We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

The front suspension is coming apart and will be juggling upper ball joint lengths and positioning to cure the negative camber at full suspension travel. When the camber gets too negative, the toe in changes excessively. Depending on where the front end ride height settles to, there could be a few .001's of a second there. With these stockers, the E.T. is where you find it...and it's not always under the hood. ;)

Lookin good Al.

Dave

When I was a little kid, I saw American Graffiti on TV (circa 1979). That movie struck a chord and years later I ended-up building this:

Not a yellow 5-window deuce, but it's in the same vein (chopped, fenderless, 4-speed, etc). I watched the movie again last night and it still moves me.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Very nice ride Lee.

Later
Dave

My old gasser

My son made this poster years ago. He would post these at Drag meets we attended.

Most of my photos really suck but this one actually works,just click on it.

View attachment 19273

Mort

Last edited:
Ian, the link expired before I got to it. When I renewed the insurance last summer Hagerty's told me it was worth $16,400.00. This for a #2 car which mine is. The 944's have appreciated a lot in the last couple of years. The first ten years I owned it, it was worth $6500.00. I had paid $7000.00 for it in 2003 and was a tad underwater for years. I knowingly paid a bit too much because of the low mileage and good condition.

It's going to need a timimg belt change this year and that's expensive... I'm guessing around $2000.00.

I just had the belt change and the dealer took pity on me... It cost a tad under a thousand bucks.

In a couple of weeks I will be loading the back end with shooting equipment and going to matches. One nice thing about 944's. There's room to do so. I had a really good looking 911 a few years ago and I never did figure out how to get both Glorya and my rifle in the darn thing. It went.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 492
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 470
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 509
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    970 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:
Clean Shorts

Jackie

I always enjoyed cleaning my cars even if we weren't going anywhere. When you have it detailed and know it's looking good, when you get inside and hit the key,
even the motor sounds better.

And yeah.....life is good.

Mort

Last edited:
Jackie, your '67 Malibu reminds me of the first new car I bought when I got home from the Army. It was a SS-396, same color as yours. Back in those days I would have never dreamed of owning a car with an air conditioner and an automatic transmission so it was a plain Jane by todays standards. I gave $3,000.00 for it, out the door. Boy, have times changed or what? :eek:

Gene Beggs

Toyota

Jackie, I don't follow Nascar quite as close as I used to, but it seems that NASCAR has taken something away from Toyota this year. What do you think?

Jackie, I don't follow Nascar quite as close as I used to, but it seems that NASCAR has taken something away from Toyota this year. What do you think?

It does seem that way. The Kyle Bush car has had some bad luck, he could easily have two wins, but at other times, like last Sunday, he was a mid packer. Hamlin, Kenseth, and Suarez are about the same.

Truex, who is basically an arm of the Gibbs team, ran good at times at Texas, lead a lot of laps, but then fell off. It could be that the 48 and 42 were running so good at the end.

It was really impressive in to watch the 48 come from the back and steadily get the car working. He passed a lot of cars. Equally impressive was Larson in the 42. He was forced to start in the back as well, even had a penalty, but could drive to the front in 30 laps. If the race would have been 3 more laps, I think he would have won the race.

Eric Jones was dominate in the Xfinity Race in his Toyota, but was at the rear in the Cup Race.

Last edited:
Jackie, I hope you will leave your '67 Chevelle just like it is. I've heard you talk about making more additions and mods but in my opinion, that would be a mistake. If not for the alloy wheels, it could easily be mistaken for completely stock. It's just beautiful!

With all that power, is it still pleasant to drive on the street?

Gene Beggs

Jackie, I hope you will leave your '67 Chevelle just like it is. I've heard you talk about making more additions and mods but in my opinion, that would be a mistake. If not for the alloy wheels, it could easily be mistaken for completely stock. It's just beautiful!

With all that power, is it still pleasant to drive on the street?

Gene Beggs

Gene, you must know that in reality, my Malibu is what one could call a custom "resto-mod".

The truth is while it still looks like a Chevelle in profile, about the only thing original on it is the windshield wiper motor.:D

As for drivability, one of the challenges in building a high horsepower street car is maintaing a degree of streetability. It is a Hot Rod, so to speak, with straight line acceleration being of paramount importance. Everything is geared toward that. But that real world "streetability" must include a first rate cooling system, great brakes, and the ability to run on what's in the pump at the local gas station.

Certain things are sacrificed. It's loud, the suspension is firm, it shifts hard, and has few creature comforts.

But what it does do, it does very well. It gets a lot of looks, and will scare the sh-t out you.

Back