Why are so many Nightforce scopes

Are we talking Nightforces for sale here on the classifieds?

On the March's I've heard several folks that got 50's are going back to 40's which seem to be clearer, but that's just hearsay.

Great link, that looks like a serious optic. It will be interesting to see if shows up in he short range center fire BRworld as well as competition for the LCS's and March's that dominate,

OK, given the quality, etc, etc, I'm now asking myself and anybody else with an opinion, is there a need in a BR environment, for that kind of variabulity given the additional moving] internal parts and the approx 6-7 OZ weight penalty over, say, a March 40?

Last edited:
Tim: Variability? Not needed in my opinion. I would love to see a NF at 40 or 45 or 50 fixed with the same glass in this new 15-55 offering. I suspect when mine gets here I'm gonna set it at somewhere in that range and never move it again. I'm buying it because when I looked through a prototype I was amazed at clarity etc. which made me open my wallet. It is going on a heavy rifle so weight is not an issue.....but if it will work on my 10.5 gun then I will need to find another $2.3K. bob

Tim: Variability? Not needed in my opinion. I would love to see a NF at 40 or 45 or 50 fixed with the same glass in this new 15-55 offering. I suspect when mine gets here I'm gonna set it at somewhere in that range and never move it again. I'm buying it because when I looked through a prototype I was amazed at clarity etc. which made me open my wallet. It is going on a heavy rifle so weight is not an issue.....but if it will work on my 10.5 gun then I will need to find another $2.3K. bob

I'd tend to agree on the variability issue. Without question this will be a great scope, however what I now ask myself and others may ponder is that the March 40 has ED glass, weighs less, is 10% less, and a bulletoroof track record. The 2 I own have been flawless.

Tim: FWIW I've looked through more than a few March scopes, though I have never owned one. I cannot recall having my socks curl up looking through a March like they did with the prototype NF. Time will tell.....bob

Pissing in the Wind!

All my BR scopes were under $600 and they work as Good as or Better than $1000+ scopes!!
I hope everyone I shoot RF BR against has bought the latest & greatest NF, March or Leopold at Star War’s prices!!!
(Think over $800)
Why??
Because they probably did not put their money where it counts!
Yep if you shoot at 200 or 1,000 yds or after eight at night they might help?
Just A Thought

(Maybe that is why they are for Sale? They can't shoot the Box!)

Last edited:
All my BR scopes were under $600 and they work as Good as or Better than $1000+ scopes!!
I hope everyone I shoot RF BR against has bought the latest & greatest NF, March or Leopold at Star War’s prices!!!
(Think over $800)
Why??
Because they probably did not put their money where it counts!
Yep if you shoot at 200 or 1,000 yds or after eight at night they might help?
Just A Thought

(Maybe that is why they are for Sale? They can't shoot the Box!)

There is an old adage that goes something like, "one should plan on spending as much or more for the scope they put on their rifle as they did for the rifle itself. I finally will admit that I don't think 2K is too much to pay for absolute reliability. It has taken me a long time to get to this point but I'm there.

Which One

There is an old adage that goes something like, "one should plan on spending as much or more for the scope they put on their rifle as they did for the rifle itself. I finally will admit that I don't think 2K is too much to pay for absolute reliability. It has taken me a long time to get to this point but I'm there.

So Pete,which one the March or the new Nightforce?

Pete

So Pete,which one the March or the new Nightforce?

Pete

WELLLLLLLLLLL, I have about determined that a 40X is about all the magnification I want so I would go with a straight 40X and the lightest one. I don't know what the warrantee is on the Nightforce but that might be a consideration as well. Some of my friends had problems with their Nightforce scopes back a few years and got away from them but I haven't heard anything adverse about them in some time now.

It is the opinion of a friend, who knows a lot about optics, that rifle scopes do not need to be a big as they are. He believes great smaller lenses would transmit plenty of light, for our purposes, ergo lighter and less weight up high on the package. Considering we usually don't compete in near darkness, that seems to make sense to me. Some of the clearest and brightest scopes I have looked through are some the old Leups and small lensed ones. Unfortunately, the tactical folks don't seem to be concerned about size or weight so we are to some degree, the victims of the design and marketing directed their way.

Last edited:
My wallet can't understand the need for a $2,000+ 40, 45, 50, 55 power scope to shoot at 50 yard targets. I can get 5-6 Weaver 36X scopes or 3-4 older Leupold 36X which I prefer, and they give me plenty to see any target at 50 yards. Maybe it's just a contest to see who can have the biggest toys.

Ya don't suppose the scope maufacturers have heard that old adage about spending as much for a scope as the rifle? With the rising prices of rifles maybe they're just trying to keep up. I've been happy with my used Leupolds and Weavers, then again, I've been acused of being "frugal".;)

Ken Henderson

You offer good goods

My wallet can't understand the need for a $2,000+ 40, 45, 50, 55 power scope to shoot at 50 yard targets. I can get 5-6 Weaver 36X scopes or 3-4 older Leupold 36X which I prefer, and they give me plenty to see any target at 50 yards. Maybe it's just a contest to see who can have the biggest toys.

And people will buy. Why do people trade in perfectly good autos that will last another 5 years for a new one?

Regarding scopes it's about total, absolute reliability in holding POI and in honest adjustments that don't walk on you. A nice optic is important too. Serious competitors know this. Time, travel, equipment costs all factor in as well as lost opportunity to an unreliable scope which is unacceptable to many.

I've never used a Weaver on a rimfire. I have used a total of six of them on my center fire 30 BR comp score rifle. Every single one of them eventually gave up the ghost..would not adjust and/or would not hold POI. I've moved on to two frozen Leupold competition scopes in Brackney mounts and have been totally happy with them. Good optics and solid internals design and execution are not cheap. The new NF...reliable internals...yet to be proven IMO. Good luck. Greg

Last edited:
Ken: Wear the term frugal as a badge of honor. Now, if you had said cheap, that is a different story entirely.

I'm a fan of Weaver T36's. I have several and each one has never failed me mechanically. On the other hand my tournament rifles all wear either NF or Leupold scopes. I shoot tournaments indoors in very poor light and once in a while at twilight or even under lights outdoors. And my eyes are not those of a fighter pilot; never were. In conditions mentioned above the T36 does NOT shine for me. bob

Back