250 with 10-22

N

nipper

Hi everyone,

I am new to all forms of bench rest, but my question is:

am i dreaming to much to think i will be able to shoot a 250 score with a ruger 10/22 that i am customizing, my last shoot i scored a 244 at 50 yards with wolf match extra and have since free floated the barrel but it isnt bedded in my h&k stock, my kidd two stage trigger is set at 8 oz. on each stage and i am thinking of dropping down to 6oz. and might pick up a point or two here i think, also next step i am thinking of buying a tuner and this might get me another 2-3 points?? Any thoughts??

bill

buy a bolt gun before you get anymore money in that rifle!!! your not ganna get the 250 mark with the 10/22 no matter what you do to it. rimfire central has to many dreamers over there with 10/22's. they aint ganna do it. been there done that. buy a bolt gun before you through anymore good money after bad!!!!

10-22

Bill could you please post some information regarding your trigger, I use a 10-22 with a shilen barrel for squirell hunting but my trigger really needs to be replaced.

as soon a stiller gets his action on the market i will buy a bolt gun, until then i see a 250 with a 10-22 though.

bill

stall-

i use a kidd 2 stage trigger, its adjustable on each stage, lots of places can tune your trigger to around 2.25 to 2.5 pounds.

www.coolguyguns.com

bill

save the money your ganna waiste. you'll see. a bolt gun is the way to go. the 10/22 isn't ganna hold up to a half way biult bolt gun at all. you'll be time and money ahead if you stop now. i was just like you before i learned!!!

do you ever feel like you are typing to a 10/22 troll on here?

Hi Nipper,

You know that old saying..."If you don't have a dream, you won't have a dream come true". Go for it! :)

I do agree with Beau, probably will not shoot 250's consistently. Seems a tuner can't hurt and probably will help.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Al

i dont agree mr. nobody, if i do shoot a 250 with the 10-22 i cant see where i would be "behind", i have no intent to ever try and shoot against bolt action rifles.

bill

save the money your ganna waiste. you'll see. a bolt gun is the way to go. the 10/22 isn't ganna hold up to a half way biult bolt gun at all. you'll be time and money ahead if you stop now. i was just like you before i learned!!!

do you ever feel like you are typing to a 10/22 troll on here?

I gotta agree, a complete waste of money. You'll never see any returns on your $700-$1100 10/22.
You'll eventually grow tired of it and move on. RFC is the place for you, there isn't anything a 10/22 can't do over there.
:D

When in Rome . . . Do as the . . .

. . . OR: When "Into Rugers" Shoot with the Ruger Guys.

Over on Rimfire Central we have a series of matches each month, and we have a special class for the Rugers. I invite you to shoot with them. We use the USBR target at both 25 & 50 yards. The 25 yard match is favored by the Ruger shooters. Once in a while someone will get a 250 with a Ruger at 25 yards.

Shooting a 250 at 50 yards on the USBR target is too much to expect, even with an Unlimited class rifle. The target is TOUGH at 50 yards. It's a good challenge at 25 for the Rugers.

Go here for more information on the 25 yard RFC Ruger/Semi-Auto rules.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268690

Go here to see the RFC February Ruger/Semi-Auto scores:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268674

Ya might say: "Shooting a match with other Rugers could be fun, and maybe not a complete waste of money either."

As hags said: "RFC is the place for you". But the guys who shoot in the RFC On-Line Matches are a few levels above the keyboard shooters over there that never look in the RFC MATCH Section.

We have a class for the Unlimited rifles and a couple of other classes too.

Joe Haller (Mr. Frosty)

I started customizing 10/22s and then realized that I was spending a whole lot of money and getting a minimal return. I decided to put the money into quality rifles and now have three Anschutz' which shoot rings around the Rugers right out of the box with no mods. If you're only after "coolness" then stay with the custom Rugers and follow Joe Haller's advice about getting involved in some of the postal matches over at RFC.

Hi everyone,

I am new to all forms of bench rest, but my question is:

am i dreaming to much to think i will be able to shoot a 250 score with a ruger 10/22 that i am customizing, my last shoot i scored a 244 at 50 yards with wolf match extra and have since free floated the barrel but it isnt bedded in my h&k stock, my kidd two stage trigger is set at 8 oz. on each stage and i am thinking of dropping down to 6oz. and might pick up a point or two here i think, also next step i am thinking of buying a tuner and this might get me another 2-3 points?? Any thoughts??

bill

I think it can be done. Now I dont shoot a 10/22 or USBR targets. But I think it can be done, but also have to agree it will not be consistent. I can see you getting that first 250 and then the next target will barely break 240.

You are on the right path with free floated barrel, but a 6oz trigger is still a lot of pull. I think you need to be down to the 2oz area so when you pull the trigger it doesn't affect the gun.

I have never seen a tuner on a 10/22, that could be a cool sight to see though, but as short as all the 10/22 barrels normally are, i seriously doubt you will gain a single thing. The bolt action barrels are running 25"-26" and the 10/22 barrels are like what 15"-18"? Don't think a tuner will help that short of a barrel. And if you do put one on, and then you finally upgrade to a bolt gun unless the 10/22 barrel is less in diameter then the barrel on the bolt gun you just wasted $150 on a tuner that can't be used again.

Also, you have pretty much maxed out the cheap Wolf ammo in scores. If you are totally serious about getting that 250, I strongly suggest you look into the better quality ammo such as Black Box Eley. Could possibly even get away with Eley Team.

Also, make sure your stock rides in the bags well. You want the least amount of friction going on, and please dont be the kind of shooter that lets the barrel ride in the bag. If you do that, then you just wasted all the time and money on the upgrades as you are now putting pressure on the barrel and changing the setup.

Just my thoughts from a bolt gun shooter to help a 10/22 shooter.
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
The rimfire targets for comparison . . .

10NationalTargets.jpg

On most days, even with a good rifle (not a 10-22) it is a lot harder than you think to nail a 250.

Look at past results and look at how many NON-250's there are.

Keep spending money, America needs it. Cheapest way is to buy targets with bigger 10 ring

thanks joe,

i have only shot the ibr target with a high score of 244, with a goal of 250 and maybe 10 xs

bill

IBR???? Are you sure you typed that right. That 250 might be easier than we imagined.

Back