We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

This week's work dyno work involved a very, very good 283/220 horse Chevy Super Stock engine. The horsepower not only at peak but across the gear rpm range was impressive. I can't disclose actual numbers but the shot of the console display with the engine coming down from peak rpm and the throttle closed will give some hints. Savvy types will note the oil pressure used at that rpm range. ;) -Al

OBMqs7Dl.jpg

35ZW1U1l.jpg

OK Racers....

How often does this sort of thing happen?

This is my first.

IMG_20210511_180839_0.jpg

I drove 'er in over two miles like this........ hadda'

Can't be a Ford....they just spit the entire spark plug out of the head! :mad:

alinwa, what you've got there is simply a spark plug quality issue. It happens. -Al

Kinda on-off topic

Some of my buddies here know of Michael Kavanaugh. I think Kav is about as good a custom painter, pin stripper, and graphics guy that I have seen and used.
Kav is now a Lt Commander in the Navy and has no time for custom painting, So!
I called a 35yr friend Frank Millsap. Frank owns the Sachse Rod Shop. http://www.sachserodshop.com/ I'm building a club level rimfire rifle and need the ugly maple stock painted. Frank said he had a painter named Kenny Youngblood that could do it for me. It seems Kenny is a well known painter and he said that I would be very happy with his work. After the Shilen Swap Meet on Saturday I will need to finish the bedding and work on the butt and get it to him next week.

Can't be a Ford....they just spit the entire spark plug out of the head! :mad:

alinwa, what you've got there is simply a spark plug quality issue. It happens. -Al

As I said.... my first :)

I figgered by now I'd busted trucks every way they could be busted but this was new. I've got 6 or 7 3500HD "1-Tons" yrs 95-99 that I use for light hauling.........The only years they made them were 1995-2000, kinda' like my 86-89 250R TRX's that they banned for being too good ......454 Vortecs that pull like a muthahh.

Anyways, these little trucks set like a turn-of-the-century pickup, I don't have to climb in and out of a giant phallus 10 times a day yet they'll carry a load. This truck has a curb weight just under 10K and I'm pulling Kelly Hill under 17,000lb of sloppy red clay in a 1-ton..... I'd just come up 3 miles of 12% that would have had a Duramax begging for mama and as I banked into a 16% slow-sharp 90 and put the bone to 'er she went "UhhhWHuuuuhhhhhHHHH BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM!........"

This is a haul road.... I flat-out KNOW there's gonna' be a truck-n-pup or a transfer or 2 rounding that corner within min and they ALL be done drop't a gear and foot-in-the-grill when they hit me....so I don't even flinch.

She humped up and grunted like a buckskin rubber and pulled the grade on 7 cylinders sounding like a 426 elephant motor with an open hole, floorboard pounding like my clutchfoot waiting for the tower to run down......

I got 'er landed 2mi down the road and popped the hood to see a fully functional sparkplug grounded to the framerail and strobing away merrily.

screwed 'er out

screwed 'er in

goodago

Covid isolation project

I agree with Jackie's theory, not growing old and saying I wish I had done so and so.
When the isolation of covid mess started I decided to do a project that I had been wanting to do for sometime.
I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler 2 door unlimited Rubicon, did not like the power (or the lack of) so I found a 6.0 liter (364 ci.) L77 Chevy V8 with a 6L80 transmission. Removed the 4.0 6, motor mounts, etc.
Put in new motor mounts, made transmission to transfer case adapter and many other mods. Including the exhaust system, and moving the engine oil cooler from the engine to the jeep frame because it and the front drive shaft wanted to occupy the same space.
It is a blast to drive and not lacking on power now.
I will try to attach some pics.
Sam Duke

Attachments

• 0E169060-89C9-41FA-9BE5-024CAA013703.jpeg
    0E169060-89C9-41FA-9BE5-024CAA013703.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 185
  • F3E5B559-DF44-4053-9E80-343CC0262DF6.jpeg
    F3E5B559-DF44-4053-9E80-343CC0262DF6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 204
  • 5954C8DA-B078-49E5-A5FA-02A744BC43DB.jpeg
    5954C8DA-B078-49E5-A5FA-02A744BC43DB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 196
This week's work dyno work involved a very, very good 283/220 horse Chevy Super Stock engine. The horsepower not only at peak but across the gear rpm range was impressive. I can't disclose actual numbers but the shot of the console display with the engine coming down from peak rpm and the throttle closed will give some hints. Savvy types will note the oil pressure used at that rpm range. ;) -Al

OBMqs7Dl.jpg

35ZW1U1l.jpg

Your engine of choice here I find really interesting. Hope to hear more.

Mort

My Buddy's Pontiac

Photo_2021-06-22_135959.jpg

This is an old photo of my buddy's K/SA at the Nationals. Bob's car ran well under the index but didn't make the finals here. He did beat another K/SA Pontiac in a heads-up run. We told Bob it was his first class win in 30 years so he should be happy...he didn't get a trophy but those days are long gone.

Mort

Last edited:
Back