouldn't help. I don't know how it was bedded.

The tuner was beautiful but wasn't very big but it might have been stainless, not aluminum.

10/22

well that sounds interesting. i bet he tinkers a lot

bob

came real close today on the ibs target outdoors wound up with a 246, i am getting closer each tweek i do, lowered the 8 oz. trigger down to 6oz. will try 2oz. next round with time precision tuner, my clark barrel is 21.5 inches so it just might give a benefit, i can see how they would be pretty useless on very short barrels.

bill

Misc. thoughts

Reading this thread made me think how well the military sniper rifles have come along. They now have semi-auto rifles capable of benchrest accuracy, or at least of the benchrest accuracy of a few years ago. I believe that at some point the semi-auto .22 rimfire will be capable of shooting the same scores as the best bolt action rifles of today. I am also sure the bolt guns will improve too. The second thought I had was about the enjoyment I get out of a sport. A good part of it is making progress. I have found if I shoot trap with a .410 or start from low gun, my scores are lower, but I can track progress more easily. I remember watching a training film on trap shooting and the expert had gone over 3,000 straight at some point. Now while it's more true than not that only accurate rifles are interesting, it is also probably true that a rifle that will shoot perfect scores every time you go to the line may become boring. Not that such a gun exists today, but that is because as technology improves, we make the challenge more difficult. So if a person wants to use a 10/22 to shoot benchrest, why talk down to him ? Heck, if I could ever get iron sights to zero in on the targets we use, I would give them a try.

well there are some guys that specilize in 1022 rifles and they have arrived. there are some rifle smiths and companies that specialize in 22 bolt actions and they are phenominal smiths.

then you have to actions that go beyond anyones dreams. expensive too. i feel we are about to our peak right now and we have shooters that can wring the best out of these rifles.

we have scope manufactures that are on top of their game and as my friend says he would rather see someone with a cheap rifle and a high dollar scope on it then the other way around.

so at this point all the inventing has been done and now smiths are just tinkering to wring the that just a little bit more to make a winning rifle.

just my 2c. the best rifle is junk in the hands of a bad shooter its all between the ears.

bob

Some 10/22 clones have rear screws in their receivers; some put a cross-bolt through the stock on their Rugers. Still, the aluminum receivers are a bit flimsy to hold up a bull barrel that's free-floating. Unless an 18-20" bull-barrel is free-floated, a tuner may just be for looks.

My method of accurizing a 10-22 with only one stock screw and a bull barrel is to use a pressure-point at the tip of the forend with about 8 lbs of uplift. That not only minimizes barrel vibration, but keeps the rear of the action tight into the bedding.

There's only about 8" of barrel beyond the pressure point, so a tuner isn't going to do much. Of course there are other methods of bedding a 10-22.

Picher

i will be able to eliminate the maybe-maybe not's and opinions with results on paper wednesday afternoon with pictures good or bad,my tuner arrived today and i wish the range was open because the wind here today is near 0mph . my clark barrel is 21.5 inches and free floated,action is not bedded as of now.

bill

well bill im anxious to see your results for one. wish i was closer so i could shoot with you.

good luck

bob

Steve:

Ref your post #38.. I have put a tuner on my Ruger 10-22 and it certainly helped mine. My 10-22 has a SS 20" .920 Green Mountain Barrel, a reworked 6oz. trigger, a fiberglas stock and a tuner.. I have gotten the rifle to shoot .250 agg. groups at 50 yards with Eley Black Box. I have shot a couple of 246 and 247 tagets with it but I do not feel confident enough to try it in a big match. I have included a picture of the rifle and the groups. Who knows, maybe someday I'll give it a chance in a match..

Dave

The rifle
Ruger_10-22_HBa.JPG
[/IMG]

The groups
Ruger_10-22_Groups.JPG

Last edited:
10-22s can be very accurate and you don't have to put a lot of money into them to get there....I have one with a 16 in GM fluted stainless barrel in a modified Blaster stock that will with good ammo, fairly consistently at 50 yards shoot in the mid 230s on a USBR target and occasionally will shoot in the low 240s... I put the gun together aprox 5 years ago and have about $425 into it...!0-22 aprox $175, Blaster stock,$99, Barrel aprox $120 and if I wanted to get the cost down a little more the original barrel and stock could be sold.....I put the pressure pad directly in front of the action and tuned the barrel by adjusting the length of the pad and action screw tension.....

Bernie...

Re-measure your groups................hint 2 bullets just touching at the edges is appx. .220"............measurements are way too small, should be more like a .350-.390 agg.

The groups
Ruger_10-22_Groups.JPG
[/QUOTE]

i shot today from 2 till 7 no wind at all after 5:30 50 yards with match target extra, my time precision tuner so far lets me shoot consistent group sizes, as of now it will never be bolt action accurate, but i think i will still be able to "dial" in a 250 on the ibs 50 yard target. these are all 5 shot groups.

tuner002.jpg

bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Don:

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. However, I'm not going to get into this can of worms again.. I have an ARA Scoring Plug, a RIG scoring plug and one of the old Official BR-50 scoring plugs and they all measure .224". I have measured Eley, Lapua, Wolf and Fiocchi bullets and they all measure .224. So, until the scoring plugs and the bullet diameters are all reduced down to .220, I will continue to measure my groups from the outside edge of the widest holes and subtract .224 to obtain my CTC group size. I respect yours, and anyone elses way of measuring their own groups..

Dave

your shooting

bill you are a very good shot. ill bet with your talent with a b/r bolt action rifle you could have some winning shoots. you have what it takes and you are probably as far as you can go with a 10/22.

maybe thats as far as you want to go but with a true b/r gun you could shoot some very good scores. i bet your going to get tired of the 10/22 too much talent for that.

good luck and very good shooting

bob

i really dont know what a good group or a bad group is, object is to put each bullet thru the same hole correct??

bill

nipper

hell i dont know im just like you. i bet someone will point you to a picture of a correct target and what you are supposed to do. around here there are some posts wth pictures of winning targets in true b/r i dont know if you are good at searches but there are some very good shots in r/f b/r.

they are very scary shooters.from what ive seen they shoot one target and its hitting a very small dot and then they move on and use a micromoter for scoring just kidding. but they only take one shot per target so no messing around and most all of them are right on the dot.

when you find them you will be amazed and everyone of them can do it at any given time then you get into the wind games and flags and all that stuff.

bob

10/22

bill

go over to 6mmbr and look up joe frederich this guy is something else. his targets are there and you can get an idea of what the big boys do. you wont believe his set up and the amount of money there.

but you cant deny him his one great shooter. i hope you are as impressed as i am.

best regards

bob

Back