We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

No more cars? or just some time off? My friend that raced in the 60s won't even go to the track.

Not sure where I go from here...we'll see what opportunities life puts out there. I'm on the BOD of Midwest Class Racers, the largest and most successful independent Stock/Super Stock association in the country. Last year, we promoted 22 Stock/Super Stock races in South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin. As NHRA continues to reduce the number of Sportsman cars at their events, the future of this type of racing is with independent organizations like ours. This season, we're folding the Heartland Stock/Super Stock association, based in eastern Iowa, in with MCR to further solidify that organization. While NHRA-style payouts are heavily weight at the top (Win/Runner Up/Semis), we pay bigger round money, start paying in the second round, and still pay good money to the winners. The formula works.

I was helping on the dyno Monday with this 327-250 Super Stock engine...the owner gave us free reign to do with it as we wished for tuning, jetting, cam timing, etc. It left making 12 more h.p. than it came in with! :D

7N1WV8Wl.jpg

This car is now local to me and available. I've never been much for flames but maybe they could grow on me.....????? ;)

K74cdiyl.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure where I go from here...we'll see what opportunities life puts out there. I'm on the BOD of Midwest Class Racers, the largest and most successful independent Stock/Super Stock association in the country. Last year, we promoted 22 Stock/Super Stock races in South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin. As NHRA continues to reduce the number of Sportsman cars at their events, the future of this type of racing is with independent organizations like ours. This season, we're folding the Heartland Stock/Super Stock association, based in eastern Iowa, in with MCR to further solidify that organization. While NHRA-style payouts are heavily weight at the top (Win/Runner Up/Semis), we pay bigger round money, start paying in the second round, and still pay good money to the winners. The formula works.

I was helping on the dyno Monday with this 327-250 Super Stock engine...the owner gave us free reign to do with it as we wished for tuning, jetting, cam timing, etc. It left making 12 more h.p. than it came in with! :D

7N1WV8Wl.jpg

This car is now local to me and available. I've never been much for flames but maybe they could grow on me.....????? ;)

K74cdiyl.jpg

Al, reminds me of my long trip back from Phoenix AZ in 1979, already having decided that I was through with boat racing.

I still hated to see it leave. In the end, all I kept was my Lifejacket.

Of course, I was much younger then. I could move on to something else.

If you are like me, you have a real fear of being a “Useta”. One of those old guys and sits around talking about the things he “used to do”.

That’s probably why I still insist on working at 73. Why I tinker with my Chevelle, why I am so obsessed with extreme accuracy shooting.

I can’t stand the thought of seeing younger men enjoying life and I am left with..... “I used to do that”.

Good luck with your next endeavor.

Yesterday's dyno project....a '94-'96 265 inch 'Baby LT-1' Super Stock engine. These are unique engines that only came in the Impala taxi cabs for fleet service. Basically, it's a 265" engine with the intake/plenum/throttle body of the 350 inch LT-1's.

Dynoing a EFI engine gets pretty complex with it's stand alone ECU and high pressure fuel system. We ran into a snag with the wiring harness as it didn't have provisions to trigger the injectors from the Holley ECU like it was supposed to have from Holley......sigh. :(:rolleyes:

We figured out an end-run around it but in the end a new harness from Holley was deemed the better option so as not to compromise the injector circuit. These things run close to 9,000 rpm so there are times it's best to regroup. This was one of those times!

We'll get back after it next week. -Al

ycJWtRTl.jpg

Al, reminds me of my long trip back from Phoenix AZ in 1979, already having decided that I was through with boat racing.

I still hated to see it leave. In the end, all I kept was my Lifejacket.

Of course, I was much younger then. I could move on to something else.

If you are like me, you have a real fear of being a “Useta”. One of those old guys and sits around talking about the things he “used to do”.

That’s probably why I still insist on working at 73. Why I tinker with my Chevelle, why I am so obsessed with extreme accuracy shooting.

I can’t stand the thought of seeing younger men enjoying life and I am left with..... “I used to do that”.

Good luck with your next endeavor.

Amen!

There's always something new to do and learn about. I spent yesterday running a big-azzed Hilti concrete impact driver...knocking concrete flash off the foundation of a new home build I'm helping on. :eek: -Al

Last edited:
Al is the kind of guy that is always willing to help someone. It is snowing here and I'm sure it is colder in South Dakota, so how can you be pouring concrete?

Mort

It is snowing here and I'm sure it is colder in South Dakota, so how can you be pouring concrete? Mort

Mort, no snow here and we've had above average temps. :)

The foundation was done mid June and the home owner has been bustin' azz getting stuff done as he's building it himself. I helped with the framing, trusses and roofing...generally whatever he needs a hand with. It's got in-floor heat so the slag around the outside walls needed to be removed and 1" thick textured insulated board glued to the exposed concrete between the foam board and the the siding.

It's a pretty cool build...the owner's great-great grandparents homesteaded the land in the 1860's. He bought the land and the old homestead farm place in his teens with dreams of someday building his own home there. He hung on to it through many ups and downs in his life and he's finally able to make his dream come true. True American Spirit! :cool: To be able to assist him in making that dream come true is both gratifying and humbling.

I'm hoping the weather hangs in there for a few more days. We have an outdoor wedding scheduled for this Saturday, Dec. 19th. Talk about pushing your luck in a South Dakota Winter! :eek: :) I've been asked to give the bride away as a representative of her late father...another honor that makes me realize what's really important in life. :)

Good shootin'. -Al

P.S. Hope the bullets arrived safely.

Al if the carpenter that formed the slab did his work right there should be no need for any flash removal. Tell us what you have decided about a new car?????

Back