What Primers to Use - 6PPC

I am very new to this, but started all the sorting after I attended the Williamsport 1000 Yard Bench Rest School last year and started shooting at 1,000. I certainly get your point and realize that at 100 yards, most everyone feels it is a waste of time. I think you could say the same with brass where rim thickness can change without a change to case capacity. All this prep probably does more to make me feel warm and fuzzy then anything else. But then if 205Ms as someone said go through more inspections, isn't that a sorting process of regular 205s or am I mistaken and then are totally different primers.

Bob

Last edited:
I was thinking if the match primers are inspected more or better, are they not inspecting the regular primers? Are the match primer's coming off the same belt and hand selected for match quality? At least with Federal the match primers have a different looking color compound inside, or is it the sealant.

I was into the sleuthing the load for gold medal match .308 at one time and was talking with Dan Newberry, and one of the most unknowns was the primer,, this was the 168 FGMM load and I noticed that the primer in the rounds that I took apart did not appear to have the match primer with the red yellow type look. It appeared to be a regular large fed primer but couldn't tell for sure. More research lead to it being a Federal Gold primer not available to reloaders. LOL

Which primer to use is the least of our worries!

I'll disagree with you Wilbur. When I was trying to come up with a load for my 30x46 using N133. I was using the std & match 205's that I usually use in by 30BR's and the best I could do with them was a .194 3 shot group out of 7 groups, with most being in the low to mid 2's. Changed primers to a CCI BR4, and the worst 3 shot group out of 5 was a .137 , that being the 1st group. The last 4 kept on getting better with each group. Big difference in my opinion and doing what I did with that combo in competition last year proved to me that just changing primers was the right thing to do. Bet the farm, if I had those Federal's in there that load wouldn't have done half as good.

Last edited:
Since I only have CCI 450s as far as Small Rifle Primers go, I was looking for input as to what to buy and think I have gotten what I needed. I have more reloading experience for shotgun shells, where there is a very wide performance difference in the various primers and substituting primers can lead to dangerous changes in pressure levels in barrels only meant to take 12,000 or less PSI pressures. I understand that rifle and pistol primers don't make those kind of differences when they are changed, but since I need primers I figured I might as well get what others that are experienced, recommend. Tomorrow I will be at Bob White's with my shopping list.

Thanks to all.

Since I only have CCI 450s as far as Small Rifle Primers go, I was looking for input as to what to buy and think I have gotten what I needed. I have more reloading experience for shotgun shells, where there is a very wide performance difference in the various primers and substituting primers can lead to dangerous changes in pressure levels in barrels only meant to take 12,000 or less PSI pressures. I understand that rifle and pistol primers don't make those kind of differences when they are changed, but since I need primers I figured I might as well get what others that are experienced, recommend. Tomorrow I will be at Bob White's with my shopping list.

Thanks to all.
Just get some Regular Federal 205's Bob. Powder Valley has them for 30 bucks a brick. Get a few friends together and buy a bunch and split the shipping and Haz-Mat fees. That's what a lot of guy's do. I just bought 25 bricks of them last week from PV. I think the total bill to my house was a tad over 800 bucks, so that's $32.00 per brick buy the time you factor in the shipping and the legal extortion Haz-mat fee.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim,

I was at The Shooter's Corner today, buying stuff to start with and all Bob had was Remington 7 1/2s, so since my first order of business is to fire form some cases to my chamber so not overly worried about the primers. I will fire at least 3 cases three times and I only bought a small supply of the 7 1/2s and some LT-32 Powder and Berger 64.5 Grain BR Column Projectiles. The fired cases with then go out for custom dies.

Boyd let me know that there was LT-32, N133 and Federal 205 Primers on Powder Valley, so I will order some of that now and some more LT-32. I will probably shoot this new gun at Bob's Bench Rest Clinic at Cheery Hill in April.

Bob

Back