We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

what is that you are riding?

It looks like a 350 Yamaha twin, but its been years since I threw a leg over one.

Start of the season

It's the time of year when shooters are looking forward to tournaments and racers are itching to get out for another season. A pal of mine did this 'enhanced' image of my car late last season.

Best of luck to everyone in your 2018 Benchrest season. :) -Al

41iOvLa.jpg

It's the time of year when shooters are looking forward to tournaments and racers are itching to get out for another season. A pal of mine did this 'enhanced' image of my car late last season.

Best of luck to everyone in your 2018 Benchrest season. :) -Al

41iOvLa.jpg

I love enhanced images of cars, I think Pat Kavanagh pioneered the technique

We had our first Stock/Super Stock race last weekend. More off season tweaks have picked up the performance a bit. One of the highlights was this second round match up. It was 'heads up', meaning both cars have the same index...first one there gets the win light. 'The Little Nova That Could' came out the winner against the swoopy Corvette. :)

Jackie....you driving the Chevelle? -Al

i544ktQl.jpg

We had our first Stock/Super Stock race last weekend. More off season tweaks have picked up the performance a bit. One of the highlights was this second round match up. It was 'heads up', meaning both cars have the same index...first one there gets the win light. 'The Little Nova That Could' came out the winner against the swoopy Corvette. :)

Jackie....you driving the Chevelle? -Al

i544ktQl.jpg

Yep. When it ain't raining.

Have you updated much on your Nova? There's always a few more tricks to learn.

Yep. When it ain't raining.

Have you updated much on your Nova? There's always a few more tricks to learn.

Jackie, I went to the dyno testing different oils and fuels. I'm really lucky to have a long time pal who has an in-house dyno as part of his race operation. NHRA has a list of accepted fuel for Stock Eliminator, so we have to work with those fuels. Ended up 'finding' 11 horse power in fuel and oil. Also moved some weight around on the car so it's better balanced and worked on some areas where parasitic drag naturally occurs....brakes, etc.

Like the rifles, you just keep chippin' away, right?

0LhVB0Yl.jpg

bmySGI7l.jpg

Al, I went back and read this entire thread. It's amazing it was 6 years ago, and everything we have done in that time. Not to mention we are all 6 years older.

What I would give to be 66 again:D

wheels

Al, Jackie, Dave,...thank you. My garage has changed a little bit. Gone are the 2 seaters. Being a little older now I decided a milder ride was in order.

Attachments

• phone 188.jpg
    phone 188.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 216
  • Fairmont6.jpg
    Fairmont6.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 259
Yeah, it's a trip Al. Dart Sportmans block, AFR heads, MSD fuel injection, tubular front suspension, 4 link with 3:55/8.8 locker in rear. It has embarrassed many drivers. 2800# wet.
Do the math.....hahahaha

Don't just leave it at that, David. Small block? Big block? Displacement? Cam?

Wagons are super cool. 2800 pounds? Good grief, my Malibu goes 3650 wet.

Jackie,
It is nothing special. The motor came out of a friends Cobra. 351 Dart Sportsman small block 9.5 deck with AFR 185 heads, MSD fuel injection, mild cam & BBK shorty headers. I just finished a stainless steel exhaust and MAN is it loud. UPR tubular K member, Koni street shocks and struts, coil overs up front with caster camber plates and a huge anti-sway bar in the rear. Initially the car would have traction issues and I did not want noticeable traction bars so I tried the horizontal shock setup and it worked. Hooks hard and straight. Disc brakes on all corners. Also has a 'fast' steering box for autocross so it is like a go cart. Looking to transplant a Shafiroff 427/630 SBF in the very near future. Need to up my game on the ice cream parlor circuit.
Cruise on,
David A.

Dream on....

https://youtu.be/A3cHREXcsf0

Yeah, it's a trip Al. Dart Sportmans block, AFR heads, MSD fuel injection, tubular front suspension, 4 link with 3:55/8.8 locker in rear. It has embarrassed many drivers. 2800# wet.
Do the math.....hahahaha

My 55 2dr post weighed more than that....how did you do it?

Mort

Jackie,
It is nothing special. The motor came out of a friends Cobra. 351 Dart Sportsman small block 9.5 deck with AFR 185 heads, MSD fuel injection, mild cam & BBK shorty headers. I just finished a stainless steel exhaust and MAN is it loud. UPR tubular K member, Koni street shocks and struts, coil overs up front with caster camber plates and a huge anti-sway bar in the rear. Initially the car would have traction issues and I did not want noticeable traction bars so I tried the horizontal shock setup and it worked. Hooks hard and straight. Disc brakes on all corners. Also has a 'fast' steering box for autocross so it is like a go cart. Looking to transplant a Shafiroff 427/630 SBF in the very near future. Need to up my game on the ice cream parlor circuit.
Cruise on,
David A.

Dream on....

https://youtu.be/A3cHREXcsf0

That's getting with it.

The Fairmont is basically a Fox body type chassis with a wagon body. All Mustang parts are plug and play. The car spec curb weight is 2800. The Chevy 210 is around 3330#. A new ZO6 is 3550# and a new Mustang GT is around 3700#. Most things (HP) being close the car hurts feelings on a regular basis. I drive it daily.

The Fairmont is basically a Fox body type chassis with a wagon body. All Mustang parts are plug and play. The car spec curb weight is 2800. The Chevy 210 is around 3330#. A new ZO6 is 3550# and a new Mustang GT is around 3700#. Most things (HP) being close the car hurts feelings on a regular basis. I drive it daily.

A real sleeper.....I like it.

Mort

Last edited:
Al, Jackie, Dave,...thank you. My garage has changed a little bit. Gone are the 2 seaters. Being a little older now I decided a milder ride was in order.

I am not a Ford guy but that is so friggin' cool I might just start haunting craigslist to get me some a' dat!

This was my last street fighter, circa 2014. It was built to be a sleeper with very few outward details. Other than the lowered stance from the Steeda suspension, it looked like nothing more than a super clean Fox body notchback.

The good pieces you couldn't see were the Powerdyne supercharger, high flow fuel system, BBK headers, 4.10's, all the Steeda suspension pieces, Rousch brakes, etc. With the 5 speed, it was a lot of fun and about all the power you could actually put to the street and use. Car was 2,850 with a half tank of VP C12 in the Jack Rousch 'Big Tank'. It cornered like it was on rails. :)

f4nAXzIl.jpg

VKgAuvgl.jpg

f319vool.jpg

bva1pQel.jpg

Clean ride Al.

My on track experiences were not great. The red Cobra had the Jag rear which was originally designed for 136 horsepower and a 185 size tire, not 500 horsepower and a 315 drag radial. Carnage ensued before logic interceded.

Attachments

• 75-80.jpg
    75-80.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 219
  • 2012-07-27_09-21-08_75.jpg
    2012-07-27_09-21-08_75.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Back