What Primers to Use - 6PPC

rkittine

I will be getting my first 6PPC next week. Clarence Hammond Build on a BAT action. .262 Neck. I have some Wilson Arbor Press type dies (bushing neck and seater) and am getting some pre-prepped virgin brass from Bob White at the shooters corner on Monday along with some powder (VIHT N133 - I already have some IMR 4198) and some Berger 60 and 65 grain Match projectiles. The only Small Rifle Primers that I currently have are CCI-450s. What should I be using for this caliber / projectile combination? I want to shoot some brass multiple times and send the fired cases off to Whidden for custom dies.

Thanks, Bob

Last edited:
I will be getting my first 6PPC next week. Clarence Hammond Build on a BAT action. .262 Neck. I have some Wilson Arbor Press type dies (bushing neck and seater) and am getting some pre-prepped virgin brass from Bob White at the shooters corner on Monday along with some powder (VIHT N133 - I already have some IMR 4198) and some Berger 60 and 65 grain Match projectiles. The only Small Rifle Primers that I currently have are CCI-450s. What should I be using for this caliber / projectile combination? I want to shoot some brass multiple times and send the fired cases off to Whidden for custom dies.

Thanks, Bob

Bob. Most People use Federal 205M's, but they are non existent now. You can use regular 205's. There is no difference. I've gotten just as good if not better results with the regular 205's. Don't use IMR 4198. Use either N133, LT32, or 8208.

Another thing....plan on a bushing FL die...soon. You can neck size and reload couple of cases with stout loads until they are tight (Keep your lugs lubed.) and then send them to Harrell's Precision so that they can match a die to your chamber. Call them before you do this. I don't know of anyone that neck sizes for their 6PPC. Everyone that I know of uses a custom FL die. This would include several world record holders and Hall of Fame members.

A bit of a tangent, but primer related. I shoot CCI BR4s but tried 400s one day on a whim. Shot 3 groups with BR4s and 3 with 400s. They both agg'd low 2's. Supposedly they're the same primer but are QA'd differently. Now the one difference I can speak to is the price. BR4s run $15 - $20 more per 1,000.

And you want to know the irony in all this....I still shoot the BR4. Call it placebo effect.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I would leave the 4198 at home for the PPC. I witnessed a case rupture last year with 4198. It can work, but why, when there are many better choices.

Joe Hynes

Thanks guys. I have the 4198 for another caliber, but saw it listed in the Berger Manual. I am getting N133 from Bob and was looking for the H322 also.

Boyd, I am confused by your comment do I get a custom FL Size Die or a custom FL Bushing Die set? I have a Wilson Bushing Neck Die so that I can take virgin brass, fire it a few times and send in for the custom dies. Any problem with Whidden Custom Dies, I have them in a number of other calibers and like them. I do have the Wilson Seater Die already too.

Thanks for the input on Primers, I will see what I can get from Bob on Monday when I am at The Shooters Corner.

Bob

Last edited:
I have no issue with Whidden dies. I have not tried them. I misunderstood you. Some fellows plan on only neck sizing. My mistake. Let us know how your Whiddens work out. Harrells are common, and seem to be an excellent value, but they are obviously not the only source. CCI BR4s work well. I would get some 133 and LT 32. The former likes neck tension, about .0025 works well. The LT likes less. About .001 to .0015. Some time ago. a friend had Hammond build him a rifle. I hope that yours shoots as well as his did. Shot like the hammers of hell.

A bit of a tangent, but primer related. I shoot CCI BR4s but tried 400s one day on a whim. Shot 3 groups with BR4s and 3 with 400s. They both agg'd low 2's. Supposedly they're the same primer but are QA'd differently. Now the one difference I can speak to is the price. BR4s run $15 - $20 more per 1,000.

And you want to know the irony in all this....I still shoot the BR4. Call it placebo effect.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Lee
I can say the exact same thing about Federals , I know the 205's are just as good but given the choice I use the 205m's.

Dick

Thanks again guys. I will only be using the Wilson Neck Die for reloading some of these cases so I can order the Whidden Custom dies. I need to send them 3 cases each fired at least 3 times and the reamer print.

I will have N133 on Monday and am looking for some H322. If Bob has the primers in stock, I will get some CCI BR4s and Some Federal 205s. If he has only one of those, then there is my short term answer.

Bob

During the first primer shortage I can remember, my friend Mark Luksic and I found some regular ol' 205s in Jasper, Alabama while traveling to a match in Fayette. We bought all they had and they worked just as good as any primer we ever used. When the 205Ms became available, Mark got whatever I had left of the 205s because it seemed that I had to pay more for primers! I know this post parrots what others have written but it's a true story. Don't think that the same thing wouldn't happen today....because it would.

Eh! 205M are a waste of money. You are paying for extra inspectors.....Um, which are prolly US citizen/workers....I can't see the difference...

The Old Guy.
Some might remember me mentioning "The Old Guy". That was Lowell Hottenstein. He told me 3 times that some guys use Winchester Primers.
Well, during the shortage. That's what I could find. Price...eh...But, I had some primers.....Never had one fail.....all good.

Rem. 7 1/2 are what was recommended from the person I purchased mine from,I use them and Tula SRMs.

I used rem 7- 1/2's for years, they are fine too, but I went to the Federals 10-15 years ago and prefer them. I do not find them interchangeable however.

May be interesting to ask the question in reverse. Has anyone found a brand of small rifle primers that they couldn't get to shoot in the PPC? From the responses above, it seems like standard Fed & CCI, BR4s, 205Ms, Rems, Winchesters, and lower cost brands like Tula all work.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I understand that in short range bench rest there is a lot less sorting etc. then what I am used to in 1,000 Yard. Since I weight and mike all my primers now, I guess that sorting 205s won't be a bid deal. Keeps me off the streets at night!

Bob

Back