Why are so many Nightforce scopes

Walt Berger used a Marsh rifle with a short light barrel and the new NF Competition scope (15X-55X w/ 50 mm Obj. lens) to win the 2-gun at Visalia. I received one of these scopes today for evaluation. James Mock PS- He made the 10.5 # limit with the 27 oz. scope, but the rifle shown weighs 10.8 pounds.
121xy5j.jpg

Last edited:
WELLLLLLLLLLL, I have about determined that a 40X is about all the magnification I want so I would go with a straight 40X and the lightest one. I don't know what the warrantee is on the Nightforce but that might be a consideration as well. Some of my friends had problems with their Nightforce scopes back a few years and got away from them but I haven't heard anything adverse about them in some time now.

It is the opinion of a friend, who knows a lot about optics, that rifle scopes do not need to be a big as they are. He believes great smaller lenses would transmit plenty of light, for our purposes, ergo lighter and less weight up high on the package. Considering we usually don't compete in near darkness, that seems to make sense to me. Some of the clearest and brightest scopes I have looked through are some the old Leups and small lensed ones. Unfortunately, the tactical folks don't seem to be concerned about size or weight so we are to some degree, the victims of the design and marketing directed their way.

Pete, wouldn't you think at this stage of the game you might cease with the 2nd and 3rd hand crap. Is this the same friend that told you the sporter rules changed? If you have no valid questions or nothing to add( yet again) don't wate everybodies time(yet again).

Last edited:
All this talk of $2K scopes and scope failures got me thinking I should get a new scope just in case my 10 year old Sightron SII decides to give up the ghost this year. So I decided to be proactive and upgraded to the Sightron SII BigSky 36X and at $600 all your talk of $2K scopes has me thinking it's a damn bargain.

Hey Pete,

Who's your secret admirer in upstate NY? :confused:

If I lived in NY I'd prolly be a bit angst too!!

Bad Day ??

Pete, wouldn't you think at this stage of the game you might cease with the 2nd and 3rd hand crap. Is this the same friend that told you the sporter rules changed? If you have no valid questions or nothing to add( yet again) don't wate everybodies time(yet again).

Tim my friend , You must be having a really bad day . I don't post on here much as you can tell and I'm not a mod. but I really don't feel like Wilbur keeps this forum going so people could come on here give an opinion and get personally attacked . I do know that all our feet are made of clay and the only perfect one was the potter . Hope tomorrow is a better day for you pal . Later . - Clint

Tim---

Been drinking your bath water again Tim? I see no one berated you for mis-spelling "waste". Play nice.

First hand knowledge and personal opinion would seem to be the lifeblood of forum threads. Rumor..... 2nd , 3 rd hand stuff.... Not so much.

I am a new member & have recently joined here. I think the Nightforce scope is an extremely significant product that comes with high magnification range. Its long objective lens provides maximum clarity and resolution across the entire magnification range. This advanced field tactical scope has a wide magnification factor that allows precision accuracy at the longest ranges yet is highly effective for shots at close ranges. It is used in various fields of law enforcement , field tactical and target shooting. These scopes are best for their quality and performance that is great. Along with clarity in images, daylight settings and magnification, this products are technologically advanced. I can say Nightforce scope is good optic from my knowledge & experience and the has long warranty.

Back