We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Another Old Photo

2020-04-05_171657.jpg

Working on the 55 Gasser in the AM. Just got off the nightshift at the shipyard. 1967

View attachment 24355

Working on the 55 Gasser in the AM. Just got off the nightshift at the shipyard. 1967

I recognize that intake. My older brother built a (what we called a 301) bored out 283 back in the ‘60’s and had one of those side by side intakes with 2 AFB’s sitting on top. 30/30 cam, and a set of double hump heads, Jahns pistons.

This was real vintage hot rod stuff.

I recognize that intake. My older brother built a (what we called a 301) bored out 283 back in the ‘60’s and had one of those side by side intakes with 2 AFB’s sitting on top. 30/30 cam, and a set of double hump heads, Jahns pistons.

The sound of them two Carter's when you got 'er to launch off the secondaries....... h'AAWWWNKKK!!

On the dyno now, 2014 supercharged 5.0 Cobra Jet:

uGX26tOl.jpg

GJV2ZMjl.jpg

9xZMve1l.jpg

Jackie, that was fun back then. I had a 57 Chevy, in the Air Force, not a lot of money, but built a 301, two AFB's lot of compression, big heads, built loose, big oil pump, out ran everything around. I sometimes dream that I still have it in a barn. I'd give my left NUT to have it back.

Jackie, that was fun back then. I had a 57 Chevy, in the Air Force, not a lot of money, but built a 301, two AFB's lot of compression, big heads, built loose, big oil pump, out ran everything around. I sometimes dream that I still have it in a barn. I'd give my left NUT to have it back.

Life seemed a lot simpler back then.

When it comes to the 540 in my Malibu. I can quote the cam duration at .050, the lobe enters, the lift, how many CC’s the combustion chambers have, the piston dome volume, the deck height, the quench area, the intake and exhaust port volumes, and so on and so on.

Back then, it was, “man, she’s got a 3/4 cam and pop ups”.:p

Last edited:
The Simpler Life

Jackie
Racing was much simpler back then but for me, it was also a distraction. I didn't understand the politics and opposition to the war and everything else that was now wrong with our country. I didn't need someone to thank me for doing 4 years in the Corps but I didn't expect to be criticized for it. I happen to fall in with some guys at the shipyard who were of a like mind and into cars and guns That helped me a lot.
If you are getting down, you can't replace the lift you get power shifting a screaming small block Chevy.

Mort

Last edited:
Rebuilding double piston Corvette Disc Brakes

I put a lot of miles on the 66 Corvette but it sat around in the winter months. I tried to make a habit of getting into the car and working the brake pedal but it often wasn't enough.

When changing the oil I would sometimes find brake fluid on the backing plates. The first time around I bought some rebuilt units with stainless inserts. They were a little pricey but didn't last as long as I expected. How difficult can this be? I decided to rebuild them myself and save some money. I also liked doing it myself.

In the upper right corner of the photo are two homemade tools. One is the bracket for holding the caliper halves in a vise, and the other is for seating the pistons seals. One of the calipers has been rebuilt with a generous amount of GM sealant.

I haven't done this for over 15 years but I told my son who has the Corvette if he has any brake issues just pull the calipers, and I will see what I can do.

Mort

20210329_161114_Moment - Copy - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Been busy helping my pal with his CobraJet. Engine off the dyno and back in the car:

AW07Ivml.jpg

Lots of fab work to make a new intake and high capacity inter cooler work!

hRBI5hMl.jpg

In testing yesterday in St. Louis, all his hard work and effort payed off. He went 8.27 and 8.24 on the FSS/B 9.20 NHRA index! :cool:

It's a busy, busy race car shop. My main project is a freshen up on this Super Stock GT car that was owned by a late pal. Rear suspension freshen up, CO2 shifter rehab....lots of little stuff. I'm slated for test pilot duty in this one to reestablish a solid base line.

5O4dj3Tl.jpg

Last edited:
I bet you are looking forward to getting behind the wheel. This ride will be a little faster.

Mort

I bet you are looking forward to getting behind the wheel. This ride will be a little faster. Mort

This car runs 10.50's or so. My Nova Stocker went 10.90's so there won't be a lot of difference in quickness. There's a lot of difference in how to drive the car, though. -Al

What engine is in the car? Yes, your little Chevy was really quick! Mort

Mort, the Grand Am has the '94 265" 'Baby LT-I' engine in it. Basically, it's a 265" version of the LT-I and was used in taxi and fleet service cars.

This is the engine on the dyno and myself (lt) and Bob (rt) from a recent magazine article. -Al

V438iYfh.jpg

Last edited:
My pal Bob's dyno facility seems to be a magnet for engines that have quirky issues, don't live up to their potential or a combination of both. :eek:

The latest wayward air pump is this 440" small block Chevy with splayed valve heads. It was about 100 horsepower 'off' on the engine builders dyno and it ended up migrating here for corrective work. After a lot of work yesterday identifying and correcting one of the biggest issues they were struggling with, we ended up with a good baseline pull and finally have some data to work from. :cool:

EmJykzph.jpg

Mort, the Grand Am has the '94 265" 'Baby LT-I' engine in it. Basically, it's a 265" version of the LT-I and was used in taxi and fleet service cars.

This is the engine on the dyno and myself (lt) and Bob (rt) from a recent magazine article. -Al

V438iYfh.jpg

Thanks for the photo and engine info. I have never seen header flanges like that before.

Mort

Last edited:
I have never seen header flanges like that before. Mort

Mort, the headers use a splayed pattern and bolt to adapter plates that go between the cylinder head exhaust port and the header flange. The plate exactly mimics the exhaust port shape and in effect makes the exhaust port 'longer'. The biggest benefit is that the header tubes don't have to pinch in for the standard SBC mounting holes and obstruct the flow. They are sometimes referred to as 'Stahl' flanges as header pioneer Jere Stahl (along with Bill Jenkins) came up with the concept.

NHRA Stock Eliminator cars can't use the 'Stahl' flanges as the factory port size has to be maintained. In Super Stock, the ports can be modified, raised, welded, etc. as long as they retain the stock exhaust port volume. -Al

Last edited:
Back